What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My first grow, i.e. a crazy crash course on cannabis cultivation

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
I asked in the chem 91' thread the other day if any dispo's have the legit chem 91' cut. The response I got from several members I respect the opinion of, was that prolly no dispo's have the real cut. More than likely anything dispos push as 91' isn't. Lots of them select from seed stock x's , or are outright selling clones labeled as something they are not.

It doesn't help matters any that there are supposedly 2 legit cuts of the 91'. Th skunk va cut is one and the other slips my mind.

Apothecary genetics supposedly had the cut and made s1's. That's what greenhouse sells. Then swerve made his '91 by using his deadhead og to make a bx2 onto their 91' clone. Those are the 2 "fakes" I as referring too. I have grown greenhouses version of the 91' (apothecary creation) and it was a real good representation of the cut imo.

I asked in the chem 91' thread the other day if any dispo's have the legit chem 91' cut. The response I got from several members I respect the opinion of, was that prolly no dispo's have the real cut. More than likely anything dispos push as 91' isn't. Lots of them select from seed stock x's , or are outright selling clones labeled as something they are not.

It doesn't help matters any that there are supposedly 2 legit cuts of the 91'. Th skunk va cut is one and the other slips my mind.

Apothecary genetics supposedly had the cut and made s1's. That's what greenhouse sells. Then swerve made his '91 by using his deadhead og to make a bx2 onto their 91' clone. Those are the 2 "fakes" I as referring too. I have grown greenhouses version of the 91' (apothecary creation) and it was a real good representation of the cut imo.

I'm happy to hear that you have successfully grown out the proper cut so that when I do get to that point my grow we will be able to get a fairly definitive answer on whether mine is the real genetics or not. And if so maybe I'll send a cutting your way. ;)

No more purple photos. Glasses arrived today. Oooh aaaahhh! My eyes thank thee! If you haven't tried method seven glasses, try it. Pretty cool.

if this is your first grow i wouldnt expect 2+, just trying to not have you get your hopes up an be disappointed. that sucks 2 of your units came damaged, there c.s. is good but imo there product is so so. if you have any other issues with the light id see about a refund vs replacement. just giving you heads up as ive yet to see a full run from someone i know that didnt have either a driver issue or a string of leds fail. lucky its not a bad drive to them but still

after a run you will likely only run 4 or so plants for that size 9 is just not needed unless your doing it so you have a sample of many types, but 1 or two strains will do you better than many especially when starting out and dialing it in. likely 2ft ish will be your money zone for that light. just my 2¢ good luck

if this is your first grow i wouldnt expect 2+, just trying to not have you get your hopes up an be disappointed. that sucks 2 of your units came damaged, there c.s. is good but imo there product is so so. if you have any other issues with the light id see about a refund vs replacement. just giving you heads up as ive yet to see a full run from someone i know that didnt have either a driver issue or a string of leds fail. lucky its not a bad drive to them but still

after a run you will likely only run 4 or so plants for that size 9 is just not needed unless your doing it so you have a sample of many types, but 1 or two strains will do you better than many especially when starting out and dialing it in. likely 2ft ish will be your money zone for that light. just my 2¢ good luck

I appreciate that. :) my original goal was 2, but I've decided to use only three instead of four, giving us 720w. I've adjusted my goal to be ~1.5.

Again I'll say GOAL. I've been around the block too many times to EXPECT anything. Ever. But I will always aim high to fall short rather than play it safe and never realize my potential. :dance013:

I can definitely see an improvement in growth since switching to the LEDs, much tighter node spacing. Honestly it would seem that all LEDs are manufactured in China and thus have their QC issues. Can you offer any more insight on the quality of Black Dog LEDs vs other manufacturers?

:) Thank you and good luck to you, sir!

Plants are doing silly things... Possible causes could be heat - sometimes I hit 83-84° @ 750ppm CO2 - could be overwatering - five minute fill, five minute flow, ten minute drain with lots of circulation and big airstone. Figured the airstone would make it difficult to overwater... But regardless, every five hours with lights on the tray floods, except a four hour window at noon to account for midday high temps. Perhaps I must lower my reservoir temp from 75-77° to 68° or so to compensate for the higher air temps. My Indicas aren't happy. Not to mention I'm in prime mold and bacteria growth water temp range. Should be cooler when I move the grow out of my house to a house with a/c this weekend. Starting temps should be about 10° cooler, thus my entire system should be 10° cooler. :) cool.

Grandaddy OG lookin mean.

Same leaf from top to show mutated profile.

Purple Berry.

I would appreciate any input I can get, as I've learned sometimes Mg deficiency displays like heat stress. But for the record, my vote is heat stress. :)

Thanks again!
-Kweku

N

NoSocSlic

My first thought on looking is high temps low rh. I have gotten through grows at those temps but it involves some manner of leaf curling usually. I will agree with the heat stress, and say I don't think it's Mg. If its nutes its too much of something burning them, but I don't think that is the case. Do the leaves feel very papery?

I would guess that it will improve when you get them into cooler temps.

My first thought on looking is high temps low rh. I have gotten through grows at those temps but it involves some manner of leaf curling usually. I will agree with the heat stress, and say I don't think it's Mg. If its nutes its too much of something burning them, but I don't think that is the case. Do the leaves feel very papery?

I would guess that it will improve when you get them into cooler temps.

Nah not papery... when I had spider mites the leaves were incredibly papery...

I honestly think I'm overwatering. I didn't think this was going to happen with as much oxygenation as I've got going on inside my reservoir. So, I think I'm going to adjust the timer to give one hour longer of drying time before each flood.

Just in case I was having some root rot/fungus problems due to high water temp of 75-77º I gave a good top dress with SM-90, and added another "dose" to the reservoir. I have since decided to stop with the SM-90, since I found a more gentle, all natural pest control/preventative that doesn't kill bennies in the meantime.

What is your opinion on that Cookies Kush above? Looks upset. :(

All advice encouraged and appreciated!
-Kweku

Dready_jake

So what size pots are they in and how long have they been there? And you said you water every five hours during lights on?

Dready_jake

Oh and that is definitely over watering if the pots are heavy still. A lot of people water coco too often when the roots haven't filled the pot. If its not rootbound it shouldn't get more than one watering every time its light. That's why its usually better to use a slightly smallish pot if you plan on multi waterings a day,they need to bee rootbound or they'll drown

Dready_jake

One last note since you have high temos and co2. Check out the vpd chart. Google or search here for it. With PROPER air circulation,and I mean Proper circulation, co2,a higher humidity and higher temps get some crazy numbers. The difference between mold and none is the fans.

Love LEDs I'll be watching too

In regard to your posts above, I have them in 2 gal. and 5 gal. fabric smart pots. The plants showing problems are only ones in 2 gal.s, all the 5 gal. plants are cool. The plants that seem to be affected are those of indica genetics, which I understand to prefer cooler dryer climate. So it would make sense, except, "why haven't my larger pot plants shown the same if not MORE severe symptoms than the smaller pots?" They are all flooded at the same time for the same time... I'm lost?

For what it's worth the plants have been in their pots for about 6 weeks, gonna flip to 12/12 on 4/20 ...tehe... But since air pruning happens in fabric pots, they should never be pot bound... Though I can assure you, the Cookies Kush - which shows the most severe symptoms, has the densest root system. Really why has no one touched my reservoir temps? They are optimal for root molds (the bad kind)... The fan I added to circulate from outside the closet door is also cooling the reservoir slightly, now at 72°, though 68-69° is my target to fall below "bad-shit-loves-to-grow-at-these" temps.

Thanks some more!
-Kweku

Last edited:
One last note since you have high temos and co2. Check out the vpd chart. Google or search here for it. With PROPER air circulation,and I mean Proper circulation, co2,a higher humidity and higher temps get some crazy numbers. The difference between mold and none is the fans.

Love LEDs I'll be watching too

This has opened my eyes tremendously. Currently have the water system switched off. Gonna leave it that way for about 12hrs (approx. 3 waterings withheld) to let the pots get back to proper. After looking at that VPD chart I grabbed my humidifier and threw it in there so fast. I'll let you know what comes of the dryer roots and wetter air. :)

P.s. Love the multiple posts instead of one. Man after my own heart. LOL! I'm notorious for hitting the SEND button as if it were the period key...

Or as if it were the space bar! LOL!

Thanks again!
-KA

Dready_jake

Ya high heat and low humidity combined with intense lighting will close up leaves like tacos. Do they get light in between waterings or are they kinda wet still. And how close is the light?

Dready_jake

This has opened my eyes tremendously. Currently have the water system switched off. Gonna leave it that way for about 12hrs (approx. 3 waterings withheld) to let the pots get back to proper. After looking at that VPD chart I grabbed my humidifier and threw it in there so fast. I'll let you know what comes of the dryer roots and wetter air. :)

P.s. Love the multiple posts instead of one. Man after my own heart. LOL! I'm notorious for hitting the SEND button as if it were the period key...

Or as if it were the space bar! LOL!

Thanks again!
-KA

Lmfao:laughing: my mind moves a mile a minute lol that's one reason I grow this beauty

Ya high heat and low humidity combined with intense lighting will close up leaves like tacos. Do they get light in between waterings or are they kinda wet still. And how close is the light?

They don't get all the way "light," but again, I'm oxygenating my water, shouldn't this negate overwatering issues? I mean, you can't overwater a DWC, but you can under oxygenate!

I'm currently going lights on 24, and just made a switch to 6hr watering intervals... I'll allow the stuff to dry out more before reinstating the automated watering regiment. Probably tomorrow night. The coco was definitely taking up a notable amount of water with each flood. I was watching my reservoir drop for the last couple days. I really hope I can get my res temps below 70° at any time. Still looking into this. Lights are 24" above plants, and when they move we'll be able to fit the 1ft extension to allow for even more room above the plants. In future grows I plan on "zero" runoff, so the tray will be on the floor, giving an additional 1ft, and the lights still have about 8-10" room to go up in the tent now. So I have about 3ft of headroom for stretch, not to mention any of the 24" between the canopy and lights.

I'm probably a little closer than I need to be at this point, and in three days the lights will be one foot higher, 10° cooler, res will be on foundation, not third story with living room below. I see more stable conditions in my future. :)

I think I answered all your questions. If not I'll get back to you. In five more posts than it should take! ;)

Cheers!
-Kweku

Dready_jake

Unfortunately. You can treat coco like a hydro medium but it's still limited by the capacity of the roots. I spent almost a month in these 4 in pots to make sure they can almost get light daily now I've upped it to 2. Sorry I'm talkitive in new lol

It's all good brutha. We'll let it dry and see from there. :) It would seem my next purchase will be a moisture meter.

I'm glad you're talkative, I joined just one week ago and I've already learned a lot! Welcome!

-Kweku

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
They don't get all the way "light," but again, I'm oxygenating my water, shouldn't this negate overwatering issues? I mean, you can't overwater a DWC, but you can under oxygenate!
when they are in veg and early flower they need to dry out in between waterings . especially if you are using straight coco with no perlite. also vegging plants love heat and high humidity.

those 4x4 tents fill up really quick... if you are going to put 9 plants in one then you hardly need to veg them at all. overcrowding / over-vegging is one of my biggest problems and its very counterproductive.

when they are in veg and early flower they need to dry out in between waterings . especially if you are using straight coco with no perlite. also vegging plants love heat and high humidity.

I agree. It's been difficult to find info on how often to water. And it would seem the answer is: learn how to read your plants better. So I'm working in that! ;)

those 4x4 tents fill up really quick... if you are going to put 9 plants in one then you hardly need to veg them at all. overcrowding / over-vegging is one of my biggest problems and its very counterproductive.
And I agree here completely... This is my first grow, so I kept fkkn everything up and taking a week to stabilize. Now I've been veg for too long and am about to pull three plants already. Yeah in the future I plan on veg less time with more plants for a SoG of mendo purps. So a sea of purple!!!

Thanks again! I'm going to look into a moisture meter and ideal coco moisture levels.

Will report back on what I hear. As an update, the temps have stabilized at about 79.5° and rh is steadily climbing from <50% now up to 55%!

Stay cool!
-KA

Last edited: