What's new

my cali-o quest

igrowone

Veteran
thanks again for all the interest, so i'm going to call out what i saw on my trich exam
i'll try to get some trich pics at cut, but they're a chore for me, so just the 1 set
here's what i see, a lot of cloudy trichomes, some clear, but many more cloudy
that was a little disconcerting, more ripe than i thought, i could have cut but wavered
i may also be seeing some trichomes that are red/purple, less that 5%, so still a hold cut(?) sign, maybe
still fairly green foliage and quite a few white hairs, it doesn't look completely ripe, but close, very close
looking like about 4 days, or sooner

I've had Vic's Orange Crush in my stable for many years. The ladies love it. I recently grew out some testers of Orange Crush crossed with Vic's Chemo/Grapefruit. What a treat!
My first seed order ever was a few packs of BCGA beans... I've never looked back. Orange Crush and Space Queen are my 2 favorite strains, though I have a couple Sour Bubble fems going into flower this week.

igrowone

Veteran
Hey, hows she doing? chopped her yet?

on the verge, tomorrow final pics and tally
the upper cola is like a baseball, mold is always a fear, but none visible
and thanks for the 'orange genetics' report frameofmind, i will do my own humble report

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looking forward to your harv pics and write up man. The Cali-O is a great old school strain, hope you get some of the original traits. I've still got f2's in the fridge, hoping to pop them some day...

igrowone

Veteran
day 90

day 90

thanks for dropping by for the last chapter festivus
the moment has arrived, the payoff for 90 days of cultivation
a recheck of the trichomes didn't show much in amber trics
i thought i had seen a few purplish red ones, but still mostly cloudy
which was a relief, thought maturity was going a little too quick
so here's the final pics of plant, inside grow chamber and out
continued to pump out new pistils, so a very white looking plant
bud shots and weigh out at 9, or there abouts

Attachments

• day90.jpg
    day90.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 10
  • profile.jpg
    profile.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 12

igrowone

Veteran
the weigh out

the weigh out

hmm, not so great, i do get about an oz for a good grow
60g wet, so maybe 16g dry, it was unwatered for the last week, so that should have a little more heft
and not a complete cut, going to reveg, probably 2-3g of popcorn left on
it is what it is, bud was very sweet, orange? maybe if you wanted it to be that way, didn't really smell orange, but was good
crummy pic from my crummy camera, but a ruler for reference, got to have truth in reporting here as best you can

Attachments

• bud.jpg
    bud.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 14

StupidBoy

She looks even better in profile than the over head shots. :yes: I'm liking the colors on those lower buds. Congrats on a great grow! :ying: Hope you enjoy the smoke. :joint:

igrowone

Veteran
thanks for the replies and the interest, this was a labor of intense curiosity, just had to know what cali-o(this version) was like
vaped some of the sugar leaves, which gave me a hint of the finished cured product
i will say, there was some orange in the taste, more orange taste than smell
now for the effect, reminded me of speed, which sounds pretty strange
back in the day(many years ago), i did sample many a controlled substance
some speeds(various amphetamine tablets), would give me a calm but elevated state(for a while)
not that the man made crap was good for me, but the effect was distinct
cali-o reminds me of speed, but in a good way
just a 1st impression, this was definitely worth running, skimpy yield and all

igrowone

Veteran
been in the curing jar for a few days
been patient, only sampled some of the sugar leaf from the trim, which isn't the bud, so smoke report will wait a couple of weeks
but odor i can report on, in the jar it smells like grapefruit
a beautiful and excellent smell of grapefruit, strong and luscious
damn, i've had good odors from most of my grows, they were nice, but this is a few steps beyond those
i guess i should search for any reports for a grapefruit pheno in this batch of nirvana cali-o, don't recall seeing any

I was lucky enough to get the old Cali-O cut from shabang many years ago before he started Overgrow. It was a beautiful, very good yielding plant, and was very orange smelling, with maybe some sandalwood in the background. It had double serrations on it's leaf blades. I initially liked the high, though honestly I developed a tolerance to it, and it just didn't get me that high after a while. It was a real winner in all ways though, and was a crowd pleaser. Always would hermi late flowering , though mostly sterile male flowers. I also grew out shabang's other favorite, Dank Ass Bitch. That one had a much nicer high for me.

igrowone

Veteran
meant to update this thread, but time slipped by
anyhow, it kind of worked out, a long cure on this bud made a big difference
all my cures have improved bud quality, but this was the most dramatic, hard to believe it's the same bud after 8 weeks of cure
not an orange smell flavor, grapefruit instead, a very sweet intense grapefruit, damn fine stuff though not intensely strong
here's the smoke report link for those interested: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=233473

igrowone

Veteran
reveg - day 1 flower

reveg - day 1 flower

so the story here isn't quite over
i've gone and revegged, which i guess is high praise
some reflection on the character of this old nirvana breed
the big claim was sativa feel from a predominantly indica
i know there are more sativa dominant versions, but those are not in my reach
anyhow, i'll give this cali-o its due, it is similar in effect to some sativa's
but sativa like some of the old mexican/columbian smoke of years ago? no
it's closer than the other hybrids i've run, and it is good, but my quest for the old sativa feel from cfl grows continues

the switch has been thrown and flowering has just started, this was my roughest reveg yet
it just wouldn't come back until i did a root pruning and repotting, some of the scars of the bad start are visible

Attachments

• day01.jpg
    day01.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 11

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
sweet reveg igrowone. the last time I did a reveg on my plants I got 2x the amount of bud with the 2ed flowering cycle. just give her some TLC and I think she should turn out nice in the end.

igrowone

Veteran
day 8

day 8

thanks for the rep SpecialEd and thanks CB for the upbeat forecast
the pic will speak for itself, quite a recovery
interesting thing about this plant is it never completely stopped throwing pistils, always a white hair at each junction, and she's going into flower fast

Attachments

• day08.jpg
    day08.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 13

SpecialEd

interesting thing about this plant is it never completely stopped throwing pistils, always a white hair at each junction, and she's going into flower fast

Great re-veg Man! :jump: I've had plants do that as well. As long as she isn't throwing male flowers, don't let it deter you from repeated re-veging or taking cuttings. :pimp3:

igrowone

Veteran
Great re-veg Man! :jump: I've had plants do that as well. As long as she isn't throwing male flowers, don't let it deter you from repeated re-veging or taking cuttings. :pimp3:

thanks for that info, i've done other revegs but none had the persistent pistils
no trace of maleness as of yet

Latest posts

Latest posts