What's new

:::::::Mulching Plants with Compost:::::::

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A couple years ago I was asked to apply compost 3-4 inches deep as mulch to a landscape bed. I always thought it would be a good idea for a garden.

Found a great product made in our state that is composted chicken manure and peat humus. Its leftover from last season so its had lots of time to break down. It says its a neutral ph. Obviously would be great to use when digging the holes initially.

A couple weeks ago I applied about 2 inches compost and worked it into the first inch of soil and they loved it! This weekend I applied compost 3-4 inches deep and watered it in well. The plants were on the move today! Easy compost tea! :smoke:

Has anyone tried this? Could use bark mulch too, but compost would be better!

Helps retain moisture like mulch, but adds nutrients and healthy root zone!

7/14/2019 shot from the same growth stage. Week ahead this year!

picture.php

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cool! Happy plants! Can't burn with composted manure! Has to be broken down well of course. Should have an earthy smell.

I used to use Espoma Garden tone and Plant tone, or tomato tone organic fertilizer, but I quit using it this year because its too easy to burn with it. I am sure its the fertilizer its happened over an over since last year!

The extra compost helps support the plant too!

Here's the fertilizer burn from last year.

picture.php

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
that picture don't look burned to me, I use lots of fertilizers with my composts, cow manure, chicken pellets, alfalfa, rock phos, bone meal, EWC, kelp, potash, langbienite, dry molasses.

of course i'm also using plenty of lime, gypsum, rock dusts, humic acid, and clay for minerals as well as perlite, rice hulls and partially composted chipped wood for lightening up my mixture.

you can find recipe examples in my thread.

last years outs turned out nice with these ingredients.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Success!!! Thats fantastic results! :smoke:

I used to have to hike and did more guerilla style gardening. Now I'm able to pull the truck up close and can haul in fencing, water, fertilizer, hunting dogs, picnic lunch; its great! I am using this chicken compost with peat humus instead of cow manure because its more nitrogen. Its a 1.54-0.69- 0.60 fertilizer content blend. I think cow manure compost is only about 0.5 N from what I remember, but its slow release.

It ruined the harvest after I fertilized one last time late August. I thought it needed it! Haha! This pic is back in late june/july 2019. Won't do that again. Have you heard of anyone having this issue with Espoma tone products? I assume its a hot product in their mix.

picture.php

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I try not to use too much lime, about 1/4-1/2 cup per hole every year. I think thats a good rate. Heat is going away for a couple days and next week it is supposed to really heat up! Get that mulch put down guys! Start loading up on water!

The canopy shades the soil but it helps to have some mulch.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They didn't do too bad last year! I had enough productive plants survive to get me and my friends through! :smoke:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php