What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Moving to CO...need advice.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A jobs a job when your a grunt. Love to grow weed. The rest is just work. Trimmin days on end aint as much fun as u think lol...

You got that right. From local TV news clips you see seniors trimming w/ latex gloves. Supplements their Social Security, so you know it pays minimally.

LEDSmoke

Kinda have the same question as the op.

More interested on how to put your foot in the door in CO.
Worked in CA on a farm and have trimmed plenty. Willing to start from the bottom and do grunt work just didn't know where to go to start the climb.

X

xavier7995

If you have a clean record and can present yourself as having even a modicum of responsibility, there seems to be a decent amount of entry jobs trimming or working the counter, minimum wage here though isn't really enough to live on. The thing that would be sort of hard is a lot of places want you to have a MED card before they will hire you, and you need to be a resident to get one, but it is easy other than that. Moving without a job is a pretty bad idea since so many people are coming to the area and looking for work, but you could probably grab some basic labor/service job if necessary to hold you over.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:yeahthats
it doesn't take a "clean record" to get a badge to get a job in the industry... just takes a relatively clean record, nothing pending and NO recent drug charges (5 or so years). key badge holders can't have drug felonies. no pending taxes or loans (gotta at least have a payment setup, if any financial shit you have is in default, badge aint gonna be easy to get, but you setup payments and start paying and the badge will come).
industry jobs ain't paying much, and real estate situation on the front range is.... fucked.

X

xavier7995

:yeahthats
it doesn't take a "clean record" to get a badge to get a job in the industry... just takes a relatively clean record, nothing pending and NO recent drug charges (5 or so years). key badge holders can't have drug felonies. no pending taxes or loans (gotta at least have a payment setup, if any financial shit you have is in default, badge aint gonna be easy to get, but you setup payments and start paying and the badge will come).
industry jobs ain't paying much, and real estate situation on the front range is.... fucked.

That is a good clarification, I shoulda said "fairly clean" but from what I gather the dispo's have enough applicants that any drug crimes will disqualify you.

Maybe they should look to change that, I have only had 2 budtenders (+1 that was decent) that actually knew what they were talking about. Then again, I don't think getting busted would make you any more knowledgeable, just expands the possible pool of applicants.

I think it would be quite a bit of fun to work at a dispo or even to just volunteer, would like to learn more on the commercial production side of things. Given the housing situation though, moving out here to make basically minimum wage, seems sorta pointless.

mtntrogger

Veteran
I have lived here in Colorado for over 20 years.... If your serious about moving , I would stay far from Denver, the actual statutorily is on average 500 People a day ! Are moving to Denver ! I live near a resort, where its also very expensive, however most the dudes who are dissuading you on here are living in that swollen city or somewhere near. There are plenty of affordable places to live here and opportunitys in the industry
.IF you are willing to live in a more remote location... i.e....many hour's from Denver. If you want to live in the highest town in the u.s., Leadville is pretty affordable. 3 bd can be found for less than a g a month.

LEDSmoke

I don't mind living far away from the city as long as I would be working at something in the industry. I'll look into leadville as well.

Also thanks everyone for the replies.
As far as my record all my charges have been expunged.

Philo, my southern brother, lemme help you out:

March of 2014, I was in Alabama. :/ The South hates pot, but a lot of locals have been doing it for a while (Gainesville, FL is notorious for their weed, and the first time I was ever stoned beyond recognition was from four hits off of a blunt of Florida weed... My testies felt like they weighed 150 lbs a piece man. XD)

And then I moved out to CO a week after my birthday. I had a friend stationed out here and decided that was my shot at getting out of the South. Lived there most of my life. I wanted to see something more, and I love the Colorado Mountains.

That being said: I got my Support badge 5 months ago. I don't know how to attain a "grow license" as I've not heard of it, I just see that no one needs me. Dispensaries have a fast turn around rate for employees, and if you didn't get there in time, then you're on a waiting list and you have to be persistant. I still haven't found a job in the industry, but I'm working on my personal greenthumb, and my knowledge, and I'm just doing my own thing. Eventually, the right people will come along and hear what I have to say.

It's not easy. Unless you have a buddy with hiring authority, I wouldn't pack your shit and move here. Network a bit first to be safe. Unless you're a hot chick (sorry for the sexism.. But it's true) you don't stand a chance unless they're attacking you with W2 forms because you're the best grower... EVER.

My invite to CO came from busting my ass for a decade and a half in a non canna related business. I have a degree in said business. So to tell the truth I don't need the "green rush". I have my own hard earned talents and am not looking to win the cannabis lotto. Just grow the best herb I possibly can and have fun doing it. There is a world of difference between wanting to un realistically get rich off of herb, and supplementing an income doing something I love. If I never sell a gram I will be happy growing my own smoke but I just don't see that happening.

The OP sounds like his expectations are somewhat realistic and is willing to bust ass and work his way up the ladder. Seems like good peeps in a tough situation. I sincerely hope he finds his way. Will he get rich? Most likely no, but I 100% believe he could make a living and be happy not risking life as a slave to the state. If anything he would gain life experience. That's the way normal business is done around the globe. Work, work, work, study,study, study, network, network, network. Cultivating new talents, tricks of the trade, finding folks you vibe with. Build, build, build. Then repeat that process as you climb the ladder. Some get a free pass to the top but I truly believe that hard work beats talent if talent refuses to work hard. Generating momentum and a positive reputation is key.

As for the rec bud being uncured well that is just greedy, and lazy. If they keep those practices up I will steam roll through there asses way too easy. It doesn't take that long to cure bud. It's just part of the process of doing things right. If you have to cut 11 week plants at 9 weeks and package it without a cure just to recover your initial investment then in my opinion you are not the type of competition I would bother worrying about. Unrefined, not dialed inn, uncured, sub par mersh genetics. I mean shit man who wants to be that guy? Easy targets from the sound of it. They are not trying their best and everyone knows it. People are screaming for a better alternative.

Plus when Amstradam style Coffee Shops open up the game will change again and being able to network and make new friends will be a huge bonus. When world class herb is being burned and everybody else is smoking overrated garbage all heads turn to see where that Sublime aroma is coming from, and how can I get some of that? Come on man people on these boards make contacts like that every day weather it's at a party, a canna event, through mutual friends. That is the way of the herb... Always has been.

I started growing in WA State and any top knotch grower I grew up around had his crop spoken for well before it was ever harvested. Not only that but they put limits on how much an individual could purchase. That's how I was taught and seen my entire life. All I have ever known, I do not see that changing any time soon.

Cream always rises to the top.

Macho Man Randy Savage: The Creeeam... Of the Crop.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, Bob. And I hope you do steam roll through these folks, because I'd like to work for someone with that mind set. Arid had it right. The recreational stores here (there are only two or three in my area of CO) have to do quick turn around bud, so they're small and uncured. I'm in a position where I can finally put all my grow theory to practice and so far I've been very lucky. WA growers are doing it right, CO has it's roots well into the extracts and concentrations area, but their bud is still immature in the game compared to the CA grower history. Tommy Chong himself said that the best weed he'd ever smoked was in California.

ne303

My invite to CO came from busting my ass for a decade and a half in a non canna related business. I have a degree in said business. So to tell the truth I don't need the "green rush". I have my own hard earned talents and am not looking to win the cannabis lotto. Just grow the best herb I possibly can and have fun doing it. There is a world of difference between wanting to un realistically get rich off of herb, and supplementing an income doing something I love. If I never sell a gram I will be happy growing my own smoke but I just don't see that happening.

The OP sounds like his expectations are somewhat realistic and is willing to bust ass and work his way up the ladder. Seems like good peeps in a tough situation. I sincerely hope he finds his way. Will he get rich? Most likely no, but I 100% believe he could make a living and be happy not risking life as a slave to the state. If anything he would gain life experience. That's the way normal business is done around the globe. Work, work, work, study,study, study, network, network, network. Cultivating new talents, tricks of the trade, finding folks you vibe with. Build, build, build. Then repeat that process as you climb the ladder. Some get a free pass to the top but I truly believe that hard work beats talent if talent refuses to work hard. Generating momentum and a positive reputation is key.

As for the rec bud being uncured well that is just greedy, and lazy. If they keep those practices up I will steam roll through there asses way too easy. It doesn't take that long to cure bud. It's just part of the process of doing things right. If you have to cut 11 week plants at 9 weeks and package it without a cure just to recover your initial investment then in my opinion you are not the type of competition I would bother worrying about. Unrefined, not dialed inn, uncured, sub par mersh genetics. I mean shit man who wants to be that guy? Easy targets from the sound of it. They are not trying their best and everyone knows it. People are screaming for a better alternative.

Plus when Amstradam style Coffee Shops open up the game will change again and being able to network and make new friends will be a huge bonus. When world class herb is being burned and everybody else is smoking overrated garbage all heads turn to see where that Sublime aroma is coming from, and how can I get some of that? Come on man people on these boards make contacts like that every day weather it's at a party, a canna event, through mutual friends. That is the way of the herb... Always has been.

I started growing in WA State and any top knotch grower I grew up around had his crop spoken for well before it was ever harvested. Not only that but they put limits on how much an individual could purchase. That's how I was taught and seen my entire life. All I have ever known, I do not see that changing any time soon.

Cream always rises to the top.

Haha I can def appreciate your confidence (or arrogance) in your growing skills and even the genetics you mention bro. One thing I try to live by everyday is never under estimate anyone. Those genetics you speak of and ALL others from both S & N Cali, Washington, Oregon (wherever) are and have been growing in CO for ever and at high quality! Trust me I'm born and raised here and am over 40, & can roll up some fire ass gg4 or fuelly ass og SD right now! BUT with that being said, if you can produce quality and consistant weight it will go. The price will depend on who you get to know and how desparate you are to turn the green into green. And yes bro there are connoisseurs here that know what the best is and will pay for it.
The rec and med disp markets are all fucked up because of all the desparate out of staters and trust fund babies that flooded the state in the beginning. The quality is bad because the prices are bad. I was in Cali this summer and the top shelf consitantly went for $350-$400/oz. In CO you can find oz for $125 even a $100 if your looking for weight. Just look on craigslist. I beileve most of the underground market is being shipped out of CO.
Now if you want to grow here commercially, you better come here with 1/2 - 1 million $ and you can buy a rec opc license and a lease of a warehouse. They are for sale all day in Denver, Aurora, CO springs, or Pueblo. If you just want to be a caregiver or personal rec grower, you should plan on buying a house! It is really hard to find a house to rent where the landlord will allow you to grow without paying ridiculous amounts of rent or they will consistantly be checking in on you to be sure you are not growing. And the main thing is there are not very many properties that dont fall under the county laws of 12 plants in a residential property with only 6 of them in flower no matter what the plant count on your red card says. This is a huge misconception even amongst CO natives. Everyone thinks they can pay the extra $ for a high plant count like 99 plants when they get their red card, but it doesnt matter cause very county put limits on residential grows. And If your going to come here to grow illegally you might as well stay where you are and do it!
And another warning I will give anyone coming out here, this is not a hick town like a lot of people think. We got ruff neighborhoods and people struggling to survive like any other metro area dont get caught slippen happens all the time

CoCoSativas

Ever hear of "Wherever you go, there you are?"

In the attempt to get away from being with ourselves, we search for something or someone to make us happy; the grass constantly appears greener someplace else. But in every relationship and every situation, there we are again.

Read your 'busted again' thread. Colorado doesn't look lightly on those with problems. One of the toughest states for driving infractions. Quite high utilities, high rent, mediocre wages.

Be sure you have your "life together" before striking out West.

Count on a low paying entry job and you won't be disappointed.

I remember that thread. Hilarious.

Did you loose the doo yet philostones?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Philo, my southern brother, lemme help you out:

March of 2014, I was in Alabama. :/ The South hates pot, but a lot of locals have been doing it for a while (Gainesville, FL is notorious for their weed, and the first time I was ever stoned beyond recognition was from four hits off of a blunt of Florida weed... My testies felt like they weighed 150 lbs a piece man. XD)

And then I moved out to CO a week after my birthday. I had a friend stationed out here and decided that was my shot at getting out of the South. Lived there most of my life. I wanted to see something more, and I love the Colorado Mountains.

That being said: I got my Support badge 5 months ago. I don't know how to attain a "grow license" as I've not heard of it, I just see that no one needs me. Dispensaries have a fast turn around rate for employees, and if you didn't get there in time, then you're on a waiting list and you have to be persistant. I still haven't found a job in the industry, but I'm working on my personal greenthumb, and my knowledge, and I'm just doing my own thing. Eventually, the right people will come along and hear what I have to say.

It's not easy. Unless you have a buddy with hiring authority, I wouldn't pack your shit and move here. Network a bit first to be safe. Unless you're a hot chick (sorry for the sexism.. But it's true) you don't stand a chance unless they're attacking you with W2 forms because you're the best grower... EVER.

So very true.

B

Bob Green

Haha I can def appreciate your confidence (or arrogance) in your growing skills and even the genetics you mention bro. One thing I try to live by everyday is never under estimate anyone. Those genetics you speak of and ALL others from both S & N Cali, Washington, Oregon (wherever) are and have been growing in CO for ever and at high quality! Trust me I'm born and raised here and am over 40, & can roll up some fire ass gg4 or fuelly ass og SD right now! BUT with that being said, if you can produce quality and consistant weight it will go. The price will depend on who you get to know and how desparate you are to turn the green into green. And yes bro there are connoisseurs here that know what the best is and will pay for it.
The rec and med disp markets are all fucked up because of all the desparate out of staters and trust fund babies that flooded the state in the beginning. The quality is bad because the prices are bad. I was in Cali this summer and the top shelf consitantly went for $350-$400/oz. In CO you can find oz for $125 even a $100 if your looking for weight. Just look on craigslist. I beileve most of the underground market is being shipped out of CO.
Now if you want to grow here commercially, you better come here with 1/2 - 1 million $ and you can buy a rec opc license and a lease of a warehouse. They are for sale all day in Denver, Aurora, CO springs, or Pueblo. If you just want to be a caregiver or personal rec grower, you should plan on buying a house! It is really hard to find a house to rent where the landlord will allow you to grow without paying ridiculous amounts of rent or they will consistantly be checking in on you to be sure you are not growing. And the main thing is there are not very many properties that dont fall under the county laws of 12 plants in a residential property with only 6 of them in flower no matter what the plant count on your red card says. This is a huge misconception even amongst CO natives. Everyone thinks they can pay the extra $ for a high plant count like 99 plants when they get their red card, but it doesnt matter cause very county put limits on residential grows. And If your going to come here to grow illegally you might as well stay where you are and do it!
And another warning I will give anyone coming out here, this is not a hick town like a lot of people think. We got ruff neighborhoods and people struggling to survive like any other metro area dont get caught slippen happens all the time

Well after taking a lot of time to look into it I 100% agree with this post. I will most likely stay here for non-canna related reasons.

But I pretty much decided if I do make the jump to Co I will just grow my own for personal use. Networking with new friends, trading genetics, chucking new crosses, and trading buds will be the plan. Maybe drop a few OZs per month to cut down on the grocery bills and such. Other then that smoke a shitton, hook up the needy with meds, and have a great time not stressing over selling my harvest.

$125-@100 per OZ fuck... The most expensive herb I saw out that way recently was $180 or so. Average seemed like $140. Pretty rough market. But for a hobby grower that knows their shit it is fucking awesome! Most of my friends there are taking this rout.

For me working in the canna industry would just be a bonus if it ended up happening.

The main reason I was interested in Co was the cool people and I really enjoy the area I visit. I remember being there the second time and thinking dang I need to be here more often! But as luck would have it I should be out that way once a month or so for continuing education in my regular job.

I can't wait for public smoking areas to be made legal. Will be awesome to drop by an Adam style coffee shop. Take some dabbs!!!

CoCoSativas

Well after taking a lot of time to look into it I 100% agree with this post. I will most likely stay here for non-canna related reasons.

But I pretty much decided if I do make the jump to Co I will just grow my own for personal use. Networking with new friends, trading genetics, chucking new crosses, and trading buds will be the plan. Maybe drop a few OZs per month to cut down on the grocery bills and such. Other then that smoke a shitton, hook up the needy with meds, and have a great time not stressing over selling my harvest.

$125-@100 per OZ fuck... The most expensive herb I saw out that way recently was $180 or so. Average seemed like $140. Pretty rough market. But for a hobby grower that knows their shit it is fucking awesome! Most of my friends there are taking this rout.

For me working in the canna industry would just be a bonus if it ended up happening.

The main reason I was interested in Co was the cool people and I really enjoy the area I visit. I remember being there the second time and thinking dang I need to be here more often! But as luck would have it I should be out that way once a month or so for continuing education in my regular job.

I can't wait for public smoking areas to be made legal. Will be awesome to drop by an Adam style coffee shop. Take some dabbs!!!

I live along the Rockies, though north of Colorado. It's pretty.

Sounds like fun with all the new legal business down there.

SolarPlex

Just saw this thread. I have been working in the industry for the past 3 years, medical and rec.

If you are serious on moving out here that's fine. There are definitely a lot of weed tards here now but if you have the right state of mind and just want the freedom that's cool too you will fit right in. Have no expectations of getting a higher paying job. In all seriousness, McDonalds pays more than a entry level job in the weed industry. My first job I was making 10/hr trimming. I have been a budtender, a grower and worked in a lab producing CO2 concentrates, but I am happy now where I am at trimming again, except this time my contacts are strong and I have been trimming for $18-20 hour since April and trim 20-40 hours a week depending on what people need while I work on my grow, schooling and future endeavors.

First things first though, you need a badge if you want legit work. You have to have an address here for that, if you have any friends or family out here it will help speed up that process because you can use their address for a support badge and essentially get your MED badge. As mentioned before if you have any drug convictions ever, forget about it. If you have any government debt, including student loans, forget about it until you pay them off. I even worry about getting a renewal on my badge because of some student loan debt that accumulated within the last year.

Much luck to your future endeavors.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just saw this thread. I have been working in the industry for the past 3 years, medical and rec.

If you are serious on moving out here that's fine. There are definitely a lot of weed tards here now but if you have the right state of mind and just want the freedom that's cool too you will fit right in. Have no expectations of getting a higher paying job. In all seriousness, McDonalds pays more than a entry level job in the weed industry. My first job I was making 10/hr trimming. I have been a budtender, a grower and worked in a lab producing CO2 concentrates, but I am happy now where I am at trimming again, except this time my contacts are strong and I have been trimming for $18-20 hour since April and trim 20-40 hours a week depending on what people need while I work on my grow, schooling and future endeavors.

First things first though, you need a badge if you want legit work. You have to have an address here for that, if you have any friends or family out here it will help speed up that process because you can use their address for a support badge and essentially get your MED badge. As mentioned before if you have any drug convictions ever, forget about it. If you have any government debt, including student loans, forget about it until you pay them off. I even worry about getting a renewal on my badge because of some student loan debt that accumulated within the last year.

Much luck to your future endeavors.

Great advice!! I've not seen many folks in SO CO "make a killing" in the industry.

I've seen 2 dispensaries go under because they thought they didn't have to follow the rules.

Anymore, your financial record is something employer's look at seeing if you are a sound (favorable) employee.

Latest posts

Latest posts