What's new

My Coco Quest: Coco Hempy 4x4

Lethal

Hi dansbuds, thanks for such a quick reply I see what do you mean by that. I actually read all the major sticky threads in coco coir section (huh that was huge amount of reading) so I would like to avoid such scenario. Hmm I will have a look more around the hempy thread to see the possibilities but I guess you are right especially with your experience. Thanks again!

ps: at least once I can be glad that I am leaving things for the last moment (I didn't buy coco and ferts for coco yet)

Lethal

Lethal

One thing for justiceman, for how much did you bought these glasses? I love the color balance and for probably they provide more protection from HPS lights than the ones I use personaly (hiking/climbing kind)

justiceman

Veteran
Looks good guy!
Right on man! Soon I'll have better things to show:peacock:
Hi again, looks good I did little bit of research for the hempy style and it get my really excited. I guess with that you can allow yourself to skip a day of watering right? Not that I wouldn't like to pay attention to my grow but living together with gf and sharing quite time demanding work asks for really good weekends which usually leads to leaving city every other week. I was wondering that the hempy style would fit me more than pure handwatering coco. What are your thoughts on it if I may ask. By the way looking forward for next update I am really curious how it will turn up in flowering!
Hrrrrmmmm yes and no. The coco hempy does allow for a little bit more leeway in terms of watering frequency compared to straight coco but for the reason's dansbuds stated it isn't quite as safe as the original hempy for lengthy periods away from the garden. How long you can go without watering is really going to depend on your environment and the needs of the strain you will grow.

I've been recently brainstorming about setting up a simple drip system for my next cycle that way I can go out of town for a few days without worry, much like what you want to do. I feel that is probably the safest approach of all for time away from the garden.

the original verm/perilite mix would would be better in your case . if coco drys out for any reason the cation balance can be thrown off & cause more problems than just wilting from being dry .

Hi dansbuds, thanks for such a quick reply I see what do you mean by that. I actually read all the major sticky threads in coco coir section (huh that was huge amount of reading) so I would like to avoid such scenario. Hmm I will have a look more around the hempy thread to see the possibilities but I guess you are right especially with your experience. Thanks again!

ps: at least once I can be glad that I am leaving things for the last moment (I didn't buy coco and ferts for coco yet)

Lethal
Danbuds up in the house dropping necessary knowledge as usual! Good stuff:tiphat:. I read those threads too. They are lengthy but well worth it.

One thing for justiceman, for how much did you bought these glasses? I love the color balance and for probably they provide more protection from HPS lights than the ones I use personaly (hiking/climbing kind)
Thanks for stopping by again! Happy to see some traffic on this journal. I have the Method Seven Cultivators. I got them off Amazon for $59. They work really well and save my eyes from being strained. The build quality of the Taiwan frame is errrrrr probably not worth the money, but the plastic lenses just kick ass. They also have a premium version with glass lenses and Italian frames that's about $160 or something like that if you want to be a cool guy. I will say I have seen cheaper knock off versions on amazon, but I don't know how well they work. Probably just as good or almost as good.

gr866

Veteran
Got here a little late, but you mind if I pull up a chair, open a beer and roll a fat one, just tag along.
I have gone to reduced rates in coco now. Using Canna nutes, gave up on the GH and 6/9, as I felt it was too much nutes and I felt like I was fighting pH a lot.
To preface this I had been running RO water (48 ppm or rain water 4 ppm). When I started using Canna I contacted them and told them my water situation, my tap is 850 ppm, they suggested adding some tap water to bring my ppms of either RO or Rain water to 120 ppm and use that as a starting point, ~ 0.23 EC.
At the end of veg I was running 1.0 EC. I am just starting 12/12 and my base A&B are at 400 ppm (0.8 EC), to that I add Cal/Magic, just to the the right amt of Cal in the mix. You need about 150 ppm of Cal per gallon, and at 400 ppm of A&B you only getting around 88 ppm of Cal. So I add 6.5 ml Cal/Magic which is about 75 ppm for a total of 163 ppm Cal, should have used 6 ml and that would be the right number, but a little bit more Cal is not a bad thing.
From that point I add, Cannazym, Boost, Liquid Koolbloom and Drip Clean, and my final numbers for today are 1.27 total nute and supplements. I will only be using the KoolBloom for another two weeks, after that my EC should be around 1.13.
At these numbers I have seen just a little tip burn on the WW, very indica and not tolerant of higher EC, running pH of 5.8 to 5.9.
Been a heck of a grow so far, seed order was lost first time, so I ended up starting these, had 4 WW and two SCH of which I got one of each to germ. Was not taking good care of them as I really wanted to use the new seeds I ordered and do another 5 plant vert grow but even my reorder took four more weeks to get her. Here is a pic of the two of them, got them bitches bound and tied down flat.
They are in 3 gallon smart pots. WW left, Super Citrus Haze Right.

GR

Last edited:

justiceman

Veteran
Got here a little late, but you mind if I pull up a chair, open a beer and roll a fat one, just tag along.
I have gone to reduced rates in coco now. Using Canna nutes, gave up on the 6/9, as I felt it was too much nutes.
I am just starting 12/12 and my base A&B are at 400 ppm (0.8 EC), to that I add Cal/Magic, just to the the right amt of Cal in the mix.

Don't mind at all! The more the merrier. Seems like we are on the same page. I'm thinking that multiple feeds at reduced feed strength is the way to go in coco. I'm almost a week into 12/12 with Veg+Bloom at the exact same strength as you but I don't use any calmag.

6/9 works well but I have to start at half or quarter strength first. It doesn't have to always be 6ml and 9ml. It's just the ratio that's important in my experience so far, but I agree that starting off at 6/9 is definitely too much at first. The reason I went to veg+bloom RO/Soft formula is all I have to do is weigh the powder and throw it in water. Sometimes I add +life when I feel like it lol. I plan to use SHINE(pk booster) around week 3 or so. It's even easier than 6/9 for me and it's been pretty damn pH stable in my experience so far. I pH it to 5.8 and it drifts up to 6.1 and stays there for a good amount of time but I usually let it only go up to 6.0. They seem to like it. That being said Canna nutrients kick ass from what I've seen!

EDIT: Nice jotted a bit more information down for me to read!

Wow your tap water is crazy high. They pointed you in the right direction cutting it with R/O water. Ah makes sense to kick the 6/9 if you were getting bad pH drift. The starting water just probably was not a good match for it. hahaha hell ya those girls are being trained to your will!

Last edited:

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That being said Canna nutrients kick ass from what I've seen!

if you can get passed all the pricey bottles ! :noway:

justiceman

Veteran
That being said Canna nutrients kick ass from what I've seen!

if you can get passed all the pricey bottles ! :noway:
That's why I've never used them :biggrin:. Actually I think I had a small bottle of cannazyme in the past because I thought I needed an enzyme product but after I used it up I never thought of it again.

justiceman

Veteran
Alright I'm only 5 days into flower so I decided to do some lower canopy clean up and things are looking good. I took a few random pictures I thought I'd share.

First up are the roots from the Deadhead OG in a coco hempy Haha.
picture.php

Here's a Chocolate Hashberry I pulled out for a photo shoot.
picture.php

Here are some leaf shots
picture.php

picture.php

This leaf survived being partially sucked into a shopvac some time ago. What a trooper!
picture.php

justiceman

Veteran
*Week 1 Flower*
Alright! We are 7 days into 12/12 and things are running smoothly. I've been tucking branches and cleaning up the undergrowth in the past week. The canopy is starting to shape up well but I need to continue to tuck more branches during the stretch. Still been running slightly over .8EC(420ppm) of veg+bloom 2x a day and an addition of + life maybe once a week. I'll probably start adding my PK booster around week 3.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

justiceman

Veteran
*CLONE UPDATE*

I just transplanted 3 DeadHead OG's and a Pure Afghan into coco solos. I ditched the Deep Purple's because I still have their seedling counterparts and they root slow as hell.

Root shots!

This is from the top I cut from the Pure Afghan.
picture.php

Here is the DeadHead OG top.
picture.php

She's pretty
picture.php

Here is one of 2 small side cuts from the DH as well. They rooted well so why not pot em.
picture.php

Here are the Deep Purples lol. What Pitiful rooting!
picture.php

justiceman

Veteran
*NURSERY UPDATE*
The Deep Purple seedlings are finally showing deficiency :). That leads me to believe the .5EC(250ppm) feeding has allowed them to use up the extra nutrient in the coco that was necessary for HID but not the HO t5's they are under now. I'll bump the feed up to .6EC(300ppm) and I'll see where they stand. This is proving to be a good test!
picture.php

Here are the recently transplanted clones! Pure Afghan top left. The rest are Dead Head OG's
picture.php

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you could probably go even higher of a dose like .8 . i think they'd be better off .

GoneP

Alright I'm only 5 days into flower so I decided to do some lower canopy clean up and things are looking good. I took a few random pictures I thought I'd share.

First up are the roots from the Deadhead OG in a coco hempy Haha.
View Image

Here's a Chocolate Hashberry I pulled out for a photo shoot.
View Image

Here are some leaf shots
View Image

View Image

This leaf survived being partially sucked into a shopvac some time ago. What a trooper!
View Image

nice roots! i've always loved the beauty of cannabis leaves....such symmetry!

justiceman

Veteran
you could probably go even higher of a dose like .8 . i think they'd be better off .
I suppose an increase of more than 50ppm is necessary. I'm just trying to see what the bare minimum would be for this lighting but I agree at .8EC they seem to be the happiest during veg for me no doubt about it. :dance013:

nice roots! i've always loved the beauty of cannabis leaves....such symmetry!
Much appreciated! I can't wait to see some flowers. Things are looking promising so far.

Last edited:

justiceman

Veteran
Got some quick pics just a moment before the light turned on. Looking nice and healthy. Just gave em almost 1.0EC(480ppm) to try and push them a bit more.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Might have to do a little more undergrowth clean up but so far it is smooth sailing.
picture.php

Last edited:

justiceman

Veteran
ALRIGHT!

Week 2 Flower Update

EC is steady at 1.1(550ppm) 2x a day. I'm gonna slowly ramp it up a little more but not too much. Gonna start adding Shine(PK booster) pretty soon probably next week. Things are running smoothly and the flowers are starting to stack. I can't wait for the terps to come in!

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

justiceman

Veteran
you've come a long way since the last time i popped in.

looking good

Much appreciated! :biggrin: So far things are running pretty smooooth.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Just watering the girls right now. They have these hilarious root explosions periodically. They will come outside of the fabric, die off, and explode again. This one is cool.
picture.php

Will the pots last?!:laughing:
picture.php

Here's one of the clones roots trying to escape as well. What an unruly bunch.
picture.php

Bobbo4200

Veteran
Damn Justiceman!, you're doing them ladies some proper justice! Great roots guy! What is your feeding schedule like? How often and how much?
Thanks.

justiceman

Veteran
Damn Justiceman!, you're doing them ladies some proper justice! Great roots guy! What is your feeding schedule like? How often and how much?
Thanks.
I Hope to do them even more justice in the next few weeks here! Right on for stopping in again buddy.

I am using veg+bloom RO/Soft water formula(1 Part powder) and +Life(microbes) in 100% coco pH 5.8 right now. Gonna add Shine(PK booster) at week 3 of flower. I use +Life about once a week. I hand water and always feed. Never plain water.

Early Veg they were fed 1x a day. Later Veg and Flower 2x a day.

Seems Like they preferred .8EC(400ppm) during veg. I think this was about 3g per gallon.

Now they are at 1.1EC(550ppm) 2 weeks into flower which is about 4g per gallon.

Latest posts

Latest posts