What's new

my computer's fried

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can only access the net in 'safe-mode' which isn't very safe actually.

I allowed remote access to a technician who could do nothing to help. the problem being is that when I turn on my pc it doesn't get to the point where my desktop icons become accessible, so I can't sign into Firefox or IE to go online.

Any ideas from you guys would be appreciated or I'll be heading out tonight to buy a new tower.

master shake

What operating system? Guessing vista, 7 or xp...
If Startup Repair is a preinstalled recovery option on your computer:

Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer.

Click the Start button Picture of Start button, click the arrow next to the Lock button Picture of Lock button, and then click Restart.

Do one of the following:

If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you will need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to repair, and then press and hold F8.

On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Repair your computer, and then press ENTER. (If Repair your computer is not listed as an option, then your computer does not include Startup Repair as a preinstalled recovery option.)

Select a keyboard layout, and then click Next.

Select a user name and enter the password, and then click OK.

On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair. Startup Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem and, if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Startup-Repair-frequently-asked-questions

SuperSizeMe

A foot without a sock...
Veteran
Without being in front of it, hard to diagnose if it's a hardware/software issue, brother.

Sounds as if it could be a post-up issue(hardware).

Have you tried reloading the OS?

On another note:

If you have anything you'd like to save, do it now while you can(pics,proggies,data etc.)

GL :ying:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
msconfig in the run box during safe mode, turn off all start-ups you don't know & trust.
this will work if you have a malware that has an start-up with the windows rule.
then try to start it normally.

SuperSizeMe

A foot without a sock...
Veteran
msconfig in the run box during safe mode, turn off all start-ups you don't know & trust.
this will work if you have a malware that has an start-up with the windows rule.
then try to start it normally.

After re-reading, it does sound as if you may have been hijacked, if so, it shouldn't be too hard of a fix.

I'd be curious to hear how you make out. :)

westfalia

I'd try a Restore.

Click>all programs
>accessories
>system tools
>restore

Pick a date that you know your system ran ok.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I think you need to set up a restore point before using it to restore your pc to that time.
But it you have a restore point that you can use, could solve all this fast.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
reformat the HD. If you can run in safe mode you have a curpt reg or bad driver file.

I do this anyway. The longest I have gone without a reformat is about 2 years

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
OK, I've tried (& or the tech previously) all of the above, the tech even tried the trend-micro 'HijackThis' program but kept getting stopped w/a message stating "The administrator has elected to disable the software needed to run this program" or something close to that effect.

I have not yet tried running my recovery disc which looks to be homemade by me as I recall collecting it online shortly after registering my E Machine tower, it's 2 discs I have marked E Machine system backup, I can only hope.

I'll try this tonight after I download all of my pictures & a couple of other programs.......

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Try to load only basics from msconfig, maybe the threat is already infiltrated as a service. if not, sounds like some app corupted your registry.. then, for you simplest option is to re-install it. (or full recover)
save all you want to keep, and good luck! :wave:

Iraganji

Good luck mate, I need my computer like I need air. ;)

I also have found with microsoft products that a re-format and re-install were necessary occasionally. Eventually I wised up enough to partition the hard drives or add drives to keep everything separate from the OS drive. Lots less painful to do a wipe and re-install when the only thing on drive c is the os.

GR8FUL1

It sounds like a maleware infection.I know of one that is real nasty,called security shield.This thing even looks like a windows security update.If you can get your computer to run in safe mode with networking, you can download any security updates through the windows update icon on your start menu.Also download microsoft security essentials,it's free from microsoft.Good luck.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I also have found with microsoft products that a re-format and re-install were necessary occasionally.
actually, with a little experience, good settings and time to time cleaning, you can keep a windows good and running for years.
also, vista and 7 recover themselves when new changes prevent the start-up. ;)

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Those rercovery disks might not work as well. I would save as many pic.doc files as ypou can and just put in your xp disk and tell it to do a fresh install. All you problems will be fixed. Get some malware /virues software,

Last edited:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
if it's a laptop, try not to close the lid before the computer is in sleep mode. (or shut down/hibernate, depending on which you use)
if it's a desktop, you got a type of problem with it for sure, but I can't think what goes wrong..

GR8FUL1

actually, with a little experience, good settings and time to time cleaning, you can keep a windows good and running for years.
also, vista and 7 recover themselves when new changes prevent the start-up. ;)

I have a windows computer running xp for 8 years now without any problems.It just takes a little work to keep it cleaned on a daily basis.Always install updates,there is a reason microsoft distrubutes them.

Latest posts

Latest posts