What's new

Mountain Grow in the European Alps

A

Alone

Sounds like a plan Dutch. Happy hiking. How good are the odds of you NOT being seen carrying materials up the mountain?
Im doing a 5 plant grow outside in the Berkshire mountains in the U.S. With all the deer, slugs, critters, bears, and powdery mildew around these parts a few things are necessary.
1) Grow them to 5 - 6 feet indoors over the winter to t/p outside on May 20th.
2) Fishing line at 3' and 6' around plants to repel deer.
3) A good sunny spot! I had a group of 3 get PM while a group of 5 didnt 20 feet away.
4) A good organic NEEM based bug spray.

Good Luck this year and I hope everything goes well.

Vermiculite is nice but it really can't compare to water crystals. Those are a real moisture reservoir. Product is nontoxic and safe to environment. Anyway ... good luck with the weather.

:tiphat:

That maybe true, but it is also far from organic! Thnx for your tip, but I'll stick to the Vermiculite this time around :)

Hi DutchGrower420, this grow looks promising. It would be interesting for me to compare tricome development of these strains at this high altitude vs. at lower altitudes, hope you'll look at this detail at the end. Best of luck with your grow ! Peace, HJ.

Will have to see how we do that? But will try to make some tricome pictures at the end of the grow :)

Sounds like a plan Dutch. Happy hiking. How good are the odds of you NOT being seen carrying materials up the mountain?
Im doing a 5 plant grow outside in the Berkshire mountains in the U.S. With all the deer, slugs, critters, bears, and powdery mildew around these parts a few things are necessary.
1) Grow them to 5 - 6 feet indoors over the winter to t/p outside on May 20th.
2) Fishing line at 3' and 6' around plants to repel deer.
3) A good sunny spot! I had a group of 3 get PM while a group of 5 didnt 20 feet away.
4) A good organic NEEM based bug spray.

Good Luck this year and I hope everything goes well.

Thnx for your lengthy reply bro!

Well the spots that I picked are located near a hiking path which leads to 2 mountain huts that have been empty for the past years. Therefore the hiking path isn't used that much anymore and there are hardly any people there.

I will do it plant for plant and put all the stuff I need in my backpack. Also I will always take my dog with me. That way I look like a hiker who's out with his dog.

1) Couldn't really do that. The chance of night frost is just too big here before June 1st. So could only start germinating round April 1st. And will put them outside when they are about 30 cm. Also don't see how I'm supposed to carry a plant almost my own size up a mountain without being seen?

2) Probably works fine, but is starting to look like a whole 'construction' then. Why not add chicken wire straight away :) I hope my resolution of dog and cat hair, the bar of soap and the anti deer spray will do the trick.

3) Yup, fully agree with you there. Sun equals big buds :)

4) Still have to find that. The store I was yesterday didn't carry what I was looking for unfortunately. But am wondering of the anti deer spray doesn't also repel the critters with all the cayenne pepper in it?

lob19

Veteran
That is looking really good. Very nice, natural approach. Good soil too. Great genetics.
I can't wait to see more. These ladies should be really beautiful in couple of months :)
Let's just hope for a sunny summer and reasonable amounts of rain :)

Good luck buddy, I will be watching you :D

[I need to spread some reputation before giving it to you :D ]

Oregonism

Mg,Fe,Al)3(Al,Si)4O10(OH)2·4H2O
Formula of Vermiculite.
I like the idea, but it certainly isn't organic.....

have you been brainwashed by what "organic" means? Vermiculite is an in-organic material. In my opinion....... "Has" the "ability" to surpass water crystals in "environmentability", doesn't make them so.

I don't mean to hi-jack.........adding in broken up corn cobs or sawdust, as they are composed of carbon, that would be organic, just sayin.....

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
got to see how this goes, looks like a great beginning. also sounds like good planning so far, the only thing i'd consider is adding some kind of simple fencing to protect from the deer. i prepped some holes a few weeks ago and when i wanted to plant my seedlings, i found some of the holes had been got at by some animal trying to dig it up. wasn't the end of the world, but still annoying, lol. i think it was the bone meal in my mix that was interesting. i hope now that the plants are in and the fences are up they don't try dig them up from the side, lol.

Mg,Fe,Al)3(Al,Si)4O10(OH)2·4H2O
Formula of Vermiculite.
I like the idea, but it certainly isn't organic.....

have you been brainwashed by what "organic" means? Vermiculite is an in-organic material. In my opinion....... "Has" the "ability" to surpass water crystals in "environmentability", doesn't make them so.

I don't mean to hi-jack.........adding in broken up corn cobs or sawdust, as they are composed of carbon, that would be organic, just sayin.....
Never said it was organic, said it can be used in organic gardening!

uc1

Wish you all the best with the Alps. I've tried it once too but it's quite difficult. In lower areas caring about the plants is much less needed. the biggest enemy is definitely the frost or the cold climate especially in the nights of autumn. so i wish you lot of success!

Servas!

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
Nice one.
I´m gonna grab a seat on the back and enjoy the show.
All the best for 2012.

Double F

post some pics of those nice mountain alps! im also growing some at high elevation, im at about 2800 feet i think.

anyways the cool thing about mountains is that you can rig up a reservoir uphill like 100 yards or so, get some blumats and poly line, and bury a line down to each plant. that way you can just go refill the reservoir every few weeks and you dont need to go down to the plants.

After weeks and weeks of nothing but heavy rainfall the weather had finally cleared up for a few days. So today I decided to make a checkup round to all my 3 spots. Because of the nasty weather I've only planted the last 4 a little over a week ago.

Well... what can I say? I would be lying if I was 100% satisfied with how it is going. There is ample room for improvement. This is only a valuable blog if I tell you guys the truth. And not make it sound better than it is.

Spot 1:

This one is the earliest planted and is actually going pretty okay. These are at the highest altitude (5500ft) and have been planted in a time where it was hot in the day and light rain at night. They had the best start of all 3 spots. There are some brown leafs and some insect and / or deer damage, but overall they have grown to a height of about 70cm and are getting nice and bushy. The funny thing is that the brown leafs also occur on the (normal) plant that is growing next to them. But what it is? Personally I think it's the ridiculous amounts of mountain rain that has fallen over the last weeks. But the top leafs look fine, so I have good hope for them. Also, the LA Woman and the OG18 seem to have the hardest time. The Silver Bubble's are doing the best at this spot and the Sharksbreath and the Purple Wreck are also coping pretty okay it seems.