What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

monoecious in Cannabis?

Kabookie

Empowered Super Kabookiewomen
:)Hey all,

I wasn't sure if this was the place to put this or not if it is ... sorry.

I'm not looking for the easy way around this but trying to find this information when you do not know where to look ... well, you get the gest. I feel that I am going nuts and I would really appreciate some help please. Anyone with some knowledge about this is most welcomed to provide your views ... please help me. I have some questions but any information on this would be helpful too.

Could someone please tell me about reverse sex in cannabis?

Like, is it possible for a plant to switch sex while it is a male and a week into bloom?

I have 18 plants growing alongside each other in the exact same room and one out of all these plants I have has decided that it does not want to be a male and is now developing female flowers (turning monoecious I believe.)

If a cannabis plant is showing both sexes at the same time while in bloom should this plant be removed before it has a chance to pollinate any females?

Is a monoecious cannabis plant prone to add this trait to its progeny?

Out of a total of 60 plants no others showed both sexes in the same plant except this one. It has some Hindu Kush from Sensi Seeds (guessing from seed) but is supposedly made up of mostly Granddaddy Purple - cut unknown.

I will trying all this week to get some really clean and hopefully good plant shots if anyone is interested.

Thank you very much ...

Peace and warm Blessings
Kabookie:blowbubbles:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
males will turn intersex and develop female flowers sometimes, most people would not use any intersex plants for making seeds.

Kabookie

:)Thank you very much and actually very fast too. This is exactly what I was thinking but some out there would have me think otherwise. I figure you might treat it as one would with a hermi.

I have never seen or made as of yet a true sex reversal and I thought that with cannabis this was something hard to do too?

I also thought that a reversal could sometimes hurt the DNA of the subject making it a little more susceptible to sexual identification problems that could be possibly passed onto its progeny? Is there not a special chemical that does the same job but with less possible damage to the plant/ plants. Thank you again!

Peace,
Kabookie :blowbubbles:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
there are various chemicals that are used to (usually) make female plants grow male flowers in order to make S1/ feminized seeds.

sexual expression in cannabis is far from fully understood, many think it is more complicated than a simple X and Y chromosome. there are a few threads in the breeder's lab about it.

im not enough of an expert to help you much further than that :)

VG

Kabookie

:)VG -

nope! You have help me out to where I feel good now! I thought for a moment I was going out of my mind. Ithink that some people are kidders and like to play with other peoples minds ... that's all. Beeders Lab ... hmmm, I didn't know - and thank you again!

Peace,

inquest

Posts from Tom Hill and Sam the Skunkman in the breeders lab would point ya in the right direction! :)

Kabookie

:)Hi Inquest,

thank you very much. Yeah, I've been roaming around to try and find all the spots that would have the info. I'm just worried that if I go around asking the questions everwhere that it might look bad. Hopefully, if I do go to the BL and raise the question it won't look as though I'm stirring the pot but just trying to salvage a project.

Thanks a bunch!

Peace,

inquest

Oh, you have a breeding project then? If that is the case definitely visit the BL! Lots of good info!! Though I will say the general concensus is not to breed with any intersex plant. Though personally I wouldn't rule them out as a side project to break a highly desirable trait from the intersex trait, should you find yourself in such as predicament.

Latest posts

Latest posts