What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mulch. Just do it.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Mulch and cover crop

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

VortexPower420

Veteran
I love using forest duff as mulch. It brings in so many different kinds of critters.

One word of caution. Make sure you have go thrip protection. I caught a good case of thrips. It took a heavy application of predatory mites to knock them back. Still dealing with them a little.

Alot of things were at play to. I was busy so the soil was drying out more and the summer heat came.

W

Welly

This season I used omri cert Cocoa shells as a compost and I will never look back. Not only has it been an effective mulch but it has also become a layer of soil, worms and microbes went to work quick. It literally reduced my water usage by approx 20%

Undoubtedly the most aromatic mulch I have seen. I also can't help but wonder if the oils and terpenes don't contribute somehow to terpene production in the plants themselves. I would probably use this stuff as a straight amendment and definitely going to be running it through my compost

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Can i use straw as a mulch?

You can, but sometimes mice and small rodents will make their homes in it since it is so big and fluffy..

You're better off to use dried up grass clippings mixed with somewhat shredded leaves...

Also, the unfinished stuff from your compost pile works great..

kokomarin

In my growing area(Adriatic Sea costal,gerila stayle,)manure,compost wich still smell is way to lose plant sooner or later,I use straw and heavy stones on the top.
Wild pigs game:)

jaype

I have some mulch were a tree company cut trees and then mulched it up for me. It has been laying outside in a big pile for a year maybe a little longer. Would it be OK to use this on top of my soil? Both indoors and out? I do know I dug down in it and worms are everywhere and have eat a lot of it along with other insects I would think.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I wouldn't bring it indoors because of the pests it can bring. But you can use it outdoors as long as it wasn't evergreen trees, those are too acid and might play too much with your soil ph.

SamsonsRiddle

Has anyone tried using vermiculite for mulch indoors? I have used it before with promix, which helped plain promix from separating from the side of the pots as it dried. I'm just looking for something that is readily available to use inside without the possibility of pests, and thought about this.

Any thoughts?

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I used perlite as a "mulch" to fight a fungus gnat infestation. It also reflects light because it's white. I guess vermiculite could work too, but not as good as other vegetal mulches.

Latest posts

Latest posts