What's new

My Diary... The beginning...

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
AC #2. Window unit for intake, connects to a 265 cfm blower inside the room..
33c3cb9e.jpg

[/IMG]

How long has the AC been operating in a Vertical position?
I was told by 3 different AC companies not to do that
I am wondering how that one is working....with the excess water?
Where does it drain...?
into the compressor?

kushism

nope not into the compressor.. this ac unit has been functioning vertically for over 3 years.. 1st as just an ac unit to cool the room it was in before being used as an intake. it still cranks out 60 degree air no problems. yes excess water was an issue, but a little creative construction solved that.. i drilled "weep" holes in the side and laid a piece of industrial metal track under the weep holes.. water easily drains out into the track piece which is angled to drain the water into a waiting dubbermaid... excess water issue solved...

kushism

Just want to also say WELCOME EVERYONE!!!!!:woohoo:

trying to ditch the anti-social ways :)

Glad you all dropped by, grab your :lurk:,
Spark your :joint:, and
pull up a seat..

This is my 1st hydro grow, and is just the beginning of the story.. Glad to be able to share it with you all!

kushism

again it is my pleasure socbutter!! i am glad to help anyway i can. Do not hesitate to ask any questions.. I will be checking out your journal and watching with interest :) Stop by any time.

Bon.G.Loder

nope not into the compressor.. this ac unit has been functioning vertically for over 3 years.. 1st as just an ac unit to cool the room it was in before being used as an intake. it still cranks out 60 degree air no problems. yes excess water was an issue, but a little creative construction solved that.. i drilled "weep" holes in the side and laid a piece of industrial metal track under the weep holes.. water easily drains out into the track piece which is angled to drain the water into a waiting dubbermaid... excess water issue solved...

Ha ha ha, freaking awesome! Kushism, I just love the ingenuity of growers. If there are obstacles in the road we just grow around it!!! My new porto AC if tending to condensate about a gallon while out at work(bout 8-10hrs).

Stevius

So here are you hiding...
Nice setup and some nice ladies. I would also like to have some of that OG.

One question:
You said that you have your AC connected to 600W HPS then to 1000W MH and then again HPS with 1000W. I was just wondering if it would be better if you would switch the 600 and 1000 HPS? So that AC would be connected to 1000W HPS first, since it produces more heat than 600W. So that it would be: AC > 1000W HPS > 1000W MH > 600 HPS ???

AC ducted to the 600w, ducted to the 1000w MH, then onwards to a (not pictured)1000w HPS then out through an 8" Vortex.. Again 3 weeks into veg.
e343e5a6.jpg

Just an suggestion...

Otherwise, lookin good! :yes:

Stay safe :wave:

kushism

The duct connected to the hood is the AC's exhaust, and it is constantly blowing hot air, but i have been considering that.. Been looking at ways to make my cooling even more efficient.. If the duct from the AC was actually cool air i might think swapping the 600 and 1000 more of a priority.. i kinda rushed in setting up the room for the 1st run.. i have 21 days till harvest, and i think a better plan will be to replace the 600 with a 1000 hps.. I am planning on replacing the MH with an hps of the same wattage.. I am also looking at getting some new hoods.. I am thinking using 2 Yield Master™ II 6" Air-Cooled Reflector Supreme on each end, with a Magnum XXXL in the center.. This setup would provide ideal light coverage. My 600 is on a digi ballast that can run hps or mh, so i may just use the 600 with an mh bulb for the veg setup i am building.. it was just one of those things i didn;t really think about, and i was using equipment that a few partners had on hand... i think i did it that way cause the hood on the 600 has 4" duct fittings, which were closer in size to the 5" ac duct.. was easier to reduce the duct to 4" than expand it to 6". plus i wanted the exhaust from the ac pulled right out of the room along with the heat from the lights and i wanted it filtered as well..

In the long run i want to intake my lights from a colder fresh air source outside the room, ie my AC window intake unit. that way the lights will have their own cool air seperate of the room itself.. this point was raised in a different thread, and after i considered it i think it is a good idea.. I want to have the in-room AC unit providing the cold air for the room itself, and ehausting on it's own through a duct booster into a small carbon filter outside the room. i want to add another exhaust, probably a 6" vortex with a can filter on it as an intake just as a secondary. It may seem like overkill, but i think with this setup i would never see temps higher than 72 on a 110 degree day if i wanted the lights on during the day..

lol i know i can visualize better graphically so here we go | = a wall = is ducting

airflow --> ---> ----->
[window ac]==|==[1000w]===[1000w]===[1000w]===[8" vortex]=|===[carbon filter]
(outside room) | inside room | (outside room)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
airflow ----> ---> --->
[IN-Room Ac exhaust] ==== [175 cfm duct booster]===|===[carbon filter]
(inside room) (inside room) (outside room)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
airflow ---> ---> --->
[carbon filter][6"vortex]====|=====
(inside room)(inside room) (exhaust to outside)
----------------------------------------------------------
this is how i want it setup up in the long run..
i am obsessive about charcoal filters cause i want ALL air escaping the room to be filtered, regardless.. I do not trust hoods so much as to think they are completely sealed and do not pull scented air from the room into them, and pass it out the exhaust. ie the filter at the end of the lights, and the filter on the ac exhaust. As it is i am using a 740 cfm exhaust, pulling through 3 hoods and an AC unit exhaust.. it creates huge suction in the room even with the 265 cfm intake i am using, ensuring all the air is exhausted through the 8" and the filter.. adding the duct booster to the ac, and the 2nd filter/exhaust i am going to increase the suction in the room via exhaust somewhat proportional to the increase in intake.. ie 740 cfm exhaust/265cfm intake now to a 1050-1100 cfm exhaust/450 cfm intake. that way there will always be alot more suction/exhaust then intake..

You raise an awesome point tho, and give me alot to think about. Great advice!! Thanks.. as for the OG.. if your in so-cal, and have a script, let me know..

Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for the excellent advice :)

Stevius

actually i have been considering that.. i kinda rushed in setting up the room for the 1st run.. i have 21 days till harvest, and i think once i tear the room down i will swap it.. it was just one of those things i didn;t really think about.. Good advice!! Thanks.. as for the OG.. if your in so-cal, and have a script, we might be able to work something out..

Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for the excellent advice :)

so-cal? :D No man.... Fuckin Europe!

kushism

LoL damnit..... well if i could ship clones i would... i have no issue's sharing genetics with cool heads.
i updated the original response to your ac/light question stevius.. may be a little long winded, but it gave me a great opportunity to really think about my cooling/exhaust, and how i wanted to really have it set up..

as a side note, i do plan on visiting europe in the next year or so, preferably the dam and perhaps some of germany.. not really sure yet, as it's still in the planning stages. any advice on cool spots or things to see, that are not super touristy? even if they aren't in germany or amsterdam?

Stevius

Well one thing I can offer you and it surely is not "super-touristy" is a nice chilled ride with my little boat, some beers and of course spliffs! But you would have to go a little bit southern from Adam... about +1200 km :D

kushism

dude boat rides are awesome.. any fishing action around there?? if my math and calculations are correct you are in or near a pretty rad spot, and probably definitely worth visiting :D

Stevius

Fishing.... no prob. Though you need a permit for fishin... but we can manage that, no worries :D

Quite nice place. Lots of Italians, though it is not Italy. But then again... Italians are everywhere :biglaugh:

kushism

well i kinda figure that you either live in a place with ALOT of history and a huge port, or a really really rich, fancy area ;) either way, both would be cool to check out

Italians are everywhere, they are here in so-cal, but not in the numbers that they are on the east coast..

kushism

Update::

Ok i have about 2 weeks to go before harvest.. just when i thought things couldn;t get any bigger or frostier, they are slowly swelling, and just oozing resin.. I had to tie my og plants up cause they were getting really heavy.. things are looking fantastic!! will post new pics in a day or so..

wolfeman

Hey Kush, I thought I'd drop by and check out your grow. Looks great bro...

If you remember, I'm the guy that posted "no water for three days" a few weeks ago- and you were kind enough to offer some advice without flaming...Your tidbit about being antisocial really struck a cord with me; like many here I have almost no one to talk to about this. So I've decided to get in the game and participate here more as well.

I'm in Norcal myself- (East Bay) See you around and thanks!

kushism

Thanks for checking things out :) i am actually going to be posting more pics tongiht.. 15 days to go, and things are just looking amazing.. I read your reply to your no water thread.. Bummer they didn;t come back, but all in all sounds like things worked out. I had a very similar issue, not as bad, but similar. one of my drippers stopped dripping for like 3 or 4 days, and that plant was not happy, all the leaves were limp.. i replaced the dripper, and here a week later you cannot even tell.. the buds on that particular plant are looking just like the rest.. Plants are decently resilient.

It's hard not to be excited and want to talk about growing, but in the name of security we all know it's not the smartest thing to do. I do have a small network of growers i can talk about it with, but it is hard spending day after day waiting excitedly with no outlet.. ICMag really helps..

How is the weather in the east bay lately?? It's starting to get hot down here (los angeles)