What's new

my 2012 420 thread

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
one hell of a 420, even if i do say so myself. due to helping out with the organizational aspects this year i got to judge a complete judge pack, that is every category entered. as there was 29 types of bud and 10 types of hash you can imagine how busy i was, lol. the only condition was to share the hashes, which i did after only doing a couple of pipes of each type. there were some amazing hashes entered this year. amongst them the winner by ifrane, which was a dry sift made with mental floss. hortilabs hash kicked some serious rear end too, he got second place with his startbud fmcd. while STRANDvasker made third with his fine entry. the hashes were very close in quality in the top range. i just feel the dry sift won for the amazing taste and high, even if i found Hortilabs starbud fmcd to be more powerful it wasn't quite as interesting in taste and high. still when you are smoking that level of quality it's really hard to pick a winner.

anyway here is the line up of the entries, in no particular order. i will include the lists with the entry names and the sample numbers we gave them so you can look up what was what. will post up the profesional photoshoot of the samples which ED did for you guys soon too. these are to wet your apatite lol.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

the only thing missing on the list is the Serious seed hash entry which was number 50, it was the one in it's own plastic pot. i hope someone did a photo shoot of the hashes too and will post them u here. i was in such a rush i didnt feel like getting the hashes out of the bags for the pics, which is a shame i now realize.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
for the cannabis categories there were 17 mostly indicas and 12 mostly sativas.

in the sativa Category :

1st place Somas Liberty haze
2nd place Prix d'ami's S-5 Haze
3rd place Dr. Pentathols Agent Orange

in the Indica Category :

1st place Sour Power by Hortilabs
2nd place was Mack Blues by Mack 10
3rd place was the star bud by Hortilab

also wanted to say a big thank you to the house of love seed co, they were so kind and actually gave a pack of seeds for every judge pack. they also helped tallying up the score sheets. great work AmishFarmer and Cannagirl.

also want to thank cannabiogen for donating some of their seeds for prizes to the private entrants. maybe next year someone can sponsor some lighters for the judges so everyone isn't always stealing mine rofl....glad i packed a few.

it was really amazing to meet so many really cool people from all over the world. it was as always amazing to be in such a big group of like minded people. but to be able to do it in the relaxed atmosphere of Amsterdam is just some thing special. for a few days you don't have to hide your favorite hobby from every one you meet. i'm really glad the Dutch government has collapsed, seems the weed pass will now not be introduced in Amsterdam after all on the 1st of may 2013. with any luck we can have another awesome get together next year.

for me the amazing thing about it was to see what can be done when people come together and pool resources and connections. Moppel and MrHaze really did us proud. we had some crazy sessions going and some serious stash being shared on top of the judge packs.

titoon had some amazing sativa with him of which he carried around some huge colas, which he dumped on the table where ever we happened to be. it was Jamaican something with Nigerian or some such, dont ask me, but was one nice hazy smoke.

KarmaGenetics was busy as always getting everyone near by high, including the serving staff who complained of getting a contact high from just clearing out the empty cups from our private room LOL. it was the dabbers i tell ya. smoked a nice bud of Karma's shoreline, which was a very tasty smoke, not sure what else he was passing around, but i seem to remember a bud of white og some where in the haze of the first day. what i will not forget is the oil hit, that began that session for me, hehe totally messed me up to the point of not functioning properly for a good 15 mins or so, haha. then i was just high as hell.

mack 10 was sharing his stash, truecannabliss, ojd and crew were sharing their fine personal. got smoked out by them on the first night hehe. the Chemy Jones was a real good smoke, i was just a bit stressed out when trying true's and ojd's stash, now i'm realizing i don't remember it too well. we were in the middle of unpacking the entries at the time... but i do remember noticing how clean it all smoked, which it always has done from those guys. anyway getting late now, will add more tomorrow. got to mention the German crew, cannanatics SourDiesel kicked some major ass imo, more about that tomorrow, also about the hash that tasted like Amnesia haze bud by Fregel was most memorable....

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
more entries...

more entries...

hey does anyone know what Sativa the Serious Seeds seed co entered? i know it was no. 13, but what was the strain name?

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

really sorry about the blurry 16, has anyone got a better copy?

picture.php

Last edited:

vStagger Leev

Cannaseur
Veteran
Thanks for smokin all that great weed bro! :joint: reaches for jar of the #14 Casey's QUeen... that's some of my favorite smoke right now, hope you enjoyed! Much love bro, SL :tree:

gertnaerd

hey gaius!
very nice review ,you did there! thx a lot for this short theorethical ride with you guys...it must have been some heavy smokesession and some chilly times:thank you:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
the Caesys Queen was superb, in many competitions it might have won. the ic mag judges seem to put the most weight on the clean burning taste, which most of them had.

Cannanatics had his newzealander and some sour diesel with him. not sure which cut it was but the sour diesel rocked my world. it seems to be a low yielding one, lol aren't they always, the special ones? for some reason i didnt find this years batch of newzealander as nice as i found it last year. still a real good smoke, there was a bunch of gGerman speakers there and all of them were hard core canna lovers. fregel shared some of his incredible Amnesia haze bubble with me, never have i smoked hash that tasted so much like the amnesia haze and still it was full melt with domes popping the whole time it got heated. we exchanged bubble making methods after that, as he seemed to like my 73 sd x cj too. in fact i don't think anyone disliked that hehe.

what a group it was and in the end nearly everyone met everyone else. would have like to talk more with some people but there just wasn't enough time.

had to laugh every time i saw Silly Cone lugging his big 1 wheeled bike around the place. Amsterdam is not the town for anything other then the cheapest pile of crap bike you can find. any bike of value has to be kept on your person it seems, lol.

on the second day finally my good friend Dr Pentathol arrived also, poor man, first we though his personal had gone missing, lol. was supposed to be at my place waiting for him but when he wanted it it was not where it was supposed to be. after telling him it must be some where else i finally did find it laying in a corner of the living room, ha what a relief. he had some amazing stuff in there. he handed me a couple of nice nugs, one was the agent orange if i'm not mistaken. he also brought me some nice looking agent orange crosses and a pot of home made honey, what a generous soul. that honey has really helped me get rid of my horse throat, so thanks again for that.

one thing i would ask next time is to skip organizing a dj, i think most of us wanted to sit around and talk without the blaring sounds in the background. some laid back sounds not too loud would have made having a conversation much easier. still the place was very comfy with sofa seats for everyone and quite prompt service considering how busy they were. i specially like the efficiency of the staff. more light for the bud viewing would have been good too, when you are giving up to 10 out of 40 points for the visual aspect, you need proper lighting and ideally magnification. still even as it was, it was tremendous fun. very nice way to spend time and great research to help you think of things you want to grow out next.

for me this years event was like i always dreamed a cannabis cup could be, totally objective and open, all done out of dedication and for the fun of seeing who has found the best genetics and grown them out in the best way. not caring for any politics or anything just for the best samples, judged in total anonymity. wow i'm rambling, seems my new cross of afghan diesel with male Sour Amnesia is going back in the SD direction taste wise. enjoying an early dry sample off one pheno.....nicely nicely. :kos:

SillyCone

Glad you were amused by my giant unicycle... For sure it's the last time I take it to Amsterdam... :)

Not because it made you laugh of course, but because with so many tourists, I got stopped all the time by people wanting to talk about it, or try it (and kill themselves at the same time), or run over me with their fast bikes :)

I'm with you on the DJ, especially when you plain hate the kind of music he couldn't stop playing.

Man, I miss Amsterdam !
Those were really 3 AMAZING days.
In 20 years of coffee shopping in the Dam, I never had such a great time.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
pics are crap, buds looked much better live :) but it does show you how many samples there were hehe...

was great meeting you LIAON. i'll try remember your not Irie Lion next time.....

Eugen

Mentor
Veteran
hey guys, gaius,
just wanted to drop my 2 cents:

* music & enternainment, like screens:
i loved the music while we were at nol's in haarlem! :dance013:
i think it was not a live dj but just playing from a playlist, a very good reggae&dub playlist. this was definitely the best music set of the 3 days in amstedam, many (reggae&dub heads, haha :laughing:) agreed with me on that one.
the music in the place with the big room and the dj: at the beginning it was far too loud, later it still could have been turned down a little bit.
but i was super glad that someone took care of the TV system. at the beginning the screens where showing some bullshit (+commercials and crap) and i was starting to get mad. :biggrin:

i don't wanna talk things down here. best time i had at a canna event, yet. :ying:

easy now :wave:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
no worries about constructive criticism Eugene. personally i agree some laid back dub playing quietly would have been easier on the voice and ears lol. but i didnt want to make a fuss as that DJ was being offered by the owner.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
the 4.20.12 party was really cool, smoked some incredibly good bud. was really hard to decide which SD i liked better, jah hoovers cut, or cannanatics one. both ad that classic SD reek. considering Jah Hoover was only around for about 36 hours, he managed to smoke up an incredible mount of people rofl....don't ask me how much bud the Lady Sativa crew had with them hehe (i wont tell) but more amazing was really the high quality level. big kudos for sharing of your best Jah Hoover, what a generous heart. i really enjoyed chatting with you lot and look forward to the next time. (maybe Spain?)

wish i'd taken some notes at the end of each day, i'm sure i'm forgetting more stash, some German crew stash was also around, as usual some of the stash was just as good and better then the best entries....anyway it was really sweet meeting so many people, makes one feel less alone as a grower in the world. really look forward to seeing everyone again. maybe then i can remember more then half the new people i met lol.

anyway on the 19th as planned we all, (about 30 of us) slowly trickled into the meeting spot for heading to Haarlem. Browser considering the stoner mentality said lets meet at 5pm hopping we'd all be there and ready to go by 6pm. this kinda worked out, only Dr. D managed to miss the train.

anyway once we arrived at the Haarlem station we managed to go out the back instead of the front, so there we were all standing around in a mild daze, trying to find landmarks from previous visits and finding none lol. through the process of democracy we all decided we were at the wrong side of the station and off we went back under the tracks and finally arriving at the remembered parts of the Haarlem train station. we did some waiting to give Dr D and growdoc a chance to catch up. at this point we realized we were invited to the indica shop, so a good 15 minute walk turned into 30 mins with some scenic walking but finally we did arrive and found the place to be already quite busy and our party just packed it out for the first few moments. but once we all started squeezing in where we could some proper sessions got started.

Nol received us with bags of icolater hash and some amazing looking oil hash mixture of some kind. it was nearly white in color. made one hell of a joint with some of that. the iceolater was amazing too, i only took a few small puffs as i was trying to get into my judging. having been helping to distribute the packs to the judges, i didnt get to start my own judging till late. anyway Nol ordered a bunch of pizza to keep everyone's strength up while they went about making a dent in his iceolator and the judge packs, hehe. it was really nice of him to make time for us, considering everything going on, court case against the weed pass, demo planned for the 20th at 4:20, then he had a special canna Olympics planned for the 21st of April. was encouraging to hear him talk about defeating the weed pass, i really hope common sense prevails in the end. anyway a big thank you Nol is in order. i only wish you'd have had time to judge some of the samples that were entered in our members cup. maybe next time eh?

after that great trip once back in Amsterdam many of us split into groups to go eat what everyone was interested in or head back to peoples digs for some relaxing and judging. i joined truecannablis, ojd, thc4SIM, davesm8, SillyCone and 1 or 2 others i don't recall right now, for dinner at an Indonesian place in the red light. not sure what the place was but something like that, they did some real hot spicy dishes as well as the more traditional sweet and sour chicken lol.

by the time we were done, i was getting tired and ready for some apartment time, specially as i still needed to do some serious judging i thought my place the best option to make a dent in the judging. so i get to my place unlock the street door and am met with the typical narrow steep Dutch stair in the old houses, but instead of having the light come on when i flicked the switch everything remains pitch black. oh well i think, just a light bulb. i get my lighter out and flick it here and there making my way up the narrow steps to the second locked door on the way to my flat right at the top. found the right key in the dark, struggled to get the key in the hole and finally got to the next light switch, lo and behold the fucking thing was just as useless as the one bellow. now i was starting to have a vague premonition of things to come.:) i quickly made my way up further to the last door which leads to the actual flat. after going through the same bull shit with the lighter and burning my fingers to boot, i get inside only to confirm my sneaking feeling from the before, there was no fucking light or power in the whole darn place. imagine the middle of the civilized west, so called and you have a power black out. well that just isn't possible right? this had to be a fuse? i make my way through all the places where i imagine there might be a fuse box, but of course no such luck. most doors outside my flat are locked and the ones that are not, are not fuse closets, but cleaning utensil cupboards hehe. ok no choice, got to call the host. call his number with my temp dutch phone card, of course its about midnight by now and no answer. ok switch back to my original sim card and phone again, this time i get a sleepy questioning halo at the end, hehe. i explain the situation telling him that i was in the dark no tv, no coffee machine, nothing and it was bs. ok he says, i'll send my emergency technician over. hm thinks i, not bad. but when he finally comes about 30mins later he only tells me there is nothing he can do and that it was the city's fault, roflmao. by morning it will be fixed apparently. alas that helps me not one little bit to do my judging. who'd have thought a flash light is needed on a trip to Amsterdam. so with 1 candle i finally got from the guy, rasras, his mate and i were able to roll some good night joints and head to sleep lol. that was the one and only night i was laying in bed by 1am while over there hehe. anyway probably wasn't the end of the world, i'm sure i needed the sleep and the next day at 7am i notice all the lights on again. still not sure what the hell happened, but i know rasras managed to get the place for another 2 nights at a reduced rate after that, so things kinda worked out. would certainly like to use that flat again was real comfy and so central and not one word about all the smoking, in fact there was hardly a soul around during our whole stay there. very nice to have real independence, without silly rules about no guests etc.

Last edited:
H

Hoover_lungz

G it was a pleasure hanging with you and toking out:)

Big Respect from the L.SG crew:)

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Oh man that blackout story was too funny! Thanks for the write up Gaius, I love reading them. Fingers crossed for a part 2 :D

Latest posts

Latest posts