What's new

Multiple harvests in a season?

KPT

Hey y'all

So I'm getting ready for the next growing season and was looking into the possibilities of planting and harvesting two rounds of autoflower plants, outdoors. From my limited experience I noticed it takes about 15-ish weeks for a plant to finish outdoors, and to me it seems like this would make it very difficult to get 2 good harvests in my (colder) climate. Now I'm wondering if anyone else out there (specifically in the northern climates) has done this, and if so whether or not it was a success, if it was worth the time and effort and what things to look at/account for.

Thanks in advance and much love

goingrey

A couple days ago I read about iguanas falling out of trees in Florida because the temperature got below 10c/50f.

I think those lizards and our plants must be related because when it gets that cold they do nothing.

KPT

Outside of a greenhouse, there's no way.

Double your area instead.

only reason I'm considering this is cuz I can have 3 max at a time, otherwise I woulda gotten more at the same time and been done with it, I do got a greenhouse though and also the possibility to start em indoors under some lamps, I was thinking to start round 1 in mid march till June, and second one from june to september, but idk if that's doable and worth the hassle. could also plant once but during better weather so it would yield more ig? lmk what u think and thanks for help in advance

VenerableHippie

Well, depends what Latitude your place is at. I 'm in the wonderful land of Oz and up the top of this sunburnt land there are four different times of the year to plant. Where I am (sorry can't remember the latitude because I probably have more grey hair than user "goinggrey" ... but get out a map of Oz and look at 'Rockhampton' ) I could easily get a photoperiod and an auto in before winter sun got too short. I have planted in august and had a photoperiod crop ready by christmas altho it was a small crop. Fresh dope for crissy is good tho! Then the plant grows on and flowers again. Sativa I mean.

So find out yr latitude and give it a go.

After all, the learning is in the doing!

goingrey

Some autos don't do well in the wet. If you're banking on a September harvest the weather forecast will be your top entertainment at the time.

But if you can go out in March you can do two crops.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Back to back, no. In fact, I have put out auto's along with photo's, and it wasn't worth going out a few weeks earlier to fetch them. Flowering time is upon us quickly here at about 52 degrees. Not many weeks after it's warm enough to put anything out. The auto did get ahead each time, but the gene expression wasn't desirable.

Semi auto plants put out at the same time will not give up on growing so soon, and thus become the bastard child of low rider. Instead, they will get more stretch done, and not express so strongly as undesirable fodder. There is nothing nice about that auto side of a plants genetics, which become dominant in poor climates, in my trials. However the semi's are no so influenced. Giving a crop a few weeks earlier. Thus your outdoors can come down in two major waves, with enough time between them to process it.

KPT

Well, depends what Latitude your place is at. I 'm in the wonderful land of Oz and up the top of this sunburnt land there are four different times of the year to plant. Where I am (sorry can't remember the latitude because I probably have more grey hair than user "goinggrey" ... but get out a map of Oz and look at 'Rockhampton' ) I could easily get a photoperiod and an auto in before winter sun got too short. I have planted in august and had a photoperiod crop ready by christmas altho it was a small crop. Fresh dope for crissy is good tho! Then the plant grows on and flowers again. Sativa I mean.

So find out yr latitude and give it a go.

After all, the learning is in the doing!

seeing as I'm in the northern hemisphere this does not apply to me, sadly. I think I could potentially squeeze in 2 harvests but it seems to me that IF it went according to plan I would have 2 smaller yields, whereas instead I could just do a no hassle 1 harvest during better weather which in turn would have a bigger yield, no? what do you think about it would love sum feedback

KPT

Some autos don't do well in the wet. If you're banking on a September harvest the weather forecast will be your top entertainment at the time.

But if you can go out in March you can do two crops.

yeh I could forsure start em in march but idk if that would even be worth it, and like you said I don't necessarily want to be hoping for good weather the second time around

KPT

Back to back, no. In fact, I have put out auto's along with photo's, and it wasn't worth going out a few weeks earlier to fetch them. Flowering time is upon us quickly here at about 52 degrees. Not many weeks after it's warm enough to put anything out. The auto did get ahead each time, but the gene expression wasn't desirable.

Semi auto plants put out at the same time will not give up on growing so soon, and thus become the bastard child of low rider. Instead, they will get more stretch done, and not express so strongly as undesirable fodder. There is nothing nice about that auto side of a plants genetics, which become dominant in poor climates, in my trials. However the semi's are no so influenced. Giving a crop a few weeks earlier. Thus your outdoors can come down in two major waves, with enough time between them to process it.

so you're saying it's not worth it to go for 2 rounds? are you also in the northern hemisphere if i may ask? and what do you mean by 'semi' auto?

VenerableHippie

seeing as I'm in the northern hemisphere this does not apply to me, sadly. I think I could potentially squeeze in 2 harvests but it seems to me that IF it went according to plan I would have 2 smaller yields, whereas instead I could just do a no hassle 1 harvest during better weather which in turn would have a bigger yield, no? what do you think about it would love sum feedback

Well, um, well ... seems to me the northern hemisphere is the same as the southern hemisphere except upside down. (And despite fading memory I know what I 'm talking about because I came from there.) For example the canary islands are in the northern hemisphere and I betcha they grow two crops a year there.

If you live in Berlin, no. Brussells, no. Findhorn, no.

Think about the word: "LATITUDE".

But as I think of our wonderful world you north people do have less options.

(Please forgive me for saying but you seem to be a bit down on your abilities. Try harder. Raise your expectations. You will surprise yourself!)

Out ...

KPT

Well, um, well ... seems to me the northern hemisphere is the same as the southern hemisphere except upside down. (And despite fading memory I know what I 'm talking about because I came from there.) For example the canary islands are in the northern hemisphere and I betcha they grow two crops a year there.

If you live in Berlin, no. Brussells, no. Findhorn, no.

But as I think of our wonderful world you north people do have less options.

(Please forgive me for saying but you seem to be a bit down on your abilities. Try harder. Raise your expectations. You will surprise yourself!)

Out ...

you're right I should've been more specific, I live in the Netherlands haha. so that's why I'm reaaaally questioning this since we are known for our shitty weather over here.
Trust me I'm confident in my growing skills, seeing last years yields, its just that this idea seems pretty ambitious and full of potential fck ups

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
so you're saying it's not worth it to go for 2 rounds? are you also in the northern hemisphere if i may ask? and what do you mean by 'semi' auto?

I'm at 52 on the date line. Middle of England. Lots of outdoor growers use latitude info as location, as it's an indication of light hours. Holland is just over the sea there, so I use a lot of what they breed for outdoors. 52 goes through Canada also, but while they have the same light hours, they are freezing their balls off over there.

I may have this wrong, but I think the Danes are fairly cool about smoke and have plants that are classed as semi auto. They won't get fully in the swing of flowering under 24h light, like a full auto. They will look 10 days in though. They tend to wait till a few feet tall then want to flower, but can't quite get the hang of it. It's a 2 week advantage though, beside a regular photo plant. Perhaps flowering at 17-18 hours, not 14-16 hours. Real Gorilla seeds are worth looking at. I think they took this cold climate gear of Denmark which looks great, and put it with regular stuff to make it a better smoke. This is where I'm confused, but regardless, their catalogue is good.

Edited as I know where you are now

goingrey

Oh you are in NL.

Do you know what the outdoor "Purple" sold in coffeeshops is?

I have a feeling something like that would do you good (non-auto so single crop).

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
61N here, so pretty North. Dark side of the planet, too, so dark winters and nightless nights from spring to mid-summer and 2 harvests totally doable.
That´s actually kinda how you want to do it, not to screw the whole season up if you grow autos. Because yea, like someone said, wet fall will mess a lot of AF-strains up because they mould up easy. Especially stuff from indoor seed makers and/or OD AF-strains from more southern places. Which for me is pretty much the rest of the planet. If you go up from here, you´re gonna hit the arctic circle soon. And lemme tell you that´s all you´ll be hitting cause bong water starts freezing around here in August. Hehe, that´s a bit of Northern OD grower weed humour there.. But enough about that.

You´re gonna wanna plant at least 2 runs and separate em according to your climate. There´s the wet fall, but also cold spring. Plant too late and take your chances with winter.
Plant too early and, well, same thing. Couple of years ago we had a warm spring, bit on the dry side but I figured I´ll start real early and it´ll be just fine if I haul water.
I mean, what could go wrong? So I did it and it worked, seeds came up kinda slow, but I got like 80% germ from the stuff I planted. Seedlings looked good, I was on my way, BAY-BAY!

Then one morning I woke up and looked out the window and
fetch?photoid=17584543.jpg

MOTHERFUCK!

This was early May and what was kinda good weather turned into cold and snow for 3-4 days, then continued kinda cold for another two weeks or so.
100% loss with the seedlings, from some 600 seeds I planted. But then I did two more planting runs, and 1 of em was good. The other was so-so because even with the pretty good season we had in 2020 I think this was. God damn winter always coming.

52N, totally doable. I´m not sure if I would even call it north. You guys don´t even have to wear pants like 9-10 months of the year. Shorts are enough.
I wear pants made outta polar bear skin to like June. Killed em shits with me bare hands. That´s pretty north.

Too right, m8 :) Good luck with the outdoors. Give it a few seasons and see how it goes, you´ll figure it out eventually. Just dont give up and don´t be afraid to fail.
And make your own seeds if you find stuff that works and is suitable for your conditions. You might have to settle and the selection will be limited with even stuff that is worth trying. Because north is not south. It´s fucking cold and shit, damn it.

Latest posts

Latest posts