What's new

Move to Calif to grow medical bud *business idea* is it legit?

turbolaser4528

Veteran
lol i like this thread. I am thinking of doing something similar. IT IS MY DREAM to grow for a living and not have to worry about getting arrested for doing what I love, what I'm best at, and what I believe in.

Guys, were fucking changing the world! One ignorant mind at a time, one meal at a time, one thought at a time, we are making the world a better place. We continue to grow despite the risk of spending years in a cage. This tells me that we are all greedy fucks who don't want to work regular jobs OR we really believe in this fucking magical plant (tree of life/knowledge if you will) and what it stands for in every way. So we stick our middle finger to the man and grow our herb, and one nug at a time we impact our enviroment in such a wonderfully pleasant and positive way.

I just wanted to notice this and commend my fellow and fallen soldiers in this spiritual war we are in the midst of. May the wind always be at your back, and the sun upon your face. Keep fighting the good fight brothers, we will win the war I promise you that. God bless :smoweed:

Bro, makedadproud doesnt sell pot, i sell high grade chronic, and i wouldnt touch (and would turn my nose up and snub) cfl flowers. pffft as if

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
t
I am sure you can find some down on his luck loser at the bus stop though with $5 to buy a nickle bag of your weakly shwag.

picture.php

inferior tools + inferior fools = inferior results

dont be stupid....

Well put.... That pic of the schwag makes me gag. I remember smoking a half oz. of that a week for $40-60. I was woefully uneducated and my lungs feel soooo much better now. :D

Thanks CW/OG/ICMAG!

Z

Zeinth

back on topic!

back on topic!

well....hmmm..:joint:

o.k..lets see..real cheap..right?

socal..is more expensive than norcal.

but..theres more coops in socal.

get a truck/with a cabover..then get to cali.

get a cali i.d..or drivers lic..via p.o.box...unless you got some cash for that repo mobile home..somwhere.,unless your credit is screwed..then youll have to rent. ouch!

alright got the cali i.d..then go to the pot doc..100 to 200 bucks.

i not against dumpster diving and hanging out at metal scap yards till your solid..watch your back tho..

start out on weedtracker or cannashops and get your genetic..skywalker fire og or boggelgum.pre98 bubba..master/og kush.

coco/perlite..black magic soil..sunshine mix..whatever..veg under some flouros till you get atleast afoot..then find a hps..600 or better..more the merrier.

nutes..well gh..oragnic whatever..but you get legal hang out on the sites an learn..shit i saw target an tuesday morning hiring..ya.8 an hour sucks but start small..claw your way through the haters..

dial in your shit..kiss the coop owners asses!!

most wont pay more than 180 a zip for og..but thats what they always say..never know.

good luck with your cali mission...cuz i am gonna head out to new mexico..were 1 patient can grow 82 plants. thanks bill richardson.

houses are 13,000 in new mexico so iam getting rosetta stone for my spanish bros...

yup..gonna bring my dabney bluberry x chem-d x sfv-og with me..

shit smells like a baby shit blueberry pancakes after a diesel fuel shooter.

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
NM has lovely weather in some of the higher elevations. But I'll bet housing isn't as cheap there either as it is in the totally uninhabitable areas.

Houses get cheaper the closer to the border you get. Lots of drug war deaths and kidnappings. :( Don't bring your wife or daughter.

RockyMountainHi

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with th
Veteran
but what the fuck do I know? I am just the verified bonafide asshole I always am..... no shame and no hiding.

Damn Grey,,,,, we may not have met in this life, but we coulda been brudda's

Shine on friend

houses are 13,000 in new mexico so iam getting rosetta stone for my spanish bros...

What ya save on the morguage can help pay the A/C bill cause that ain't going to be cheap. On the other hand - maybe investigate what it takes to build something that is enery efficent for that location. Excavating and building under ground could overcome a world of issues. Bad point is the laws are not condusive to cultivation. This too will change, but could be a deal breaker for the near future -

Or I hear they have some great deals on missle silos - and baby - you could grow trees in there! lol.
And security wise - well - it's WISE! Nobody gets in or out!!!!! LOL I hear you knockin - but you can't come in!!!!

I just went and did a search - you can buy your very own silo for 300 K - - I dunno if they left the generators but HOLY BATFUCK ROBIN!!!

There aare good points - and bad points about anywhere.

I'm not so sure succes is all in location, location, location.... sometimes the greenest grass, isn't over there,, or is that meanest grass??????

nope... move to columbia and grow some coke, some coffee, some tea some chocolate, and ill trade you...
nafta in effect
more then 2/3 of you will be dead in a few years anyway

Feijao

Absolutely not true. There are many reasons to not move to the borders of NM or TX but being kidnapped or killed by the cartels would be last on my list. Now Juarez is a totally different story. Most of all the kidnappings or murders that happen in Phoenix, Tucson, Las Cruces, El Paso,.... have to do with people involved with the cartels on the other side. There is not much violence with everyday folks in these parts.

paulywalnuts

I have always wanted to live in California, and it appears that it's only a matter of months before it becomes legal in the state.

So here's my simple business idea.

Move to California, rent apt from friend on the beach, get med card, grow my limit, what I don't need, sell back to dispensary.

With just some simple math, on a perpetual harvest, I could make on the high end 65 to 75K a year on the very high end, or as low as $45K a year, depending on the going price.

Either way, it's only me, so it would be a comfortable living.

If and when it does become legal, I'd already be established, and could sell according to the new law. Who knows what will happen to the market, but again I don't see making anything less than 40K a year.

What say you IC?

Do you have any experience growing? If not, you will definitely need a job to keep you afloat unless you have significant savings. Unless you have a specific skill (other than growing) or a job already lined up it is not very likely that you will find a job (we have a VERY high unemployment rate in CA).

Outside of that, let's say that you do have experience growing. Depending on what part of Cali you plan on setting up shop (I am assuming SoCal since you refer to the beach) you probably want to adhere to the plant limits of your city/county. If you are in LA and your only allowed to grow 6 flowering plants at a time. The likelihood of being able to support yourself is pretty close to zero with those numbers, let alone the 45k you are referring to as a low-ball guestimate.

As for clubs, if you have A+ quality product there will always be someone willing to pick up from you. Unfortunately, if you don't have any experience or limited experience growing then the learning curve from when you first get to Cali and start producing A+ quality buds will be steep. How will you support yourself in the meantime? If you have no equipment, you will need a few grand at the VERY least to produce.

I do not say this to discourage your dreams but realistically, the game has changed quite a bit and not necessarily in your favor. If this was even a few years ago I would say go for it because jobs weren't as scarce then and the prices one might fetch were much higher back then. So back a few years ago, you could easily pick up some b.s. office gig to help support yourself. Times have changed now so unless you already know what you are doing and have the money to back it up, I would have to tell you to Reconsider! Read some litera - ture on the subject You sure? Fuck it You know we got your back like chiroprac - tic If that bitch do you dirty we'll wipe her ass out as in detergent Now hurry hurry, go on to the altar I know you aint a pimp but pimp remember what I taught ya Keep your heart 3 stacks, keep your heart Aye, keep your heart 3 stacks, keep your heart Man, these girls is smart, 3 stacks, these girls is smart Play your part Play your part

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Wherever there is an rv park or large parking lot
........ you'll find all the spaces full. (or nearly so)

There have been a HUGE number of people that have gone homeless in California and a lot of them have ended up in RV's and at houses of relatives. House values may have dropped but the (Used) RV market is booming. :D

T5s have a place in my garden, what do you root your clones under? ;) They are also good for growing up clones for a while, too! I'm not a professional grower. I'm a med grower who started doing it because of the outrageous prices of medication. If I have excess, I might give some to one of my co-ops or collectives, but not for any profit. Profit = sale, which is a no-no any way you cut it. Any money that changes hands is reimbursement for time and expenses incurred in the process of growing.

Up until recently, I was gainfully employed, which allowed me to invest in a small, personal grow (a 600W HPS, 4xT5 for clones, and a 400W CMH for veg). I got a tent, some nutrients (the wrong ones), some soil, and gave it a go. I figured a good goal would be .25 gm/watt, so I was aiming for a qp. I started off with one clone, grew it until I figured out what I was doing (pH is important, who knew? :-D), and then added a couple more. The next week, I added some more. And now I had a grow (with not enough room, btw). Every few days I was learning a new concern that I neglected to address because I didn't know it was there. By the time I'm done (I'm drying the last plant from the first harvest now), I'm sure my first grow will have costed a couple or three gs. They are mostly startup costs plus electricity, and a couple of toys that are nice-to-haves but not strictly necessary (like the hanna pH meter and turboklone). The electricity rates here are RIDICULOUS. This is a question that I neglected to plan for.

The point of that story was this - if you are thinking about growing as a business, and the entirety of your plan is to come out here and move to a nice place of some sort and get your medical card, you are going to be disappointed. You are going to be so driven by profit (or pressed for cash) that you will probably end up producing bad marijuana, which is not what the medical community is looking for or needs. Treat it like a hobby and anything you grow will be a bonus for you. It is so much more rewarding when you do it as a hobby and a way to save money on medication because you don't stress, and there's no pressure or disappointment in yield because it's all gravy.

If you don't have a plan that accounts for the issues you are likely to encounter, you are going to fail. It's just that simple. If you come out here and rent a place without researching the city, finding out how much the electricity, and water cost, if the place has A/C, how much load the circuits can handle, where you're going to grow, what the water source will be (it's incredibly varied - some areas have 40 ppm water, 10 miles away it's 350ppm), what you're going to do to buy equipment, etc etc etc., you are going to end up scrambling to pay your huge electrical bill or worse. If you've never grown before or have only done a small grow using CFLs, it's not realistic to expect that you can just move here with a few hundred bucks and no job and make enough money to pay for even the electricity to get out your first grow, let alone all of the grow-related items that you'll need to buy. It's a serious investment to get a large grow going, or even a decent small medical grow.

Good luck whatever you decide, but don't expect it to be a gold rush.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I have always wanted to live in California, and it appears that it's only a matter of months before it becomes legal in the state.

So here's my simple business idea.

Move to California, rent apt from friend on the beach, get med card, grow my limit, what I don't need, sell back to dispensary.

With just some simple math, on a perpetual harvest, I could make on the high end 65 to 75K a year on the very high end, or as low as $45K a year, depending on the going price.

Either way, it's only me, so it would be a comfortable living.

If and when it does become legal, I'd already be established, and could sell according to the new law. Who knows what will happen to the market, but again I don't see making anything less than 40K a year.

What say you IC?
Given your business model and projected expenses to realize your dream, I would suggest that you think about Bombay Beach on the shores of the Salton Sea.

Cheap rentals (because of the shifting water levels), the saltiest water on the face of the earth (literally) and lots of warm weather.

Once you've gotten past the stench from the Salton Sea, you're home free to acquite the economic freedom that you're searching for!

HTH!

CC

EDIT: Here's a link to a photo of Bombay Beach on the shores of the Salton Sea!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts