What's new

mother plant or clones from clones?

There no need to have big moms i keep mine in 1 gallon geo pot and smarties and just lst the 8 arms down and let her grow up take cuts off the arms that end up branching out and i have to waste 20 to 30 cuts every two or three weeks.. The moms stand maybe 13 inches tall and 9 inches wide..

sounds great if true, do you have pics or more info?

great topic! Many of us I don't think have room for keeping big mothers especially if you want variety and can't have a big room dedicated to that. SO I hope we all get the answers we are looking for.

Why do so many people think they need to keep a "big mother" in order to keep a plant alive in clone form? I keep mine in 7 Oz Dixie cups.

STUNKY

I don't believe in the drift .. Something has to happen to change the plant..in dwc i find that after a year the mothers base stem that goes into the hydroton always starts to shed and sometimes the inside stem will rot... I have keep some 2 years but not a good idea..Every 6 months is a good standard on redueing moms .. you just always wanna take a couple when replacing her and choose the best .. also don't wait till u think u need to replace her just do it while she looks healthy..

joe guy

CAM00091.jpg

CAM00092.jpg

CAM00093.jpg

CAM00097.jpg

sounds great if true, do you have pics or more info?

sure here is the whole set up moms and clones
I start with feady grow plugs ,move them to small plastic beer cups then to small nursery pots then in to one gallon smart pots or geo pots and when they are in the cups i do the super crop teck.(the slight pinch and twist) and by the time they are ready for the smarties i topp each new and existing top and when they grow out i lst the shit out of them taking each branch all the way to the edge and start wrapping in.. And waa bamm bonsi mom with more cuts than ill ever need.. Just feed them and flush them and they will stay healthy and vigorous.. Hope it made sence and helps few people out.. Any more questions shoot them ill do my best to answer you..

joe guy

There no need to have big moms i keep mine in 1 gallon geo pot and smarties and just lst the 8 arms down and let her grow up take cuts off the arms that end up branching out and i have to waste 20 to 30 cuts every two or three weeks.. The moms stand maybe 13 inches tall and 9 inches wide..

I stand corrected by the pix up there.. They stand at 13 tall from the bottom of the pot by13 inches wide she is due for a hair cut tho but theres some pix to prove its possible u dont need huge room just half a small closet...

I

Iffy-Caradoc

I was always under the impression that you can clone about 50 times before you experience degredation. Is this what you mean by genetic drift?
I know it happens a lot quicker with 'magic' mushrooms. I used to grow them from the spores and after about 7 or 8 generations, they began losing potency - rapidly.
But if you're organised & get 5 grows a year, that's still ten years worth! Clearly no-one's gonna keep a mother that long, so in practical terms I don't see it as a problem.

growhi

not sure if it was genetic drift but i had a northan light mother years ago when i first started growing , that after lots of abuse and countless generations of clones from clones . i.e no mother plant just taking clones from 3 week old clones then clones from those clones 3 weeks old ect ect , for about 2 years just stopped producing quality buds ! the clones would grow strange almost like it was reveging its self during flower, and the resin was down , and it just looked strange and unlike the plant it was !

i don't pretend to know what happened , but that's my first hand account

Applesauce

not sure if it was genetic drift but i had a northan light mother years ago when i first started growing , that after lots of abuse and countless generations of clones from clones . i.e no mother plant just taking clones from 3 week old clones then clones from those clones 3 weeks old ect ect , for about 2 years just stopped producing quality buds ! the clones would grow strange almost like it was reveging its self during flower, and the resin was down , and it just looked strange and unlike the plant it was !

i don't pretend to know what happened , but that's my first hand account

Maybe you just started burning it with different nutrients? It could have been 20 different reasons besides "genetic drift". Still have the same stuff (for the most part). After extended years I couldn't tell you the difference. Others have had some of the same selections for decades now. Shanti suggests bringing the mother outdoors every summer to revitalize it. I think it stays the same until you accidentally kill it.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
For those that reclone their moms every 6 months ..... what do you do with the original mom ? flower it or cull it ??? asking cuz i've read that moms DON'T produce well when flowered .

This is my mom room (except for the 4 in the front ) I have 4 in the back that need to be recloned cuz they're just getting to big & they're almost a year old now . do i flower them out or cull them is my dilema .

DSC01876.jpg

STUNKY

CULL THEM THEY DON'T WORK GOOD WHEN THEY R THAT OLD.well cull them after u get good rooted clones.let the four other ones have the whole budding area..

M

MrSterling

Fuck it, flower them out man, shit yield or not you've already put in the veg time. And the awesome thing is when you flower them out you'll have first hand experience on how moms yield when flowered. It's worth going down a path like that for actual knowledge.

L

LEX-UK

Pot mother up into bigger pot of fresh soil and flower her out.. i bet you'll be impressed.. everytime ive done it they have always produced very well, if were talking 6month old.. i like to exchange mums with clones every 6 month to.

I

Iffy-Caradoc

Flowering Mommas

Flowering Mommas

Fuck it, flower them out man, shit yield or not you've already put in the veg time. And the awesome thing is when you flower them out you'll have first hand experience on how moms yield when flowered. It's worth going down a path like that for actual knowledge.

Bang on Mr Sterling! Totally with you on gaining the personal experience.
Stay safe :tiphat:

M

MrSterling

The more hands on experience you have the more the information at your disposal will make sense. There's a lot of incorrect advice given as common knowledge in cannabis growing. Stuff that makes a regular gardener and farmer scratch their head. Hands-on experiments dispel these myths and can only benefit you and the community as a whole if you share your findings.

joe guy

Said it before along with many others.. If we didnt experment we would still be growing and harvesting shitty herbs like they did in the 60s and 70s.. Take a shit load of cuts, uppot and make sure to trim ur root mass down, add new soil veg another week or 2, trick is to wait till ur gettn new growth and flip that bitch.. Thake a buch of cuts to shorten her down to the rest that ur gona be flippin that way u get an even canopy and dont have to worry about that odd ball plant being way taller and shading ur other babies... Good luck bro with what ever u end up doin...

+edit+ just look at my sig.. That is words to live by my friend... It has to happen once to never happen again... Just dont stop after ur first time trying somthing, hell anything try it 3 or 4 times b4 you decide you dont like it... Well in most cases anyways... But make sure to either veg ur babies longer or cut her down to her daughters size b4 u flip or ur gona have height problems..edit+

Last edited:
I

Iffy-Caradoc

Cloning.

Cloning.

ive been trying to find out weather it makes any differant if i keep a mother and take cuts from her just just keep taking cut from cut from cut and so on make any difference to the long term quality of the product say 5 6 crops down the line:chin:any input on this?
cheers

Hi Guy Fawkes, check out the post on Monster Cropping. It might give you another option!
Stay safe :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts