What's new

My Chipmunks

Edgey

I've been keeping chipmunks for nearly 2 years .

I bought a dilute ( white ) chipmunk male called Clyde then 12 months ago added 2 agouti ( brown ) girls called Bonnie and Jessie , up until last November the 3 were living in harmony together but as winter set in Jessie started getting dominant not letting Clyde near the food and attacking him whenever he went near it .
I separated them until spring then slowly introduced them back into the same cage and all was well again .
Bonnie is a nosey little girl , Clyde is very laid back and Jessie thinks she's queen of the castle :)

Anyway ..... Beginning of this week I had to separate them again as Jessie was being a bitch with him and now I know why !
Came home from work tonight to hear a little squeak coming from her nesting box and managed to get a pic of a newly born baby .
I don't know how many she's had yet but I'm a happy granddad tonight

Left to right is Clyde , Jessie , Bonnie

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Very interesting. Did you befriend them from wild or get as a pet?

Made friends with a squirrel once but after a particularly odd disagreement we decided it was better to part ways.

Edgey

They were bought as pets .
The male is very friendly , I've got dogs too so there not allowed out very often but he'll come and sit on your shoulder and chill . The girls were from an outdoor aviary and I've never been able to tame them fully . They'll come and take food from your hand and aren't scared of you but go a bit loopy if I go in there cage .

I built them a 9' x 3' x 3' indoor cage with branches and every toy they could possibly want . It's become a feature rather than a cage :)
Clyde is now back in his original smaller cage but I think I'm going to have to build another big one as I don't want any interbreeding going on so will have to keep males and females seperate .
Chances are Bonnie the other girl is pregnant too as they usually come into season 7-10 days apart . If she is I'll have to think about something large scale as I'm too soft to keep them outdoors and I don't want to sell them to just anyone who thinks its a money making scheme .
They're part of the family after all and the dogs will sit and watch them running about for hours on end

Betterhaff

Veteran
With my cat it’s a combination of Tom & Jerry and Chip ‘n Dale in regards to chipmunks. Total Looney Tunes with a heavy touch of Hanna Barbera. The munks usually win but not with the hawks.

A relative of mine had a pet squirrel…well sort of. It was wild but came in the house for food and sleep, went back outside during the day.

Edgey

Managed to get a quick pic of the babies today and there's 3 , moving about and squeaking

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 20