What's new

Mosquito Dunks can be harmful

• Thread starter strain_searcher
  • Start date
S

strain_searcher

Think about this ????You add the mosquito dunks either mixed in water or sprinkle on soil. After the soil dries and your exhaust fan starts sucking up dried dust its bound to stick to your buds at some point.

It says right on the package do not inhale or digest .I just wanted to throw this out there because nobody has mentioned this. This means you can be smoking mosquito dunks in your weed or inhaling it if you are in the same room as your cab. I am not sure how this is considered safe.

Pirate138

the Revenant
Veteran
Well my understanding is that its organic and can be added to pool or gardens with no pernicious effects on either plants or humans. Im not 100% sure of course but i used em when i had a white fly infestation and they cured that and i smoked all the bud and im ok...i think heh.

Sleepy

Veteran
sounds ok to me??

sounds ok to me??

The mosquito eggs are very hardy and manage to live under almost all conditions.
When the water temperature is right, the eggs hatch and become mosquito larvae
which swim around eating and growing.
In about a week they become full-grown mosquitoes and fly out of the water looking for someone to bite.
Mosquito Dunks containing Bt israeliensis float on water and will keep on working for 30 days or longer and are completely biodegradable.
While floating, they slowly release a natural mosquito-killing biocontrol agent, Bti (Bacillus thuringienis israelensis) at the waters surface.
This agent gradually settles in the water where it is eaten by mosquito larvae growing there.
Bti (Bacillus thuringienis israelensis) is a bacterial toxin that infects and kills mosquito and black fly larvae.
It is safe and environmentally sound because it is highly selective, killing mosquitoes and black flies.
Bti contains no poisonous chemicals and is completely harmless to other living things! When Bti is eaten by the mosquito larvae, it damages the gut cells, eventually entering the body cavity. Once this happens, the larvae die.

i do know using the BTI (Gnatrol) reduces pH drastically!!

globel

mosquito dunks are bacteria. Infact some enzyme products use BTI in them witch is all that mosquito dunks are.

G

RussCargill said:
What is the point of using one of these while growing?
To control fungus gnats. Some will crumble up a dunk on top of their mix and when watered the BTI is activated.

E

EatShitake

Yeah BT is safe to use, it's a naturally occurring bacteria. It's safe to use with beneficial insects, too!

G

BTI is fugging fantastic for gnats. You probably don't need a whole dunk per pot though. I've never used a dunk but did use Gnatrol extensively when running hydro rockwool.

S

strain_searcher

Maybe this will drive the point home

Maybe this will drive the point home

On the label here are the warnings.

CAUTION HARMFUL IF INHALED OR SWALLOWED. AVOID CONTACT WITH SKIN
OR CLOTHING.

IF ON SKIN OR CLOTHING RINSE IMMEDIATELY AND CALL POSIN CONTROL CENTER.

IF INHALED MOVE PERSON TO FRESH AIR. IF PERSON IS NOT BREATHING CALL 911,CALL PIOSON CONTROL CENTER.

WHAT IM SAYING IS ONCE YOU APPLY TO YOUR SOIL , IT DRIES OUT AND BECOMES DUST.WHEN VENTING OUT THE EXHAUST IT WILL STICK TO YOUR BUDS AND CAN GET IN THE AIR WHERE YOU BREATHE IF YOUR CAB IS IN THE SAM ROOM AS YOU. IF THIS SOUNDS SAFE TO EVERYONE IM CONFUSED.IT WORKED ON MY GNATS BUT NEXT TIME IM GOING ANOTHER ROUTE. SMOKING BUDS WITH THIS STUFF ON THEM MAY NOT HAVE AN IMMEDIATE RESULT BUT IT CANT BE GOOD FOR YOUR LUNGS.

I MAY CONSIDER THIS FOR A RES ONLY SITUATION THOUGH.

Sleepy

Veteran
strain_searcher said:
I MAY CONSIDER THIS FOR A RES ONLY SITUATION THOUGH.

yeah, good call...

for soil/soiless i use the Gnatrol (liquid BTI)...

hmmm... :bashhead:

G

Whoa....What's in that mosquito dunk?
The same active ingredient in Gnatrol which is Bacillus Thuringiensis Israelensis.

"The toxicity of each Bt type is limited to one or two insect orders, and is nontoxic to vertebrates and many beneficial arthropods."
Humans are vertebrates.

What dust? What about all the other mold and fungus spores and airborne bacteria? If you're so concerned then vaporize you're herb. Is smoking herb really safe? Is smoking anything safe?

If you're familiar with product liability stuff you'd know manufacturers are OVERLY cautious sometimes to the point of being ridiculous. Have you ever read the MSDS for many common materials? If so you'd think everything is bad for you.

G

OK...here's an MSDS for mosquito dunks. Could someone please point out where the frikkin problem is???

Material Safety Data Sheet
Product Identity (Label Name): Mosquito Dunks
Section 1
Manufacturer’s Name: Summit Chemical Company
7657 Canton Center Drive
Baltimore, MD 21224
Telephone Number: (410) 282-5200 / (800) 227-8664
Date Prepared: 11/01/98
EPA No.: 6218-47
Section 2 Hazardous Ingredients/Identity Information
Hazardous Components OSHA PEL ACGIH TLV Other Limits
No hazardous or toxic components
Section 3 Physical Characteristics
Boiling Point: N/A
Melting Point: None
Specific Gravity: Less dense than water
Evaporation Rate: N/A
Vapor Pressure: N/A
Vapor Density: N/A
Solubility in Water: N/A
Appearance: Light brown donut – Shaped disks.
Odor: Essentially none
Section 4 Fire and Explosion Hazard Data
Flash Point: None
Method Used:
Flammable Limits:
L.E.L.: None
U.E.L.: None
Extinguishing Media: Water, conventional fire extinguishers
Special Fire Fighting Procedures: None
Unusual Fire and Explosion Hazards: None
Section 5 Reactivity Data
Stability: Stable: X Unstable:
Conditions to Avoid: Protect briquettes from moisture during storage
Incompatibility (Materials to Avoid): Alkaline conditions above pH 9 may denature
products
Hazardous Decomposition Products: None
Hazardous Polymerization: Will not occur
Conditions to Avoid: None
Section 6 Health Hazard Data
Route of Entry:
Inhalation: No
Skin: No
Ingestion: No
Health Hazards (Acute and Chronic): None known
Carcinogenicity:
NTP: No
IARC Monograph: No
OSHA Regulated: No
Signs and Symptoms of Exposure: No exposure hazard
Medical Conditions Generally Aggravated by Exposure: None known
Emergency and First Aid Procedures: None required
Section 7 Precautions for Safe Handling and Use
Steps to Be Taken in Case Material is Released or Spilled: Clean up with soap and water.
Waste Disposal Method: Conventional trash removal
and land fill disposal.
Precautions to be Taken in Handling and Storage: Store in a cool dry place
Other Precautions: Reseal opened containers after
partial use.

Section 8 Control Measure
Respiratory Protection (Specify Type): None needed
Ventilation:
Local Exhaust: None needed
Mechanical: None needed
Special:
Other:
Protective Clothing: None needed, wear normal work clothes
Gloves: None needed
Eye Protection: None needed
Clothes: None needed
Protective Clothing: No special practices needed.

Last edited:
be careful

be careful

I used mosquito dunks crushed up as a top dressing. About a teaspoon and a half on each plant raised my runoff ppms from 1200 in to about 2200 in. Just an FYI

Storm Crow

Veteran
It could just be the mosquito dunk folks doing a CYA, to avoid any possible lawsuits! People have gotten rather crazy about suing companies. Yet, guys, I would rather have someone bring up a possible hazard, than keep quiet, leading to a possible detriment to us all. Thank you, SS, for expressing your concerns, even though it appears that the dunks are harmless.

Granny

S

strain_searcher

Dunks are safe in water for animals and maybe a good alternative to kill mosquitos in 3rd world countries but I find it ridiculous for pot heads to assume that plants grown with this are not harmful to your lungs once the lungs have ingested this either through the plants or through an exhaust system that blows the dust particles all over the place. In all the grows I have ever done the one time I used mosquito dunks I found my lungs hurt a lot more. This is not Im right your wrong issue i was just trying to help. If you feel the label says that just for the fuck of it and to protect them from lawsuits that seems a little extreme. Just know there has been no testing on smoking plants that have had mosquito dunks used on them. So think what ever makes you sleep better at night. I stopped using them and have other organic means to greatly stop the gnat population.

Last edited:

Chaghatai

no matter what part of the body it ends up, (lungs, digestive tract, skin etc.) the active ingredient, Bt is not going to harm any mammal.

The delivery agent, the so-called "inert ingredients" that make up for 90% of the product are likely very benign, but the nessessary tests to prove it have not been paid for. Therefore the warning.

So it's going to be safe. It indicated for use in and around homes etc, but contraindicated in drinking water.

inflorescence

Veteran
Chaghatai said:
no matter what part of the body it ends up, (lungs, digestive tract, skin etc.) the active ingredient, Bt is not going to harm any mammal.

I think is physiologically impossible for bt to harm anything other than gnats or mosquitos.
I'm sure the folks that developed it spent a lot on R&D and like granny said it's a shame they have to make their lable so extreme when in reality their product is ridiculously precise.
If your lungs hurt, it's prolly from the inactive substrate that those "donuts" are made out of, feels almost like vermiculite to me.
That's why I use gnatrol. :bashhead:

Last edited: