What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My first grow box

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Firstly nice job, having had to go back to some shady spaces lately myself you did a great job

if you can tie them down and keep doing it until week 3-4 of flower then they will hardly stretch much. maybe get a quantum board in there as well sometime, they really made a difference in my grows in a closet.

Athos

For what we consume, 3 oz every 3 months is enough. I could double the bulbs and get 156 watts in there at almost no cost.
Even more, I won a Mars hydro Epistar II 120 (250 watts power draw) that should fit in my box; I am still waiting for it to arrive though.

Last edited:

Athos

Day 35 of flower

Day 35 of flower

It’s the end of the 5th week

Plant A has stopped it’s stretch at 40 cm (16”), well with a bit of help of LST.

Plant B is much shorter measuring 28 cm (11”), most likely because it was bent much sooner and more severely resulting in a squatter and more even canopy; it also seems to 1 week late in it's development, so probably by next week it will have caught up in height to the other plant.

As I’ve been doing, I watered with only Cal-Max at 0.16 EC (80 PPM).

Enjoy this week pictures

Athos

Day 42

Day 42

And we have reached the end of the 6th week

Plant A has done some minor stretching that I have kept under control with LST so the height is still 40 cm (16”); all is going into bud production at this point.

Plant B. I’ve kept bending her, so its height is a meager 30 cm (12”), which finally allowed the 1st node colas to reach canopy level, contrary to what happened with the other plant, and past runs too. Flowers have finally started to form after the *stretch*.

Enjoy this week pictures

Athos

Day 49

Day 49

We have left the 7th week behind us.

Buds are filling really fast, most likely due the 20 hours’ light schedule; this is the best feature of auto flowering strains.

Following something I read somewhere, by increasing the exhaust I’ve kept flowering temperatures lower than my other runs, supposedly it stimulates bud growth and thricomes production; as a byproduct humidity has been lower than usual.

Plant A is putting everything into flowering and just at the end of the week it has shown the first signs of PK deficiency, so I upped the feeding strength from 0.65 EC to 1.35 EC; for those that wonder, I actually prefer to see this first signs of deficiency before upping the feeding strength, a slight deficiency does not impact yield and is easily and quickly fixed, but even a slight burn can be disastrous. I expect it to take 2 or 3 more weeks for a total of 9 to 10 weeks.

Plant B on the other hand looks like it will take another 4 or 5 weeks. I’m quite interested in how it will develop it’s flowers; with all the bending I did, most if not all the flowers are at canopy level, there’s no middle or lower buds.

As always, enjoy the pictures

Athos

I'm always skeptical about PC fans working with filters, so i really have to ask: Have you had any smell leaks since you changed to the new NF-A8 FLX & CAN 1500 combo?

Cheers mate

:lurk: SUBSCRIBED

I finally have an answer for you Gantz. I've had no smell leaking out of the box, the new fan/filter combo performs just as well as the old one, with the added benefit of been completely silent at 7.5 volts, even in the dead of night.

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
You are the man Athos. Thank you for being so thorough and for remembering my question. I am now even more inclined to copy your design. Thanks man.!

One thing. I have read around the threads that people don't recommend fim or any stressful technique for Autos. I usually try not to regurgitate everything I read but my own experience showed that there might be some truth to that idea. However I have seen that you've done it and your autos have thrived. Congratulations for that! Have they been on 20/4 their entire lives? You reckon the long hours of sunlight mitigated the damage?

Thanks man! :tiphat:

Athos

Most people think autos begin their flower stage due their age (in days, weeks, etc). I saw a video some time ago about a guy that had the hypotheses that they flowered depending on their stage of development, meaning how many nodes (pair of true leaves) they had, and by defoliating a plant over and over he kept it vegging for like 2 months.

What he found out is that auto strains begin their flower phase, once they have fully opened the 5th pair of true leaves, regardless of the age of the plant, so as long as you TOP / FIM before that, you are good to go; I FIM'ed above the 4th node cutting most the 5th pair of leaves and had no problem.

Since you are from Spain, I don't think you'll have problems watching the following video, everything is captioned in spanish (as for audio, it's only music, no voices or anything like that).

When you watch it, do let me know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhhlwNZso4U

Last edited:

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
Thanks man. That's really cool.
I live in Spain but i'm not from Spain. Time to exercise my knowledge of Spanish.

Cheers!

Athos

Day 56

Day 56

And it’s the end of the 8th week.

Plant A’s buds have finally started to swell, some pistils have gone red and thricomes are beginning to turn cloudy. I think it still has 1 or 2 weeks to go. Anyway, lower leaves are showing signs of deficiency, mostly P, some K and a bit of N. I’ll up the feeding yet again one last time.

Plant B is finally focusing all its energies on developing the buds and if it follows the behavior of its sister; the buds will grow explosively, but I expect 4 to 5 more weeks.

As always, enjoy the pictures.

Athos

Day 63

Day 63

We have come to the end of the 9th week.

Plant A’s thricomes matured overnight. I thought it would take another week or two, but alas it’s ready now, mostly cloudy with some amber. And at 62 days from seed, the plant has come down. I misjudged the time it would take, I’m not used to how fast the flowering goes with autos using long light cycles; thanks to this I did not flush the plant, thankfully I fed on the low side and so the plant is not full of nutes, so nothing that a good curing won’t solve.

Plant B now has the grow box for itself so I opened up the canopy to take advantage of the added space and light, it now looks like the tops multiplied, I wonder how this will affect the yield of this plant. I believe it has 2 weeks to go.

With only one plant the grow box humidity is lower than what I’m used to, since my humidity is usually high for the flowering phase.

As always, enjoy the pictures

Athos

Day 70

Day 70

Week 10 and we are almost there.

Plant A has been drying for 13 days and should be done any day now. I usually dry my stuff in 7 days, this time I’m trying a slower dry, just to see if there’s any difference.

Plant B’s calyxes finally have started to swell; thricomes are mostly cloudy with a few clear. All in all, I don’t think this will reach the end of the 11th week, judging from how the other one matured overnight

Enjoy the pictures.

Athos

Harvest

Harvest

And we have come to the end of the run.

Plant A was harvested at 62 days form seed (could have been a few days earlier) and plant B was harvested at 72 days from seed.

Wet weight was 389 grams and dry weight has come to 89.2 grams; using the flowering power (78 watts) as a reference we get a gpw of 1.14, the same as last run.

The heavier LST I used on plant B allowed for the first node colas to reach canopy level and develop nice colas.

I need to clean and disinfect the grow box and the pots. Have not decided what to grow next. I can either wait for spring to grow fem strains (I have quite a few strains around) or go ahead with the auto pineapple express from barney's farm that I have.

Athos

Royal Queen Seeds - Euphoria

Royal Queen Seeds - Euphoria

This run started during September. The second seed did not sprout, so I decided to run only 1 plant and I decided to try some modified mainlining, that's why it's taken so long. I topped the plant 4 times in order to get 16 tops (8 per sq ft).

Day 7

Day 12

Day 15 - zoom to new tops

Day 20

Day 20 - after topping again

Athos

Day 49

Day 56

Day 56

I'm not sure how long I have to keep vegging, since the plant will have to fill 2.2 sq ft, 2 or 3 weeks maybe? I have been using LST liberally keeping the plant at 5 inches tall