What's new

Multi-flow/Ebb&Grow Users: TIPS&TRICKS

highgrade

Hydroton is a great medium if you dont mind cleaning it. Most people would agree cleaning the hydroton is a pain in the arse.

Coco is light weight and reusable provided you take the right steps in conditioning the coco before reuse.

The placement of rockwool in your pot is personal preference. Some people prefer to bury it and others advise against it because larger rockwool cubes tend to stay wet too long, it all really depends on your specific setup.

The pre-made buckets have plenty of room for root growth and I have never personally observed a need for a bigger bucket (I grow 3 foot trees). Again, I would have to say this depends on your grow situation and preference. What works for you will not always work for another grower in their specific grow situation, do what works for you.

Throw it in a washing machine:)

mg75

stadium

stadium

Has anyone used this system in a vertical stadium setup?
Will the different heights of the buckets affect the pumping in/out of water?

Has anyone used this system in a vertical stadium setup?
Will the different heights of the buckets affect the pumping in/out of water?

You would need a controller bucket for each level you place buckets to set the fill level of the buckets at that elevation.

Kush Farmer

Hydroton is a great medium if you dont mind cleaning it. Most people would agree cleaning the hydroton is a pain in the arse.

This is a gross understatement!!!!!

Any tips on how to get the remaining water out of the buckets at the start of the cleaning?

don't like getting my floor all wet when pulling them apart.

I use a 10x10 pieces of plywood stacked to the depth to the water. Just be sure your water lines don't sag.

Apollo11

This is a gross understatement!!!!!

Some people's tolerance for tedious manual labour is higher than others. It appears that we are in the same tolerance range, lol.

One 50 liter of hydroton was enough for me to know that I needed another option. Coco is a great medium for those looking for an alternative.

Kush Farmer

Some people's tolerance for tedious manual labour is higher than others. It appears that we are in the same tolerance range, lol.

One 50 liter of hydroton was enough for me to know that I needed another option. Coco is a great medium for those looking for an alternative.

LOL! Try 400L of the crap!! I still find my tolerence for giving money away is far lower than my tolerance for manual labour. So any time I can reuse something, I do. It's one of those things I bitch and whine about but never change. EHHH! What can you do?!?!?

john7894

Hello guys I have a quick question for whoever can give a educated answer. I am currently using a ebb&flo 35 bucket system controlled by one res and one brain. I am currently 2 wks into flowering. The medium I am using is half hydroton (on the bottom) and half rockwool cubes (on the top). I feed for an hour to make sure all the buckets fill completely up. When we flood, the buckets are filled to about an inch below the top of the rockwool so everything is submerged. The theory is that the rockwool cubes will retain enough nutes to only have to flood once a day. We are worried that if we flood more than once a day it could lead to root rot. Do you believe that this is enough or should we feed more than once? We also feed it right when the plants wake up. Is this a good time? We are newer growers and any feedback would be appreciated.

Kush Farmer

Hello guys I have a quick question for whoever can give a educated answer. I am currently using a ebb&flo 35 bucket system controlled by one res and one brain. I am currently 2 wks into flowering. The medium I am using is half hydroton (on the bottom) and half rockwool cubes (on the top). I feed for an hour to make sure all the buckets fill completely up. When we flood, the buckets are filled to about an inch below the top of the rockwool so everything is submerged. The theory is that the rockwool cubes will retain enough nutes to only have to flood once a day. We are worried that if we flood more than once a day it could lead to root rot. Do you believe that this is enough or should we feed more than once? We also feed it right when the plants wake up. Is this a good time? We are newer growers and any feedback would be appreciated.

Your plants will tell you. I personally would do two 30 minute floods, but it is up to you. I would worry more about them drying out than root rot. Although root rot is common in the mutiflow systems it isn't going to happen that easily. The most common cause it too long of a veg time allowing massive rootballs thus leading to rootbound to root death to root rot. If I were you would time exactly how long it takes to flood the furthest bucket on the chain. Then add five or ten minutes to that.

HUGE

Veteran
Your plants will tell you. I personally would do two 30 minute floods, but it is up to you. I would worry more about them drying out than root rot. Although root rot is common in the mutiflow systems it isn't going to happen that easily. The most common cause it too long of a veg time allowing massive rootballs thus leading to rootbound to root death to root rot. If I were you would time exactly how long it takes to flood the furthest bucket on the chain. Then add five or ten minutes to that.

How long of a veg I generally acceptable in the ebb&gro?

beamx0r

Im assuming using coco instead of hydroton would be better for beneficial bac to cling to.

any one out there using coco in their e&f buckets have info on this?

pimpjuice

Im assuming using coco instead of hydroton would be better for beneficial bac to cling to.

any one out there using coco in their e&f buckets have info on this?

Coco works great in these systems. Use a smart pot / geo-pot as a liner. A nice thing about coco is you can get a couple runs in without having to change the coco. I just cut the old plant out and stick a new one.

HUGE

Veteran
This run the plants veged too long and the bottom bucket filled full of roots then rotted. Next run I'm veging in the lil caps then transplanting to a 5 gal version for flower. This sound good? Or should I just start in the 5 gal?

D

DHF

When you get ready ta build a bulletproof 5 gal ebb and flow bucket setup Huge , just holler.........

Ran mine for over 5 yrs and never knew what rootrot looked like........I think you might`ve clogged your lil bullshit polytube feedlines with those extra roots Bro and that was the beginning of the end.......

The bought units don`t feed fast enough ta push root clogs once established and/or stagnant O2 up and outta the rootzone from the juice left in the bottom from the previous feed , as well as drainin way too slow IMO ......

Saw many many threads bout the cheapass float switches in the controller buckets stickin shut from residual salt buildup , emptyin the rez out into the floor and burnin the pumps up , but never rootrot......You`re special Huge.........lol.......

Saw the new units drain from the bottom......could be an improvement......

I hard plumbed my setups and blasted feed in , and sucked it right back out to pull fresh O2 down through the rootzone for explosive root growth......3 times a day......No feed lights off.....dialed conditions.........

Good luck....DHF.........:ying:..........

HUGE

Veteran
I'm hollering. I am building the 5 gal system next week so if you have some links I'm all in. I was just going take the parts off the cap controller and put them on a 5 gal. Then just drill the buckets out. Upgrade to 3/4 lines also. Should I stuck with the idea of veging in the smaller ones and transplanting to 5 gal in flower or 5 gal all the way?

The root rot wa a combination of things
1. Too long veg
2. 80 degree res
3. Botanicare nutes +hygrozyme in a recirc system.

Big fuck up and I have fixed everything sept 5 gal buckets.

D

DHF

Hey Huge......

I can show yas howta do away with the bullshit controller and just add a bucket in the bloom room with an industrial float switch wired back to the feed pump to kill the pump as a failsafe device since roots take up more and more volume in the containers till the end of stretch with dialed conditions......or yas can use the components from the setup and build a controller that`s boundta fail at some point in the game and flood your room.......

For my ebb and flow bucket setups I had separate pre-veg areas where I used 8 bulb t-5`s to keep internode length short by blastin their ass with 432 watts in small air-cooled cabinets and that`s where they got trimmed , pruned , and shaped for keepers goin into the bloom rooms ta blast em off during the stretch.......

For the most explosive root growth , always use smaller containers for pre-veg and up pot/transplant to the 5 gal`s in the bloom rooms......Don`t be afraid ta fuck with the roots........gently position em down amongst the big containers , cover and juice em up......they`ll be fine..........

Just hit me in PM.....keeps from cloggin the thread............

Peace...DHF........:ying:......

Latest posts

Latest posts