What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Moving to the Bay Area and want to connect with employers

Qqqqqqqqqqqqq

How does one accomplish this? With the market opening up and my upcoming move to California, I have an interest in meeting growers and handing out my resume. I've worked as a scientist in plant breeding and plant pathology for a few years now doing large scale agricultural based research, have grown for 10 years, and would like to work more professionally in the industry. I'll take all the help, comments, or suggestions (or inquiries :D) I can get. Thanks!

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
If you don't have any connections and no reputation in the industry your options are pretty standard. There's job boards online and some groups offering staffing services(they have a hiring fair in Oakland). I actually managed to get a job from one of the online job boards of all things. Didn't work out, but was a stepping stone to better things for me.

Much like anything else these days, it's all about who you know. So networking your way to a job is an option if you have that type of personality. I wouldn't meet you because you have no reputation or references. Traditional corporate entities won't care about that at all. So those are the kind of people I would seek out.

What have you worked on in terms of plant breeding and pathology?

Qqqqqqqqqqqqq

If you don't have any connections and no reputation in the industry your options are pretty standard. There's job boards online and some groups offering staffing services(they have a hiring fair in Oakland). I actually managed to get a job from one of the online job boards of all things. Didn't work out, but was a stepping stone to better things for me.

Much like anything else these days, it's all about who you know. So networking your way to a job is an option if you have that type of personality. I wouldn't meet you because you have no reputation or references. Traditional corporate entities won't care about that at all. So those are the kind of people I would seek out.

Thanks for the response. I have performed research in discovering the genetic and cellular mechanisms related to reproductive barriers developed evolutionarily between geographically separated species of wild tomato, I have worked on a project funded by a major agricultural company to develop an herbicide resistant crop, and spent a year and a half performing plant pathogen diagnostics by receiving samples from fruit and vegetable seed producers from around the world and using micro, molecular, and plant pathological techniques to detect pathogens of interest.

Qqqqqqqqqqqqq

I also do have references, but they are well known and published scientists and not part of the cannabis industry. I did work in Colorado for the recreational industry as a consultant for approximately 6 months on a multi warehouse operation doing approximately 70lbs per month. Mainly fixing environmental and nutrient deficiency issues and bringing them up to speed on current equipment and techniques. Unfortunately, I have a confidentiality agreement with them so I can't use that as a reference, but my science related references wouldn't mind talking to anyone in the industry.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Done. Much appreciated.

I would love to be able to work for Kevin, he's really got an ocean of knowledge about weed to share.

here's a few great videos of Kevin dropping knowledge.

How to Make Your Terpenes LOUD and Keep Them That Way

[youtubeif]1vSfPl-3Q5M[/youtubeif]
How To Operate A Marijuana Clone Nursery (Part 3)

there are 7 videos on Jorge's uploads filmed at Wonderland showing all aspects of their op. some have other names, check his uploads list sorted by most recent, they are in a cluster.
[youtubeif]cfoTWUihnQI[/youtubeif]

Learn about cuttings at Wonderland nursery

[youtubeif]gANNEB4ZbX0[/youtubeif]

Qqqqqqqqqqqqq

I would love to be able to work for Kevin, he's really got an ocean of knowledge about weed to share.

here's a few great videos of Kevin dropping knowledge.

How to Make Your Terpenes LOUD and Keep Them That Way

[youtubeif]1vSfPl-3Q5M[/youtubeif]
How To Operate A Marijuana Clone Nursery (Part 3)

there are 7 videos on Jorge's uploads filmed at Wonderland showing all aspects of their op. some have other names, check his uploads list sorted by most recent, they are in a cluster.
[youtubeif]cfoTWUihnQI[/youtubeif]

Learn about cuttings at Wonderland nursery

[youtubeif]gANNEB4ZbX0[/youtubeif]

Nice cloning video. All about uniformity. He seems like a professional person. I'll have to rummage through some more of his work.

Qqqqqqqqqqqqq

Geez. I've been job hunting for so long and I have so many damn skills. I can't believe how hard it is. People with nice jobs are so lucky.

kelly1376

Most people in this industry already think they know everything there is to know about growing and someone with your qualifications can be intimidating or seen as an outsider.

But, the cream eventually rises to the top.

In your shoes I'd start sharing some of your knowledge writing. Write some articles on things you've learned that can help other growers increase yields, cut costs etc. I'm sure you have a ton of knowledge. Start sharing it and someone will eventually realize you could help their organization.

Gry

Veteran
Getting a post count up past fifty has benefits that could be useful.