What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mouth full of tar/res when I smoke? WTF!

eexpee

When I smoke my own homegrown bush weed in a bong, I have been getting this really bad taste in my mouth after I smoke sometimes - I thought it was the lighter gas. But this time I noticed when I spat there were little pieces of dark green/blackish tar or resin clumps in my mouth that taste and smell like, well, res pretty much, and it's sticky, so its not dissolving in my saliva.

I duno what it is whether I have cured them wrong and now they have gone bad? They have been in the jars for about 4 months now, burping and all that jazz. All of my jars give you a good cough, sometimes that tastes pretty bad, which im finding now is probably res in my mouth. Any other ideas what it could be?

:tiphat:

eexpee

Well, actually no...
True, the one I am currently smoking from is just a crappy plastic bottle with a piece of hose in it, but it's new, and cleanish with a proper cone. It happens with my relatively clean glassy too. I will clean them both, give it another try and see, but I don't think it's the bong...

THC123

Veteran
They have been in the jars for about 4 months now, burping and all that jazz. All of my jars give you a good cough, sometimes that tastes pretty bad, which im finding now is probably res in my mouth. Any other ideas what it could be?

this is caused by poor curing methods

it happened to me all the time , that's why i quit curing :D

i have just recently started trying it again with simon's method

But I still prefer weed that dried for 14 days without curing cuz i'm still pretty bad at curing

tetragrammaton

Veteran
No, it has nothing to do with curing. Even bland, or harsh tasting weed doesn't make resin/tar instantly shoot in your mouth. It builds up in your smoking device, and it's common or it to get in your mouth.It is also possible that you are somehow sucking the weed into your mouth, which can be bitter as well, and when coated with the smoke resin, will be what you describe.

eexpee

Yes, I would definitely agree with that THC. I'm certainly no curing expert, it was only my second try :)

I am hoping it is the smoking device. I changed the stem piece and I will try that soon. I don't think i'm pulling any weed into my mouth though, I don't pull my cones hard too early, it wastes too much. I find the bad taste most noticeable when I leave the lighter burning too long, which is why I thought it could be something to do with the taste of the gas. Hmm...

Has anyone tried taking a cone and breathing back into a tissue pulled tight over your mouth? All of that is going into your lungs...yipee!

MadeInGermany

check your setup. I smoke weed with my glass pipe without using a screen and I don't have stuff flying into my mouth, ever.

The one thing I don't understand at all is that you are getting stuff into your mouth while smoking a bong. My bong filters larger particles and keeps them in the water.
Since your bong is self made, maybe you should check your design. Any pics?

2tall

Your pipe or bong is to small.
When you take a big hit in a small bong the smoke gets thick.
Happens to me with my bubblers I get resin on my lip.
Take smaller hits or get a bigger bong.

2tall is right. Thick smoke concentrated by a small opening causes the tar ti build up around that opening. Or mayber you need to use a screen if you aren't.

eexpee

Your pipe or bong is to small.
When you take a big hit in a small bong the smoke gets thick.
Happens to me with my bubblers I get resin on my lip.
Take smaller hits or get a bigger bong.
Ah ha! Yes! That and I also changed the stem piece. I smoked from a friends 14" bong, all glass, very smooth, kinda nice taste, tho not a lot of improvement there and best of all, a mouth tar-free!
Does that mean bigger bongs are generally healthier?

:dance013:

MrBomDiggitty

Veteran
now you can get a little ripped without getting little brown things in your mouth
picture.php

Big bongs aren't healthier. In fact, one could argue the bigger the bong, the bigger the chamber, larger amounts of smoke.

I think the best bong for any user is a 2-3ft bong. Get a gear bong, glass on glass, something with a percolator for sharp bubbles. If you like the deep, 'hits from the bong' sound, get a regular stem.

If you notice your mouth is getting a little dry or your throat, get a bong bowl to put on your bong. Its basically a bowl that has a little bit of water in the bottom, so the smoke hits that before the big water - looks kinda cool too. I'll post my piece here tomorrow to show ya.

Anyway, with a percolator there is no way you'll ever get tar in your mouth. With a 3ft bong there is no way you'll get anything in your mouth. And with a bong bowl you'll never get nasties in your mouth. Use all three for ultimate protection? :p

Or alternatively to all that is above, stop being a lazy pothead and clean your fuckin bong, it stinks man.

ps. a quick way to clean your bowl stem is to stick a q-tip up there and wiggle it around. out comes a big poop log, but dont smoke that black shit, its not good for you.

eexpee

now you can get a little ripped without getting little brown things in your mouth
picture.php
:whee::biglaugh:

I always clean my bong actually. Hate the smell of a dirty bong as you walk past...yuck!

Think im going to get a bigger bong for sure, pity they are so damn expensive! AND -a bitch to clean