What's new

Mossy's BW: Use the feminine male(s)???

M

mossy

there are multiple alleles controling sexuality or should I say expression of sexuality in canna....not just the x and y, but other genes are at work. I believe that the preflowers are an indication of whether the plant is x or y, but the infloresence is not just programed by the x or y chromosome, but also hormones play a role in the structure of the flower...hence, the ladyboys are gentically male, as the preflowers were staminate, But the hormones controling the morphology of the infloresence are reversed, and forcing the production of pistillate flowers, on masculine architecture.

So, my speculation is indeed the pollen from these individuals may have some value...the trait of production of feminizing hormones is of value, and because it is a separate allele, it can be selected for...additional pressure for female flowers is a good thing to me. However, I am only gonna play with these guys outdoors, and isolated from my other breeding projects.
Lovely..:good:

Also that these dark girls often do not seem to yield as well as their greener siblings. This dark color I think has to do with the photo synthetic capacity or the photosynthetic process.

Yup..99% of the time...on ALL plants.....
Especially if you have leaf colour as well as flower/bud...:good:

ChynaRyder....
Lil' freak show
That is the pop-corn bud..That is the one I got and had to destroy.
Wowsers...
I'm gonna get to see what it Would have done. :tiphat:
Great.

Oh, I forgot to add, one of the freaks is going black
One of the BW...?
Leaf..bud or both..
You should get black in the PC too..

Cheers guys..I'm Lovin it...:bow:

Flying Goat

What an amazing thread, gents! I should have been lurking with you, because I experienced the same thing with my Pehkuruders. I had 2 very nice males out of the bunch, but the males hermied, producing no pollen (hollow sacs), yet forming pistils & calyxes (without seeds) & heavy crystals. Weird, eh?

Of the females, after my attempt to pollinate was unsuccessful, began producing male flowers among the top buds. I got some seed of these. Two females were crossed, WW and Blue Mystic/Ice, respectively, with seeds only on 2 lower branches, tops unseeded. Due to the male flowers, I ended up with about 10 fat, ripe, presumably female(?) beans.

I noted that the females which put out the male flowers were of the tall, columnar pheno, rather than the bushy pheno. Have had 2 bushy girls, both are over 60 days & were pollinated with Blue Mystic/Ice & White Widow, respectively, on 2 lower branches of each. Altho their tops remained unpollinated, they did not throw male flowers.

Just for shits & giggles, I tried smoking the dried male "budlets." A no-go.

It will be very interesting to see what the F1s produce...

Thanks for the heads-up on this thread, Arctic!

Cheers, boys.

:tiphat:

C

ChynaRyder

Greetings, Flying Goat...I hope your garden grows well :tiphat:

I am currently smoking the girl that is bearing the seeds from the herm...Gonna dry em down in the sun a bit, and let em rip. Once I get an idea of quantity, I may unleash them all...good numbers to see what happens...I will be enjoying the seed bearing lower buds tonight and tomorrow...the results Should be interesting :ying:

Flying Goat

I just discovered my "female" WW x BW was sprouting nanners... :-(

Worse still, they're at every internode from 4 on up... even side branches.

Why, baby gurl? Why? You had no stress, no light leaks...

I wanted the pot she was in for another. And so, she was killed... Pretty thing, too, dang it!

But, hurray! There was another WW x BW waiting in the wings to be potted up & taken to the electric beach!

-------
Excuse my flights of fancy, folks. I'm under the tender loving influence of Pehkuruder & Blue Mystic/Ice. Nice combo, indeed, altho it takes a bit to come on...

Am also doing Casey Jones. Several are outdoors in dappled shade, vegging until my new lamp arrives... The "auto" room will have 5 ft. head space. My "boudoir chamber" has 8 ft. I wanna grow some trees & some teeny things! Then I wanna cross 'em!

Outta here... Feeling too good to spend a great day on the PC...

:wave:

Conclusion: Pehkuruder is good meds!

M

mossy

Hey ChynaRyder..how goes it...:tiphat:

Have you gone quiet from over-work..or the Quality of your Harvest.

Some of those Girls you have been pulling...woowsers...
I have been Green.

C

ChynaRyder

mossy;3578610 Have you gone quiet from over-work..or the Quality of your Harvest. [/quote said:
Over work m8...my girls take up what little spare time I have...season is peaking, and should ease in July...thank god.

Just wait till August...

So whats the final thought on this subject.....

I have a couple males, one of them has a few female pistils growing from the pollen clusters...very nice statured male, purple and pretty....Can I use this to breed with, or is it a no-no? Tough question.....HE/she is so pretty..I must add, It started out a full male and is now about 4 weeks in 12/12 and just has a few small pistils,....

What do ya'll say? PM me if you have an answer, for right now, Im going to seperate him from the rest of the plants....just incase......I just dont want to use his pollen if he will increase chances of herms... Please hit me up if you have any ideas on this subject...not alot of answers out there about this.....Thanks alot.

Ty_Kaycha

If I was going to have a hermie plant - I would rather have a male that changes to female, then a female that changes to male. So I would think you're safe. Now if it was pollen from a female that turned male - hell no!

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I had some lovely looking males, that put a couple of pistils out at the last minute.

I thought it was best practise not to use them, I didn't want to see any hermie traits show up in the next generation

SGS

In The Garden
Veteran
I had some lovely looking males, that put a couple of pistils out at the last minute.

I thought it was best practise not to use them, I didn't want to see any hermie traits show up in the next generation

Using any plant that shows any kind of hermi traits can lead to hermi traits later down in your breeding program. Weather you notice them early on or in later generations, it is just bad practice!!!

There are so many strains out there now showing hemri traits and being released anyway! This is hack breeding just for the fast $. The old breeding methods of making something actually stable before release is practiced only by a few breeders today. How sad, but there are still a few left :comfort:

SGS

guys, I culled the beautiful HE/SHE...It was infact a male that started pushing pistils out, but also continued to throw pollen, alot more pollen pods that femalepistils...But like the post above...It just scared me to much to try...I cut him/her down.... I had another male of the same strain, he wasn't purple, but the structure was better, and no female pistils...So he was used....These 2 males where Jackberry f3's....I BX one, and used some Male OG18 pollen on a beautiful purple female....should be a stellar cross....Im sure something of value can be found in that cross..pretty stoked....Thanks for the answers fellas...

Latest posts

Latest posts