What's new

My 8 year old black lab with lymphoma is medicating herself

Mcgrh

I have an 8 year old lab who we're giving 1 part high thc oil (Flo strain) and 3 parts high CBD oil (R4 strain). The reason we're giving 2 oils is that the THC part has pretty much hit it's max as far as tolerance goes. Any more than 1 big drop every 4 hours and she pisses herself. She seems to have a high tolerance for the CBD component, but is very odd about it.

After we dose her, we've been giving her the R4 oil mixed with olive oil for her to eat as much she wants. She's typically stopped at about 2 teaspoons, but when she starts eating it, it's like it's the best tasting thing in the world. Not sure if you've ever actually tasted cannabis oil, but it's totally foul tasting. Not for Zoey though, she loves it.

I've given her pure Olive oil, hated it. I've tried mixing in regular cannabis oil (the high THC one), hated that one too. Personally, I don't see the difference in taste. They're both pretty horrendous. Just as an additional experiment, none of our other dogs will touch the CBD oil.

For now my wife and I are convinced that she may know how much of the CBD she really needs to beat this cancer.

Just thought I'd ask if anyone else has encountered this.

Infinitesimal

my strength is a number, and my soul lies in every
ICMag Donor
Veteran
awesome news... congrats.

does your vet know that you are treating her with cannabis... and if so what was their reaction?

keep it up... you should be documenting all this, on you tube or something, let other people with sick animals and family members for that matter know.

Mcgrh

Thanks!

Her regular vet is totally on-board with what we're doing. Her cancer vet was very doubtful it would do more than manage the pain, but has now changed his mind. He said the only time he's seen anything like this is when the chemo starts working, and then it doesn't. He realizes this is something totally different.

I am writing a day by day journal of everything we're doing. We were thinking of making videos taking pictures, but the tumors are hard to see against her black fur.

Mcgrh

I'll post updates.

No can do on the pics. Her black fur (even after being shaved) makes it very difficult to make out what's what. Suffice it to say, I have medical records for when I go to the press

Mcgrh

Thanks, Canadian dub. We're in Palisade, Colorado and the R4 we're using is out of Greenwerkz in Glenwood springs, about an hour away.

Greenwerks is outta seeds with no plans on making more..,not that I could get them as US fed laws prevent sale outta state. Shows that they are low or out of r4 supplies... I hope you have some stock... I find this very annoying... Why oh why can't I just buy f,n seeds of a plant that has a proven track record... Why oh why don't they grow for seed? If only people and pets came before profits maybe they could have given the r4 to people to produce and share with sick individuals.. But where oh where would be the profit in that?? Every road seems to hit a brick wall, I am so absolulty sick of this shit.

Mcgrh

I've heard R4, from seed, is very tricky to begin with. Aren't there a few seed banks in Canada? A quick Google gave me this:

https://www.bcbuddepot.com/seed-list/bc-bud-depot/cbd-god/

Real expensive, but might be worth it.

For now the dispensaries around me look like they have a decent stock of CBD buds, so I'm not too worried. It would be nice to have a plant or two for backup though.

Gubar1

My dog loves to eat the leaves of my plants. He hates buds but eats the leaves whenever I'm not looking. Best of luck to you and your pet. Great to see the plant prove skeptics wrong.

Mcgrh

Thanks. I truly believe they know it helps them.

This morning she ate about 6 teaspoons of the R4 + Olive oil mix and left about a teaspoons worth behind. It's obvious she dislikes the taste, but forces herself to eat it. Hard to describe how I know, but she licks her forearms non-stop right after eating it trying to get the stuff off of her tongue.

Mcgrh

Zoey's getting better and better, thanks for asking. We took her to the vet last week (8/4) and 3 of her 6 tumors shrank again. The other 2 stayed roiughly the same size and the last one seemed to have grown slightly, but it was statistically insignificant. Because of that we've very slightly increased her CBD intake and left the THC intake alone. Basically, around 50mg (one drop or 0.05ml) of THC oil and 100mg (four drops or 0.1ml) of CBD oil.

A bit of clarification about the THC side of things... We're using something called Gold Dragon Oil from:

http://herbalmedicalinstitute.com/Medical_Marijuana_Medicine/

They have 3 different types of full plant extract oils. Black Dragon (35% THC), Blue Dragon (55% THC) and what we're giving her now - Gold Dragon (82% THC). We started her off with 1 drop of Black Dragon oil and when she could tolerate 3 drops of that, switched her to one drop of the Gold Dragon oil.

The R4 in it's raw form is 14.5% CBD and 0.6% THC. Supposedly when it's extracted into oil it jumps to 73% CBD and 2% THC. We buy the buds and use our magical butter machine to extract it into a tincture and then use a saucepan to boil off the rest of the alcohol and end up with pure oil.

Magical butter machine? Could you describe the process and magical butter machine in detail and step by step. =) thanks sorry to be a pain.

Bulldog420

Veteran
Mcgrh - Thank you for sharing this with everybody, as we all know getting old sucks even for our pets. I really hope you continue your journal and share it with everybody when all is done. I have many pets and in the future this is a battle I will most likely go through as well. Good luck to your family.

Mcgrh

Here's a link to their website

http://magicalbutter.com/

And YouTube has quite a few clips about it as well. I highly recommend it if you're going to be making oil frequently and want to make it safely. Only downside is that the last step involves around 45 minutes of stirring in a saucepan until the alcohol boils off completely

And, you're not being a pain!

Mcgrh

Bulldog420, you're very welcome. I'm extremely fortunate to live in a state where this kind of remedy is legal. I'd really be at a total loss if this stuff were still illegal.