What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Moving to Netherlands ?

The_Tick

Moving to the Netherlands and a non-EU national is tough. The immigration department can't keep up with the annual policy changes. The price of living in the Netherlands is ridiculous. Immigration expenses, rent, insurances, 52% income tax, parking, food, clothing, beer and ect.

1 of the most expensive cities in Europe + Cheapest cannabis prices in Europe = No profit for growers

I visited the NL once.

With another American and a French person.. visited Amsterdam. Alot of netherlanders seemed to exhibit an overly apparent sense of superiority/"intellectual humility." Seemingly from the other American I was with who always speaks loudly. or his voice 'projects well' as most say.. atleast relative to the natives.

The "dutch" they speak is very soft to the ears and it does not involve alot of the low frequency tones so commonplace in the english language. This makes it easy for their adept ears to hear english from further distances than their ever quiet-"mouth noise" language (as I refer to it seeming as it uses minimal low chest/low frequency sounds).

I, despite not being loud in any way, was many times stared at (subtly) or talked about by native passer bys, which I found to be quite rude (most times I found this was when the American I was with talked since his voice projects.. normally in America people mind their own business when people are walking about talking, however here I noticed that people down any given alley/streetway would have heard him from 10m and already started to eavesdrop). Although I cannot speak their 'dutch,' I chose to speak french more than english and found they weren't so rude and arrogant when they couldn't understand what I was saying

All in all the experience could have been better. Beautiful city too. Canals are stunning, some phenomenal architecture and there were alot of extremely courteous A-dammer natives.

Europe has long been one of my favorite places I've been to and possibly someday I'll have enough money to have a second house there.

I'll stick to rotterdam next time.

B

British_Bulldog

southflorida said:
After that I want to move to Spain and semi-retire, and grow my stuff outside in my backyard, like Nole from Willie Wortels

southflorida, I think you mean "Nol" from WW - I don't know if you've ever met him, but he's a sound guy.

And yes, it would be nice to semi-retire and grow some nice herb in the back yard! :D

Moving to the Netherlands and a non-EU national is tough. The immigration department can't keep up with the annual policy changes. The price of living in the Netherlands is ridiculous. Immigration expenses, rent, insurances, 52% income tax, parking, food, clothing, beer and ect.

1 of the most expensive cities in Europe + Cheapest cannabis prices in Europe = No profit for growers

Tick, you're right about NL being expensive to live in, but not about the wholesale herb prices.

I used to think the same, but found out that in fact the herb prices are relatively high nowadays, unlike a few years ago when they were low.

I discovered this is because the police have been cracking down more, and there are much less commercial ops on the go now, as well as a largely reduced small to medium scene too.

SativaDreams, the thing is is that here in Europe, Americans have a bad reputation for being loud, uncultured and ignorant. I have some good American friends, and obviously don't buy into the stereotype, but that's what a lot of people think here.

I'm not sure why you refer to the Dutch language as in inverted commas, or as "their Dutch", kinda strange if you ask me - you've got to respect that it's their language and they're very proud of it, as I'm sure you would be if you were Dutch.

Peace

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
One trip, and Sativa Dreams has it dialed.....

It is apparent, the 'Merkin Drug Tourists (of which I am sometimes sort of one) are often obvious... Wearing Warmup clothes, which to the Dutch look like Pajamas.... Gym Shoes to go out at night is something Europeans scoff at. REMEMBER, You are a guest in anothers' country. Then the ubiquitous Baseball caps, which the Nederlanders see as a Childish Fashion that adults do not take part in.

Next, we address the Inevitable 'Merkin Loud Talkers, already mentioned here.... In Holland, as a policy, immigrants MUST be able to speak Dutch conversationally....How would said "Loud-Talker" feel if a member of a minority group was in HIS homogenous Whitebread US City, acting very obnoxious, and talking in a different language VERY loud....? I am sure there would be racial epithets about how they "ought to go back where they came from...>!" A very common outlook in the You Ess Ay.

The Dutch are Gracious, educated, and not arrogant. Anyone who feels that they are callous is sufferring from a self-esteem problem having nothing to do with the Nederlanders. Maybe they ARE better than you. It is called LEARNING.. Take something away from it, and improve yrself.

I try to blend in, such that people would think I was local. At least until I speak, and ruin it... lol... Dress nice, LOSE THE HOODIE (not looked upon favorably) and be respectful. Always.

A few International Trips under ones' belt DOES lead to a well-rounded personality. 'Merkin Culture - in it's "everydayness," leads to Anger Management Issues, a lack of personal accountability, and social inability to function with GRACE....

Instead of disturbing a whole room of gentle people, in a Coffeeshop, or whatever - And yelling at anyone who will listen:

"DUDE< AMSTERDAM ROCKS....! WHERE YA FROM...! (at 100 decibels).

I cannot tell you all how many times I have seen that happen.

'Merkins need to get back that grace.... Quit watching/emulating the Video Games and MMA fighting shows.... Read a book that improves you or your world. Get a passport, and no matter how uncomfortable it is for those who carry XENOPHOBIA, GET OUT THERE AND TRAVEL.

It is a big world. Ones' point of view is BY NO MEANS the only one.

Peace.

The_Tick

British_Bulldog Chances of harvesting are small. The margins are to small.

Lived there for 7 years. See it, done it...

B

British_Bulldog

Tick, I can't believe that after living there for 7 years you didn't work out how to get away with it and turn a good profit? Seems kinda strange to me

"One trip and sativa has it dialed"

I'm only offering a personal experience, that's what I use words for is to communicate experiences to other fellow humans! If you simply use them to disparage then perhaps you should reconsider your views aswell..

How would said "Loud-Talker" feel if a member of a minority group was in HIS homogenous Whitebread US City,

WOW talk about racist and ignorant. I don't believe I've ever lived in a "whitebread" US City as you call it.. considering america is comprised of nearly all ethnicities I don't know what you're talking about. You can search google for city demographics by typing in "__________ demographics" insert city name on blank line

Sure they are educated. Their public education recieves more funding on average than american public schools (as the same with most european states being further advanced in education.) if they truly were far more educated, and as you put it "BETTER than you" perhaps they would have been more humble. and no one said "the dutch are arrogant." you shouldn't be so rude as to stretch my post and make it sound as if I made any statement even close to that.

All in all I would go back to try and understand their culture. Next time though I would probably have the gall to ignore the rude people and take strides with the courteous ones. Thanks to the a-dammers who were great and helped me with directions and acted as a semi-tourguide around the city explaining the local area. If it weren't for the amazingly hospitable a-dammers I would have left in a rush from feeling unwelcome!

southflorida

lives on planet 4:20
Veteran
southflorida, I think you mean "Nol" from WW - I don't know if you've ever met him, but he's a sound guy.

lol...yes, I meant Nol, and I have not met him, but have been in his shops
many times, and Indica is my favorite, with Sativa not far behind, to be
honest, I have never made it to Sensimilla, because every time I have been
so wasted after toking in those two shops I end up getting lost, and just
going to one of the many really good restaurants in Haarlem and munching
on the food until the buzz wears off!

Then I always turn around and go back to Indica for another joint or two of
the Amnesia Haze or Nevile's Haze, or sometimes even a combo-joint :abduct:

I am into sativas, and the herb in both Sativa and Indica always does the
job to put me in outer space, every time!

The_Tick

British_Bulldog After investing some years in the Dam anything is possible. Just stating that the competition is high and the margins are small. Only a few find their way.

B

British_Bulldog

You know Tick, I used to think exactly like you, but as I said, it's all changed man.

For top quality herb, I know for sure the price is high and competition is low.

I don't think you were involved with the right people, a lot depends on who you know.

Peace

Killacash

One trip, and Sativa Dreams has it dialed.....

It is apparent, the 'Merkin Drug Tourists (of which I am sometimes sort of one) are often obvious... Wearing Warmup clothes, which to the Dutch look like Pajamas.... Gym Shoes to go out at night is something Europeans scoff at. REMEMBER, You are a guest in anothers' country. Then the ubiquitous Baseball caps, which the Nederlanders see as a Childish Fashion that adults do not take part in.

Next, we address the Inevitable 'Merkin Loud Talkers, already mentioned here.... In Holland, as a policy, immigrants MUST be able to speak Dutch conversationally....How would said "Loud-Talker" feel if a member of a minority group was in HIS homogenous Whitebread US City, acting very obnoxious, and talking in a different language VERY loud....? I am sure there would be racial epithets about how they "ought to go back where they came from...>!" A very common outlook in the You Ess Ay.

The Dutch are Gracious, educated, and not arrogant. Anyone who feels that they are callous is sufferring from a self-esteem problem having nothing to do with the Nederlanders. Maybe they ARE better than you. It is called LEARNING.. Take something away from it, and improve yrself.

I try to blend in, such that people would think I was local. At least until I speak, and ruin it... lol... Dress nice, LOSE THE HOODIE (not looked upon favorably) and be respectful. Always.

A few International Trips under ones' belt DOES lead to a well-rounded personality. 'Merkin Culture - in it's "everydayness," leads to Anger Management Issues, a lack of personal accountability, and social inability to function with GRACE....

Instead of disturbing a whole room of gentle people, in a Coffeeshop, or whatever - And yelling at anyone who will listen:

"DUDE< AMSTERDAM ROCKS....! WHERE YA FROM...! (at 100 decibels).

I cannot tell you all how many times I have seen that happen.

'Merkins need to get back that grace.... Quit watching/emulating the Video Games and MMA fighting shows.... Read a book that improves you or your world. Get a passport, and no matter how uncomfortable it is for those who carry XENOPHOBIA, GET OUT THERE AND TRAVEL.

It is a big world. Ones' point of view is BY NO MEANS the only one.

Peace.

LOL, you did absolutely nothing but reinforce his point.

I seriously found this hilarious.

Okay, back to my hole.

Latest posts

Latest posts