My first cross

Dr.Mantis

Hello everyone,

In my last grow, I ran a few strains to try and find the stinkiest ones. I ran:

Omuerta genetics Thousand Oaks F5
Oldschoolchronic Kentucky Red Hair Skunk F2
Tony Greens Maruf Black
Greenhouse Cheese
Some skunks and 70s Af from a member of another forum.

Although the conditions weren’t great, the Thousand Oaks F5 females are by far the most dank smelling, especially after curing. One smells like sulfury farts in the jar, I would call it “Dutch oven” if it were up to me. I also found a male of the TO that had a very loud stem rub, strongly rubbbery and pissy. I saved a fair amount of pollen from this male, and made F6 seeds with the stinker mom. Additionally, I hit many of the plants with this pollen, including two Maruf black ladies.

Here are the notes on the parents
Dad: Thousand Oaks f5 male. Stinky, rubbery, pissy stem rub. Nothing sweet or fruity.
Mom 1 : Maruf black -purple pheno. Somewhat earthy and sour, with a mild meat smell in the background.
Mom 2 : Maruf black - green pheno. Similar smell, without the meat smell.

I popped 10 of these F1s, and of the 10 9 sprouted successfully. I had some hiccups early on, but the plants seem to be recovering well. No signs of sex yet, but all the plants are growing well. The leaves seem indica dom (shocker lol). So far, most have a stem rub very similar to their pops. Still too early say anything conclusive, but I’m excited to flower these after my current run. My plan is to cross the females with a good male to make f2s. If I can’t find a good male, I’ll bx back to the dad.

3C060491-869C-412F-BD3A-A185B196423A.jpeg
F1s recovering nicely from my abuse.

4429F077-411F-494F-8265-4FAAF999CA0C.jpeg
The lower left plant is an old photo of the male father.

Dr.Mantis

I'm going to hook up with you on this one. Keep us posted friend.
Thanks creeper, I have high hopes for these. I also have about 40 or so more seeds of these F1s. My plan is to grow these seeds out produce a more refined set of genetics. I don’t know squat about breeding selections, but I’m only going to go for stink. I’ll keep things updated here as I go along. My current flower run is about 2-3 weeks from the finish line, so I think that should be enough veg time for these before flipping.

Dr.Mantis

Update:

I was gone for the last two weeks and the seedlings only got RO water because my reservoir gets gross with my organic liquid feed. So, there is definitely some nutrient issues, but I fed today with half strength nutes. So, they should be on the road to recovery.

Overall, the plants seem fairly similar in leaf morphology. The only major differences I’ve found so far are stem rub and vigor. About half seem to smell quite similar to their pops, while the other half almost smell like “mustard” - it sounds weird but it reminds me of when you open a jar of mustard that’s been sitting in the fridge a while.

No obvious signs of sex yet. The plants will be moved to flower in about 2 or so weeks.
A0BF840B-90EE-482B-BD87-0C14A2BF84C4.jpeg

Dr.Mantis

Update time!

The plants are doing well now. They have recovered quite well from the nutrient issues and have been potted up to slightly larger pots, 1.5L I think? I also pruned off the lower fan leaves and scraggly branches to promote bushing after topping the plants. In total I have 7 Maruf Black x TO F5 F1 seedlings going. Out of the 7, 5 are for sure female, one is for sure male, and the last is unknown. I’m gunna let them recover a few days from the defoliation then move them to flower.

Overall the stem rub is most similar to the dad, but a few have that mustard smell. I’m very interested to see how this pans out in flower. I’ll pollinate all of the females with the male to make some F2 seeds. I know this is way to small of a gene pool to start inbreeding a line, but I’m doing it for experience.

9BAB7C0C-0BF2-4BBD-B6DF-1294B8B2E111.jpeg

Dr.Mantis

Question for @Creeperpark: most of the plants have recovered nicely. However, a few have some yellowing. They are getting organic amendments and RO water. Any ideas what’s going on? Mg def?

82EAB1EE-1B08-4FC9-903F-BC128D72D423.jpeg

Edit: question was directed at creeper, but i appreciate input/suggestions from anyone.

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
The plant above has had a drop in the EC. Keep your food intake constant and don't swing between feed and water. Instead of giving a large dose of nutrients and then skipping with water only a few times, give a low dose of nutrients with every watering to maintain a steady EC. Another thing that may help you is to hold the run-off until the EC rises. Don't allow any discharge during the whole grow until the EC gets high again.

Dr.Mantis

The plant above has had a drop in the EC. Keep your food intake constant and don't swing between feed and water. Instead of giving a large dose of nutrients and then skipping with water only a few times, give a low dose of nutrients with every watering to maintain a steady EC. Another thing that may help you is to hold the run-off until the EC rises. Don't allow any discharge during the whole grow until the EC gets high again.
Thank you very much! That lines up exactly with the story of life for these seeds. They started out in soil that was too hot, so I cut back to only RO. Then, when I was out of town they showed some issues, so I fed again. So, exactly as you say, big swings in EC! I’ll check the run off today.

Dr.Mantis

Well, the plants were waaay too crowded in the veg tent. So, today I moved them into flower. They all are recovering very nicely from my EC abuse (thank you creeper!). All are female except for one, which I will use to pollinate all of the females for the F2 seeds. I also fed them all again with a little fermented hemp heart meal. I will feed them again about 4 or 5 weeks into flowering.

They are all pretty uniform in height and appearance except for one dwarfing female. Smell wise it’s pretty much the same, they either smell like the stanky dad on stem rub, or kind of like a mentholy mustard. I’m very excited to see how they flower!

58A4D5BB-C008-42CF-93FB-1A597A0E6CCC.jpeg
09529082-E08F-4A94-AF5C-1EC10E26FD7B.jpeg
E842EDDD-7752-4473-A5AC-D56F2D547D72.jpeg

Please excuse the dirty trays in the tent, I’m in the process of cleaning up!

Dr.Mantis

Hey, Doc those look good. Are you going to up-pot those into large containers for flowering or flowering them in the containers they are in?
Although I should pot them up, I’m going to keep them in these smaller containers for space purposes. Once I have F2 seeds I will grow them out in larger pots so they can express themselves better. I’m going to have to set up good automatic watering here to avoid and ec issues, I know once they start flowering that they will chug the water from such small pots.

Dr.Mantis

Alright,

We are just about 2 weeks since switching to 12/12. The plants are looking great. About 4 days ago I took the male out of the tent and put it in my bathroom. The cool thing I have seen with male plants is once the start producing almost mature pollen sacs, you can keep them under any light conditions and you will get plenty of pollen. I harvested a few sacs of pollen and hit a few top colas from all of the ladies. No aromas yet, other than the stinky tetraploid cheese plant I’ve been flowering in there for a while. I’ll give them their final feeding in about 2 weeks.

I’m excited for the flowers, and super excited for the F2 plants!

7393FF1F-594B-49C9-B239-8DC5CBD585A4.jpeg

Dr.Mantis

Well I’m about three weeks in from flip and things are getting interesting!

All the ladies are looking good, and I’m starting to notice some differences. Some have tighter node spacing, others are frosting earlier, and some are starting to develop aromas.

I was a little worried last week after I hit them with the male pollen, the pistils didn’t really change that much. All the other times I’ve pollinated plants, the pistils usually change to orange within 24hrs. This time, there weren’t any obvious changes, so I thought the pollen was possibly sterile. The good news is, today I noticed seeds developing on all the branches I hit! So, it looks like the F2 seeds are on the way.

Here are a few shots of the different F1 ladies. Smells range from “sweet newly flowering weed” to a more earthy leathery note.

D7C38010-456A-4F64-BB1A-EF41E2F42060.jpeg
120FD3B4-95B2-4FF2-9482-A2107B89474A.jpeg
69805429-73F7-4707-962F-63A255718A56.jpeg
69805429-73F7-4707-962F-63A255718A56.jpeg
87244F67-E18D-4538-A47C-C56F02141F94.jpeg
AFBACB40-0216-413B-AC1D-6EF0014FA0B9.jpeg

Dr.Mantis

Getting close to week six I think. Ladies are starting to shed fan leaves, some color is coming in on a few and aromas are starting to intensify.

The nugs are very heavy and dense, with some plants starting to tilt over. So far, the smell is either afghan or TO on the ladies (shocker lol). One of the ladies in particular has that rank TO smell, I may save specific F2 seeds from her to grow out. Rather than mix all the F2 seeds together. I’m guessing most of these will need 9-10 weeks.
6D801356-3682-4743-91D6-C49BE4EA1F1E.jpeg
FA835538-0078-43AF-9457-FFCCADA44515.jpeg
356A12A9-8B50-4B3F-BECF-F8ADAE5315A0.jpeg

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Getting close to week six I think. Ladies are starting to shed fan leaves, some color is coming in on a few and aromas are starting to intensify.

The nugs are very heavy and dense, with some plants starting to tilt over. So far, the smell is either afghan or TO on the ladies (shocker lol). One of the ladies in particular has that rank TO smell, I may save specific F2 seeds from her to grow out. Rather than mix all the F2 seeds together. I’m guessing most of these will need 9-10 weeks.
View attachment 18878091
View attachment 18878092
View attachment 18878093
Those are pretty. What kind of water do you use?