What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Montana - Jury Mutiny

lokes

~Pollinator~
Veteran
What a great read. Surprised it was in Montana. This is a good one to put in your file, case you ever need it. ;-)
I'd feel pretty stupid if I was a juror after hearing this and being asked to convict for the same nonsense after other people stood up and had the balls to do what's right.

Totah Sam

Montana Jury Stages 'Mutiny' In Marijuana Case

Montana Jury Stages 'Mutiny' In Marijuana Case

A marijuana mutiny? According to a prosecutor in Missoula County, Mont., potential jurors made it clear they wouldn't convict anyone for possessing a few buds of pot. District Judge Dusty Deschamps found it impossible to seat a jury, and decided to work out a plea bargain for the man in question, Touray Cornell, instead.

The Missoulian reports:
"I thought, 'Geez, I don't know if we can seat a jury,' " said Deschamps, who called a recess. And he didn't. During the recess, Paul and defense attorney Martin Elison worked out a plea agreement. That was on Thursday. On Friday, Cornell entered an Alford plea, in which he didn't admit guilt. He briefly held his infant daughter in his manacled hands, and walked smiling out of the courtroom.

Rest of story found here

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
But if the person being charged demands a jury trial, I believe he is guaranteed it. A person can request a non-jury trial, but that is him/her waiving their right to a jury. There is a tactical reason to request that, but it is damn risky when it is only one person judging you.

Only with a Misdemeanor or Felony-- If it is an Infraction, as it is in Cali now...you no longer have that option--:tiphat:

Budsworth

Brilliant. This has to become the meme. Jury nullification. If you get on a jury for a marijuana related charge...no matter what it is, you vow to turn that room or hang it trying.

This could be infectious. It would be an actual chance for the people finally to say, "enough is enough", and NOT be conveniently ignored once an election is over.

Mutiny for (sic) the Bounty.

I know here in Colorado, it wouldn't be hard to get THAT 1 person on your jury that's going to hold out. I think the odds would be that it be difficult to find 12 people where at least one wouldn't be willing to say, "no".

So perhaps thats the way to start going. "Fuck you, take it to trial.".

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
They couldn't get a jury seated.... so the guy offers to plead guilty to a deal where he gets a 20 year sentence? Even if they suspend 19 years... why offer to spend a year in jail if they can't even find a jury to agree to hear your case?

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
hahaha this is awesome. if i got called to jury duty i would go undercover...say i was against marijuana use. sneak onto the jury because they think im some square. and then at last minute deliberations....bust out my marijuana activism and get everybody to vote NOT GUILTHY!

this is the best way to fight the system.......

Committing perjury isn't a good idea. No, they can't punish jurors for their verdicts but they can sure rake people who commit felonies during jury service over the coals.

Consider the case of Laura Kriho in Colorado:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2899/whats-the-story-on-jury-nullification

Yes, she was eventually cleared of wrongdoing after years of litigation and probably 10s and 10s of thousands of dollars of legal fees.

If you're willing to go through that for the cause I will give you a tip of the pin for being totally selfless. Just don't expect me to join in if perjury is required.

dustin27

Veteran
Anyone live in MT? They are trying to pass a bill canceling the medical marijuana act, I just found out.

G

guest8905

Interesting. On the one hand, it's cool that the jurors took a stand. OTOH, that dude is a POS and I wouldn't want him being my next door neighbor.

:laughing: yah you said it

I loved Montana when I was there, wouldnt mind going back

california recc's are good there and i beleive you can even cultivate with a ca recc

any montana peeps want to chime in?

EDIT_ LOOKS LIKE THE MMJ LAW IN MT WAS REPEALED THIS LAST WEEK AND IS OFF THE BOOKS COME NEXT WEEK. :(

StickKy :rasta:

Latest posts

Latest posts