What's new

My First Attempt

kodman111

*NOTE* Design has changed from Original Post.

I have re-done my design and have almost completely built my cab. Pictures below are to show cab. Will be posting more pictures.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Attachments

• pc-case.jpg
    pc-case.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Hello kodman. That fan setup is not quite there. You want an exhaust fan as your priority. Some people do use intake fans but that's pretty much always in conjunction with an exhaust (doing most of the work). Can't think of a single grow that only uses intake fans although I'm sure they're out there. So yeah, have your best fan/s as exhaust.

You will only need two power points so why not use a double adaptor instead of a whole power splitter?

About the webcam, will they focus at such a short range? Well, best of luck. :yes:

kodman111

Thanks for the post scrubninja.

I will have fans pulling/sucking air through the filter. I am heading to Home depot today to get my lights and some petrolite. I will be looking at venting systems to get some better ideas. I was thinking I can get away with the Scrub on the outside of the case. since ninja isn't necessary just smell is my main concern.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
The problem with it being on the outside is how to locate a fan that sucks thru the filter. You have to enclose the external filter so as to be able to create negative pressure (sucking). Check my cupboard out if you need an idea for that, I used a rubbermaid.

kodman111

New design - Final descision

New design - Final descision

ScrubNinja, I feel what your saying. I went to Home Depot just after posting my last post. Kinda worked out.

First thing is I have change my designed completely. I will be using a plastic tub which I believe is close to your design? haven't had time to look yet.

The tub is slightly taller then the pc case I had, and is larger in width by a lot.

This new plan has the following items in it's design:
4 60 Watt CFL's
4 40 Watt CFL's
4 Total fans (unless more are needed)

I Took my plastic tub and lined the inside with reflective bubble wrap type stuff. and hot glued it to the side of the container. I will be covering the bottom of the lid as well.

I am going to take a piece of plywood the same size as the lid and cover the lid and secure them together. Them screw my lights on the bottom of the lid with them facing slightly down at an angle.

I will have 2 intake fans (one top one bottom) and one exhaust with scrub in the lid.(clean air is the most important part of whole design.)

Pictures are worth a 1000 words so take a look :)

http://img145.imageshack.us/i/plasticware.png/

PS> Sorry for image quality, can only do so much with a touch pad on a laptop. MSpaint > words lol

kodman111

Forgot to add something cool:
Dude at Home Depot was stoned, convinced him to break open a huge ass bag of perlite and dump a depot bag full for free. Woot I gots them hook ups.

Another note for thought: My brother (experienced grower) said I probably am a bit over kill on lighting. Im running aprox. 2900 lumins/SqFT with all lights on. Is thinking heat will be a huge problem. any thoughts would be nice.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Well, 400 watts is definitely overkill, no question, but I suspect you're reading the "equivalent" wattage, not the real, lower wattage. I don't work in lumens so I'm not sure. I always look at wattage and you'd want in the area of 50 to 100 *real* watts per square foot. (preferably the higher end or more if temps allow)

Great idea with the wooden roof. :yes: There's a perlite factory not too far from me, last time I got some it was about $4us for a 120 litre sack :D

About the intakes, you always want intakes low. Unless they're for a vented hood or something. I know where you're coming from - the top intake will cool the lights, right? Well by all means try it, but I think you'd be better served by only low intakes, and an internal fan blowing on the bulbs. For example, link me to a succesfully cooled grow with intakes on the roof or near to....will be pretty hard to find.

If you really want to sidestep any potential heat problems, look into a glass heat shield for the lights and having a seperate air cooling system for the lights.

Red Greenery's cabs are great examples of this and he has a rubbermaid thread where he uses a shield too, I'm pretty sure.

Good luck, do we get any pics? :)

kodman111

You the man ninja,

I think it would be wise to consider your thoughts on top in taking. As I am new at the whole thing. Heat was one concern, but mostly "Getting them babies moving" was my though. Were an internal fan might just be a better idea with lower to the floor intakes. Will do this when the time comes to cut my plastic tub.

I have been reading many of Doc's threads, Was my first inspiration to this forums.

I will post some pics tonight, but not much to show as of yet. got almost all my things gathered that I will need, minus fans, Carbon, and ducting.

Now that I think about it I did see on the bulb's them self's different wattage's. bastards saying "as good as".... NO... don't trick me lol. will recheck the labels and recalculate.

Much appreciate the help!

PS> perlite = cheap.... But getting stoned guy to break rules and give free shit = fun

ScrubNinja

Veteran
PS> perlite = cheap.... But getting stoned guy to break rules and give free shit = fun

Hehe true, man. Hey I just noticed your earlier question about seeds and clones. IC mag is sort of the forum for SeedBoutique.com and they have a pretty good rep in general.

Wouldn't you get clones from a dispensary? We don't have a medicinal system here but that's how I thought it worked. I know that *some* have clones, anyway. :abduct:

kodman111

Here is a pic I had my girlfriend take. She's at home, I'm at work lol.

She actually did what you see for me. damn good job if I say so my self. Shes a good girl :)

attachment.php

As far as dispensary's, We don't have those here in Oregon. We have the OMMP(Oregon Medical Marijuana Program) Which allows us to Smoke/Grow, but if we want pot, we have to grow or have it grown. I have heard rumors that OHSU Hospitle is trying to get Oregon legislature to allow them to setup their "Weed Vending Machine" for OMMP paitence who are insured by OHSU plans.

I am in dire need of some seeds. Wish people trust one another (or could trust one another) enough to share the love (From a plant in which all should be allowed to love)

I havn't bought a bag with seeds in it since 2000 :p. My people are too good at what they do I guess. all of them say "yea sure ill get you some clones or seeds" but when I ask about it again it always a turn around BS "Ill do it yeah yeah yeah"

closest thing Ive had to a plant was 6 seeds I found in an old bag that all turned out male (lucky me). I have 1 out of the 6 seeds left that I havn't done nothing with. I am going to sprout it in a day or too. But with my luck... you understand.

PS> Had my girl look at labels on bulbs
4 bulbs x 14w = 56w
4 bulbs x 9w = 36w
all 8 = 92w/2 SqFt

Attachments

• 0828092203.jpg
    0828092203.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 6

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Yeah that wattage is a little underpowered bro. I would say just order some seeds. I hate to sound cold but in the long run it's a cold world, nobody is looking out for you, and they won't just appear if you don't make steps towards making them appear. Gosh, I sound like a personal motivator. Haha.

Box looks good anyway. Your girl is a keeper. :yes:

kodman111

haha, Scrub your a kick. I do appreciate the words though.

Being my first grow and all I guess I over looked a key aspect... READ TEH BOX BETTER! lol. will have to grab some higher watt bulbs at the local store. Home depot is quite a drive from were I live.

seeds, I will probably just buy some online. but my true problem with that is who to trust and who is reliable. I can assume I guess that this site that supports these forums would be a good shot. I'm just so skeptical with buying things online.

lordbudly

Veteran
hey what kind of pain are you treating? actual physical pain, nerve pain, or something psychological? if you order https://www.seedboutique.com/store/product_info.php?currency=USD&manufacturers_id=15&products_id=156 its a great basic, afghan, no f1 this, or phenotype that, just this afghan, and that afghan, but its all afghan, or https://www.seedboutique.com/store/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=15&products_id=157 which is northern lights x afghan, both heavy indicas, so all phenotypes are great, and northern lights is pretty much a worked afghan cross, and both are good to run as a first timer
and you get 5 free pure power plant fem seeds, you could order 10 of them to if you like them, and gaurenteed females so you get 5 plants to sample to see if you like https://www.seedboutique.com/store/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=15&products_id=190

ScrubNinja

Veteran
My last order from SB didn't arrive but oh well, you have to write it off as a customs find. I ordered from another place as well and they didn't turn up either. 3 packs total. Sucks but not much you can do.

All I can say for your friends is - money or bribes is a big motivator. Rock up with a fat sack and drop it on their table. That's when you mention you also just bought some cloning gel and have a backpack full of propagation equipment and uhh, "how's about them clones now?" :D

kodman111

Lord,

I am a non-medical trying to become a medical patient in the state of oregon. Most of my use up to last year was pure enjoyment, now I'm finding my self using it more as a medication.

I was in a motor cycle accident in 2008 on fathers day.(Rainy day, fearless trail riding, large rock, small tree, one fucked up knee)

Most of my use at this time is to fall asleep (after a long day and stressing the knee) where as fewer often is pain relief in the working part of the day.

Right now I'm going to grow, what ever I can get my hands on. But eventually I want 2 kinda growing. 1 day(light buzz, get off your feet and work) and 1 night (puff puff, Lights OUT)

Your thoughts are appreciated and I plan to try to get some of them femi seads from the site, once I can get some extra cash :)

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Hey man I have almost the same story as you. I was riding my trail bike back from checking the girls, winding it right out and took a corner too wide, launched off a bank into a forest, lol, at night. Now my collarbone is all messed up. Still, it's probably better to break a collarbone than a knee.

I have always gone through a friend and tagged onto his orders so I don't have to worry about anonymous payment or finding a safe address. I don't know much about it but I don't think anyone would want their info associated with tracking the package? Not too sure how that side of it works.

Oh I meant to say too - have a look at the Flying Dutchmen's "The Pure" I find it's great for my condition. It's a very old classic strain from the late 70's I think. I believe it was the original Skunk #1 before they changed the formula. Last time I looked it was one of the cheapest strains available :yoinks: Seriously good value.

kodman111

Well just got home from work. Smoke a few little bowls before I eat something small. Saw the woman's lovely work.Girl has some taping skills lol.

Scrub,

I was hailing ass riding with my father and he was in front of me, He took this stupid little jump and then I went behind him hitting the jump from a different angle, when I came down my front tire landed on a flat, wet, slimy rock and cause the bike to slide on it's side. Landed knee first on my right knee on the rock, and the bike (and my full weight) came down on top of my knee. then slid about 20 feet up against a tree and the bike pinned me.

Luckily no broken bones. bruised my femur(i think its spelled?) and destroyed all the cartilage in my right knee from the shock. But servilely hurt the skin around the knee and was in wrappings and this... waxy, gell shit I had to put on it.

knee is still trying to heal, have no feeling in left side (kinda cool to poke at) I often (3-4 times a week) get pains from the inside of my knee, causes me whole right knee/hip area to hurt/feel like its about to split in half (like shin whats you ma fuckits).

now I'm here, in the vast forum of knowledge, learning from the best Growers on earth (next to God, but some don't believe in him, Some doubt his ganja skills, and he's not on earth) on how to grow some premium ganja stix.

*end of stoned rant*

ScrubNinja

Veteran
lol bikes are great aren't they. I was passed out just beside a public road for half an hour with a backpack full of weed, ph meters etc, and a camera with even more incriminating stuff on it, heheh :eek::

The worst bit was hauling 80 litres of water up a cliff with a broken collarbone. Plus one day some rangers decided to chase me so I had to evade them with my arm like it was and the ubiquitous huge backpack filled with heavy incriminating gear.

If weed was legal, life would be a lot more sedate, I reckon. :smoke:

kodman111

Reminds me of a song quote. "people killin people diein, children hurtin'n'Cryin. can you practice what you preach, or will you turn the other cheek"

This world just needs a giant bong hit. Need to gather all the weed in the world and catch it in one big fire to make enough smoke to cover the world!!!! (I think the vicodin. I took this morning is making think weird)

Well an update on the grow: Still waiting for any signs of seeds/Clones. I have about 5 people on it. I started germinating the ONE seed that I have left (5 out of 6 were male) In hopes that this will be my lucky bean. Its a pretty seed light brown with dark black tiger stripes. The 5 males I had were very beautiful plants. grew big and strong fast. Lets hope I can get a female this time around.

In the mean time I'm working on getting the rest of the components to my grow-op. 4 pc's fans. some ducting, and a home made carbon filter.

Carbon Filter:

I would like to take a second to say there are a few awsome tutorials on this site on making these. One that I would like to give props too and Im going to attempt to replicate is from Vany at http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=130922 post #6.