What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Moved to 20 gallons and still...

Azeotrope

Veteran
Wow. Interesting, do you cut small chunks of the celery or whole, or do you blend it. I have some red worms in the pots, might have to try this soon.
I do chop it up along with organic coriander/cilantro. Then it goes under the straw/hay mulch. The worms love it.

Week 4

I do chop it up along with organic coriander/cilantro. Then it goes under the straw/hay mulch. The worms love it.
I tried it last grow and it disappeared like you said. I didn't think about grabbing organic veggies which makes total sense.

I almost forgot about this thread, I've been going with the premise (on this current grow) that I've might have been underfeeding this whole time. We've been feeding very near to recommended dosages with the Gaia Green amendments and have been more conscience to stay on top of the calcium feeding. Since my tap water is hard I'm understanding that the calcium in the water is magnetically attracted or bonding to the soil so the plant hasn't really been getting enough of it. I'm going with a once every 3 week regimen of amino acids feedings. The aminos have a stronger pull than the soil and the calcium then bounds with them as they are uptaken by the plant. I've been seeing some promising results for it. We are just entering the flowering stage, the real flowering stage when the plant concentrates heavily in flower production. It doesn't do that during the stretch as much. So, here we are right in the middle of it when I usually see problems. The proof is in the pudding as they say, so we'll soon find out.
PXL_20240216_020632231.jpg
PXL_20240216_021848773.PORTRAIT.jpg

Terpyterps

To me that seems to be issue with PH and that might come from imbalance with your microbial life in the soil. Because usually if you have amended your soil well enough it is difficult to run out of nutrients in the soil so it makes me think that there is problems with the plants ability to use those nutrients and having organic soil you are relying upon them braking down them to your plants. So either you are lacking microbes, have imbalance of them or your environment is not good enough for them to thrive. How is the temperature of your soil and tent? Might be too low also in the soil when they slow down too much to keep up with the plants. You should introduce microbes throughout your grow cycle to your soil. Or another thing that might also have effects on microbes is too dry soil, it’s better to give more times and less than more and less often water. Also having so big pots you should have LABs introduced there because deeper you get less air you have there and more likely you get anaerobic condition there.

You should be feeding microbes rather than the plants, this is the organic mindset.

Week 4

To me that seems to be issue with PH and that might come from imbalance with your microbial life in the soil. Because usually if you have amended your soil well enough it is difficult to run out of nutrients in the soil so it makes me think that there is problems with the plants ability to use those nutrients and having organic soil you are relying upon them braking down them to your plants. So either you are lacking microbes, have imbalance of them or your environment is not good enough for them to thrive. How is the temperature of your soil and tent? Might be too low also in the soil when they slow down too much to keep up with the plants. You should introduce microbes throughout your grow cycle to your soil. Or another thing that might also have effects on microbes is too dry soil, it’s better to give more times and less than more and less often water. Also having so big pots you should have LABs introduced there because deeper you get less air you have there and more likely you get anaerobic condition there.

You should be feeding microbes rather than the plants, this is the organic mindset.
I've dialed that down too. With the help with blumats, to keep a constant moisture bed for the microbes to stay active like you said here. And the microbes and fungi feed off of the dry amendments don't they? Break them down to a usable nutrient? When you add dry amendment's it's not feeding the plants, its feeding the soil.. you are right, maybe my verbiage above sounded like I was feeding the plants directly, but no you are right and I agree, feed the soil. Also have some really good compost in there at the top, came with beneficial insects that have gone to town on the fungus gnats. Life is good right now.
PXL_20240118_034840262.jpg
PXL_20240118_040257488.jpg
PXL_20240128_014710503.jpg

The two diffrent compost piles were photographed just before spreading them out evenly on the top and worked into the top soil.

Terpyterps

But also not to forget how important calcium is in flower and specially in later flower stage. It is more important than having pk boosters. PK boosters are highly overrated and if you don’t have right levels of calcium it is pointless. But all these things plays down to the correct PH range.

Terpyterps

Looks good! Yes it is exactly what they do for the nutrients, there might some amount readily available for the plants but mostly they are broken down by the microbes. I do use Green Sensation from Plagron and it is salt based but I do add it with 1/2 dose and it is fine with microbes and plants make visible changes for sure, but I do add also same time BioBizz calmag to balance the extra PK it delivers and also Mono-Silicic Acid. It has been very successful boost for flowering phase on top of the dry amendments I introduced bit before they start flowering, mine has 4-9-9 for bloom. For autos I use 7–2-4 and 4-9-9 50:50 ratio at the beginning and when they are around 3-4th week I add that 4-9-9. So far they are doing very well and no problems. Just giving water and microbes and food to them, Fish Mix example.

Terpyterps

Like your setup, they look much better this time. Blumat is something I should also invest in the future, would make watering bit easier. Next run will be checking some phenos out of few cultivars. Got Orange Groovye BX, Golden Pussy and Sunset Paradise vegging in same tent with my autos. Figured that might as well grow few autos while waiting for those others to veg out enough to take some cuttings out and save best out of the bunch for future when flowered first.

Week 4

Like your setup, they look much better this time. Blumat is something I should also invest in the future, would make watering bit easier. Next run will be checking some phenos out of few cultivars. Got Orange Groovye BX, Golden Pussy and Sunset Paradise vegging in same tent with my autos. Figured that might as well grow few autos while waiting for those others to veg out enough to take some cuttings out and save best out of the bunch for future when flowered first.
Golden Pussy.... nice. I have no clue what to pop next. I'm currently in the middle of this run (Skunk #1) and that will take me till end of April (between this tent and it's cuttings in the other one). The indoor tent will (hopefully, seeds won't pop) be running a Strawberry Gorilla.
Since I've gone to 20 gallon pots my plants have doubled in size, I'm not kidding, these things are like mini trees in my tent. Three pots is really pushing it, I could just do two and it'd still fill the 4x4.

Terpyterps

Running one Strawberry Gorilla at the moment also. I have one out of five Golden Pussies expressing that deformity that comes apparently all the way from Mendobreath. It doesn’t mean anything apparently but it produces mutant leaves and some irregular growth. It is skipping growth sites from one side to another too, gotta try it though, might be fire.

Bio boy

use RO only and if you have a mineral filter REMOVE IT !! RO is 6ph the filter mineraliser makes it 8 as they have an alkalizer on them, fucked me up for agis till i saw, guessing minerals wil be neeeded but there set for human and high alk,
put a T in the junction and you can divert it before the mineral

Week 4

So oddly, only one of my pots carried over the same traits (in the 4x4), exact same thing as before. I'm gonna test the soil in the problem pot to get a clearer picture. I'm obviously adding to much of something. Both the same plant.

The pot on the right looks like Godzilla breathed all over it. The pot on the left nearly looks picture perfect. (Week 8)

Felt I was underfeeding the right pot, so I added Kelp Meal and Gypsum (with some compost) about 3 weeks ago, didn't help. Got worse, and the soils pH always at the 6.5 to 6.8 range throughout the grow. The left pot never showed any signs of toxicity/deficiency so I just used water and regular top dressing (Gaia Green) every three weeks or so.
PXL_20240322_032913486.jpg

Last edited: