What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mushroom Compost

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Hey everyone,

Though in the past I've used goat manure and rabbit manure as part of my soil mix, they're super expensive. I've been looking into much cheaper types of manure/compost as a consequence.

As one of the cheaper options, I've been thinking a lot about mushroom compost. Is there anything that makes it stand out as particularly good or particularly bad?

DrBnz

Oh I can't wait to hear this response. I live in Lancaster Pa region and the mushroom farms are everywhere. So I can tell you one thing, the byproducts of mushrooms gives off a scent that's a cross between vomit and poop...... I am interested in the value of it though as I believe I can obtain it in abundance. But if it bears any value, how come they're throwing it out? I assume they know what they're doing and aren't throwing out good soil..... are they????

Mushroom compost is good. Lots of N and fungi. It doesn't smell bad when it's finished composting. In my area they throw all the spent mushroom substrate in a big pile and you can just come pick it up. But it gets rained on and goes anaerobic so you just have to let it sit for a while.

Malato

I don't personally use it but my neighbor sets up urban backyard farms for a living and mushroom compost is the base of his mix. His veggies all are huge and super healthy looking so it must be doing something good.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use the bagged mushroom compost, mixing with outdoor soil and amend my veggie beds. Inexpensive and a good additive.

Having it stink....maybe from a direct source, but bagged at Lowes/HD, it's mixed, so nope, I haven't come across that. Recall using alpaca poop. Owners said it didn't stink either. Had to have it down wind. ;o)

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Thanks, guys. I'm definitely going to be getting some. I am really in need of an inexpensive, bulk amendment this time around.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I used it but fresh it is often loaded with toxins. Some farms use herbicides to kill off spores and some steam it. Regardless I let it sit for 2 months to one year before using it.

Ask the farmer how it is treated.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
I used it but fresh it is often loaded with toxins. Some farms use herbicides to kill off spores and some steam it. Regardless I let it sit for 2 months to one year before using it.

Ask the farmer how it is treated.

The only source I have access to is the stuff that comes bagged up at big at stores. I would think that stuff has already been sitting for some time, though, no?

PDX Dopesmoker

Oh I can't wait to hear this response. I live in Lancaster Pa region and the mushroom farms are everywhere. So I can tell you one thing, the byproducts of mushrooms gives off a scent that's a cross between vomit and poop...... I am interested in the value of it though as I believe I can obtain it in abundance. But if it bears any value, how come they're throwing it out? I assume they know what they're doing and aren't throwing out good soil..... are they????

If you put that mushroom dirt from Lancaster PA on your lawn you'll have to mow every other day from April to October.

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Mushroom and Goat\Rabbit would be great.... good bacteria and fungal balance.... no point in using 1 main.. Always better to use several in lower quantities..... Depletes 1 source more balanced as a whole too...

I would definitely just go find someone who has rabbits and not pay for it.... You could even be rewarded on the side for taking it off someones hands for them. Friendship is always the richest currency.

I'm about to start wormfarmin.....composting... and looking for someone with rabbits\goats myself.....best of luck mang

The farm amd garden section on Craigslist is a great place to source manure. Even of its not specifically offered. If someone has goats or pigs for sale then you know they have a big pile of shit laying around too.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
The farm amd garden section on Craigslist is a great place to source manure. Even of its not specifically offered. If someone has goats or pigs for sale then you know they have a big pile of shit laying around too.

That's a fucking great idea! I'll just offer to come and shovel it up for them and haul it away!

Handlebar

Mushroom compost works great make sure it has sat for a season or two if its fresh. Not sure about bagged compost but i am sure it would be fine.

We ran test auto fems in a few boxes strictly with compost that had been used for veggies the season prior. Flowers were big sticky smelly only watered when needed. Beautiful test run.

h.h.

Veteran
I get my manure from a guy who hauls it away for folks.
He advertised on Craigslist. I contacted him and asked if he needed a place to dump.
I now get maybe about 6 or 8 truckloads a year of horse and llama manure. Stopped counting.

Found a guy with rabbits.
Actually he was selling wood chips and had rabbits as well.

I get contractor size garbage bags full of rabbit bedding for $1.50.
He also collects leaves from the neighbors. I probably got 80 bags of leaves last year.
Craigslist did me good.

h.h.

Veteran
Be careful when you do that. If animals were fed high antibiotics/hormones../...that's not 'organic poop'....it's toxic manure.

I take this into consideration
I admittedly go for quantity over quality.
What I get comes from hobby farms.
They have no interest in stuffing their animals with antibiotics and all. If anything a little dewormer medication, but not really except maybe pigs.
Possibly residue herbicide.

Let it compost.
Plant some beans. See how they grow.
Hard to say if its organic at that point, even if it is acceptable.
I don't believe its toxic.
Processing it is my way of offsetting somewhat my damage to the environment. In a way, I'm buying carbon credits.
And I get free fertilizer.

djav59

Anyway I will quote Jorge (I have seen mushroom compost produce heaviest yields )

I'm trying some chap Lowe's stuff so far I agree with Ari it needs sand, 30% pert and screened. The stuff from Lowes seems to be just a compost and never visited PA or an actual mushroom cave, but I go by smell if it smells good use it if it dont forget it .
I will do some remixes and test later .

Im trying to do something to offset the 20$ bags of good soil.

djav59

Ok I say stay away from the Lowes stuff I tested it and its low in N Very lo P and High K plus its very silty maybe ok to mix for outdoors but no go for in

Latest posts

Latest posts