What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

mold on top of soil

valk

I have 4 rooted clones in soil in my closet under a flouro lamp waiting to go in my box. The closet isn't too warm and I've noticed white mold on the surface of the soil on all of them. Can I just wash it or pull it off or are the plants already "contaminated"?

Farmer John

Born to be alive.
Veteran
Well I've noticed that most of the molds that appear in soil dont spread to plants and are easy to control, but better be safe than sorry, I guess you could use something that kills mold/bacteria before transplanting the clones to new soil/bigger pots...FJ

Growdoc

Cannabis Helper
Veteran
valk said:
I have 4 rooted clones in soil in my closet under a flouro lamp waiting to go in my box. The closet isn't too warm and I've noticed white mold on the surface of the soil on all of them. Can I just wash it or pull it off or are the plants already "contaminated"?

Just remove the top layer of soil and check the roots for brown spots...

They should then be transplanted into fresh soil and put under a HPS light...

And watch that over watering man, its a plant not a fish... :canabis:

ps...dont use anything harsh there is no need...

Growdoc

Dr. D

Veteran
Iv had that problem before John is right is doesnt usually spread to the plant, i find i get it wen theres no circlulation and the temps are quite cool....just do wot Growdoc said...peace

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
just use about 3 tsp of h202 in a gallon of water and water......

the white mold is usally when water is stagnet and sits on the soil to long and humidity is high......

but if its one mold you have you will soon get more if not taken care of

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
h2o2 will kill beneficial bacteria in the soil and should prolly not be used ... A light soil drench with neem oil will get rid of that mold.... does sound like another fan would help to move the air a bit more, I also take my fingers and periodically break the dirt up a bit on top of each pot . I find by doing this I dont seem to have probs with mold or soil nats. Also I treat my plants with neem about every two weeks during veg and at that time am sure to do a quick soil drench also :)

Growdoc

Cannabis Helper
Veteran
I repeat for all you out there... Do not use anything harsh it is not needed!!!

And dont put water on mold!!!

Growdoc

G

I agree with Doc harsh solutions are not required. Scrape the affected topsoil away, replace with fresh if necessary, and increase air movement in the room. A light breeze will dry out the top in a day or so and you should have no more mold issues.

Good luck

Farmer John

Born to be alive.
Veteran
Hey why not pee in the pot who says no-no? :mad:

:biglaugh: I wouldnt put anything harmful in there either, and neem definately isnt harmful lol, and imo the best way to prevent this from happening is to use your fingers like Babba said, and break the dirt from the surface, it also helps a lot if watering from top because the soil usually gets very hard from top and the water pools so all understand how it helps, I think it was Cap who explained this very simply a while ago, easy. :smile:

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So you believe neem is harsh then .... ? Have you used it much ? just curious ... I find neem as a great prevenative treatment . Especially with the onset of spring :)

Growdoc

Cannabis Helper
Veteran
Babbabud said:
So you believe neem is harsh then .... ? Have you used it much ? just curious ... I find neem as a great prevenative treatment . Especially with the onset of spring :)

I have and do use neem when needed, for me its one of my best buddies...

But it is quite strong, ever get that stuff on your skin?

Growdoc

G

fighting a moisture problem wih a chemical seems kinda harsh. No disrespect intended to Neem in any way. That stuff is gold.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well I actually never meant to say the small bit of mold on the soil should treated with neem to get rid of it . I would prefer that they turn the surface over with their fingers to prevent the mold ...was actually trying to show that if prevenative measures are taken along the way ...many of these problems can be avoided. I step up the preventative maintence this time of year as it seems spring brings about activity of all kinds :) So while spraying neem to prevent critters I find it beneficial to coat the soil while im at it .....this will keep the nats away and mold doesnt grow on the neem oil residue. I do however believe the h2o2 is a detriment to a organic soil grow .

est1977

While were on the subject of mold , what would be a god way to get rid of it on the leaves does neem work for this or should i go get a sulfur burner? Ive been foilar feeding to try to curtail some of it on the leafs ive also pruned all to no avail help any one got any ideas ,its spreading quick!!!

Growdoc

Cannabis Helper
Veteran
est1977 said:
While were on the subject of mold , what would be a god way to get rid of it on the leaves does neem work for this or should i go get a sulfur burner? Ive been foilar feeding to try to curtail some of it on the leafs ive also pruned all to no avail help any one got any ideas ,its spreading quick!!!

You stated that you have mold on your leafs and that you have been trying to treat it with foilar feeding

Ok look, mold can only grow when there is enough moisture present to activate the spors... dont i repeat dont use water to fight mold...everything needs to be dried out and moisture must be brought way down... like to 20%-10%... Ozone Generators are really nice for all the people that dont have a real ventilation system

Growdoc

immortal

I agree with cap on this one. I was getting mold when I first switch to 12 12 in the dark cycle, My fans were turning off with the light. After I switched the fans to be on all the time there was no more mold. The mold I did get never got farther than the topsoil. Good Luck