What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mr.Sparkle’s Arduino Controlled 5 Gal Bucket Micro Grow 2017

M

Mr. Sparkle

Were on Day 12 or so things are starting to pick up, i plucked the small new tip, which is just after the third node, reason being to promote bushing and to allow me to have a wider multiple bud canopy that we will be trying to keep even later on.

Programming and setup i haven't touched and seems good, so its in full auto mode and i probably wont have to touch anything till were done, apart from reservoir refills.

twbn0pL.jpg

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Brilliant.

A little over my head, but the LED bulb tear down alone is worth the aneurysm, lol

subbed

M

Mr. Sparkle

4.5 days since the last pic, still getting bigger, and the nodes are starting to go now so give another week and we'll be tying things down.

3KWJdGc.jpg

M

Mr. Sparkle

what strain is this?

thx.

Sweet Seeds - Ice Cool Auto

Its from some seeds i won from a contest back around christmas, have two more going in my one pc case, but they aren't done yet and i ran into some issues with the mix they were in so i cant really say anything as far as what to expect yield wise, or even smoke wise as i don't even know if i'll like them or not.

But its good enough to do a trial run :biggrin:

M

Mr. Sparkle

Day 19, lowered the feed concentration as i was seeing some issues, looks very happy now also moved the hose so the pot will bottom feed, and i'll be using the hooks for tie down purposes shortly as you can see, if things go well we should have around 7 tops, only thing i might do is remove the top fan leafs so the bud tops under them can catch up.

Looking good so far

4ba7b04.jpg

M

Mr. Sparkle

I finally found all black buckets, I will be building something similar to yours Mr. Sparkle.

gonna be a lot easier with all black buckets, even if just the outside bucket is black :yes:

i want to make a second bucket but with the wiring done on a protoboard for ease, and use those small 1" oled displays that are available instead of a standard 1602 lcd that i've been using, also change the lights to cool whites instead of soft whites and run the pleated mylar instead of the flat white paint for comparison purposes, But i want to see how this bucket handles first, that and i don't need another grow box/container.

Also that code lockup i was having with my pc cases, still need to put in some more time but pretty sure it was due to a under speced/powered DC-DC buck converter, it couldn't handle the amperage draw when a bunch of events happened all at once, which would drop the power going to the arduino causing it to lock up.

M

Mr. Sparkle

Day 22 i guess, plucked the two top fan leafs to expose bud sites under them, can't even tell, will probably start training the tops a bit probably come end of this week or mid next week, also the pot could be running a bit wetter but ill leave it as is for now.

CsK8lun.jpg

M

Mr. Sparkle

thanks for stopping by everyone.

Did a bit of correction today hopefully , but It's hard to tell issues sometimes when viewing under the non corrected/accurate 2700k light, but was noticing some twisting and a couple issues, pulled the pot out and got it under good light to take a look.

Well looks like the start of some nitrogen toxicity which is the reason i dialed back the ec of the feed water 4 days ago anyways, so the coco just got over saturated i figure and was still that way even after cutting the feed ec back, and the twisting typically comes from pH related issues, so figured i should do a test as well which, it would of been running on the lower side of 6.4-6.2 or less so could of had a slight issue, so just flushed everything thoroughly then gave a half strength feed so things can even out for the next couple of days, We'll see if it improves.

thanks for stopping by everyone.

Did a bit of correction today hopefully , but It's hard to tell issues sometimes when viewing under the non corrected/accurate 2700k light, but was noticing some twisting and a couple issues, pulled the pot out and got it under good light to take a look.

Well looks like the start of some nitrogen toxicity which is the reason i dialed back the ec of the feed water 4 days ago anyways, so the coco just got over saturated i figure and was still that way even after cutting the feed ec back, and the twisting typically comes from pH related issues, so figured i should do a test as well which, it would of been running on the lower side of 6.4-6.2 or less so could of had a slight issue, so just flushed everything thoroughly then gave a half strength feed so things can even out for the next couple of days, We'll see if it improves.
I'm interested in seeing how your flush goes, I want to get started in coco as well, I have a small PC i'm converting into a grow space, its a whopping .6 square feet. I plan on running an 80w custom LED panel i'm having designed. 44.1v @ 1800ma power supply, 7 LEDs in series x 12 strings total, for a total of 84 LEDS. Much like the Quantum boards just smaller. I plan on using the Samsung LM282B diodes, as you can get them for .08 cents each if you buy 1000 of them lol.

I finished gutting the PC a couple days ago, and just printed a dual drive bay mount for my I2C lcd :) You've been such an inspiration to my projects, I hope you don't mind me being a "fanboy" haha.

I've put ordering that custom PCB I designed off, until I have some more experience and know what exactly I want to do with it. I'm thinking eventually the All in one unit like you mentioned is the real ticket.

Last edited:
M

Mr. Sparkle

80w will be over kill for 0.6sqft, im running around 50+w in my cases which are 0.85 and 1.0sqft roughly, and well like my bucket is 26-28w at 0.66 sqft, but the verdict is out on that one till i get a harvest out of it.

So how good are you with your surface mount soldering skills, presume you would be looking into using solder paste and reflowing in a oven if your going that route.

80w will be over kill for 0.6sqft, im running around 50+w in my cases which are 0.85 and 1.0sqft roughly, and well like my bucket is 26-28w at 0.66 sqft, but the verdict is out on that one till i get a harvest out of it.

So how good are you with your surface mount soldering skills, presume you would be looking into using solder paste and reflowing in a oven if your going that route.
I'm decent enough, I have a toaster oven I converted to a reflow oven and I have some low temp solder paste to aid as well. I plan on being able to dim these boards, because i'm certain that 80w is overkill and will probably bleach my plants lol.