What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Molasses before flowering?

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
Hey friend i have a jug of Humboldt Honey ES "extra strong" leftover from last season.
Its derived from: pure cane molasses, volcanic ash, yucca extract, seaplant extract, quillaja saponaria and montmorillonite i believe its spelt lol.

Used this stuff last year during flower only, was wondering about using it now? We are Probably a month or so out before plants actually start to flower.

So far plants mostly get Earth Juice Grow, Verde Grow from Humboldt Nutrients, silica and liquid karma. they get compost tea about once a week with brix added to it. Thanks

jedi5891

Thanks. Ive always thought molasses was more of a sweetener and to use during flowering

Molasses is not a sweetener thats like feeding milk to a cow. Molasses is usually given at the end of bloom as the plants hold onto all the sugars instead of feeding the root zone. So its basically feeding the microorganisms in the root zone.
Peace
Namaste

Surfgimp

Look up TeraGanix EM-1, thats a great way to give molasses to your girls. You can brew your own starting w/ a gal of that, make 20 more. As DC said ^^^ feed to microbes in your soil all season long. Builds strong roots that take up nutes faster.

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
Molasses is not a sweetener thats like feeding milk to a cow. Molasses is usually given at the end of bloom as the plants hold onto all the sugars instead of feeding the root zone. So its basically feeding the microorganisms in the root zone.
Peace
Namaste

so you are saying to use only when plants are flowering?

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
Look up TeraGanix EM-1, thats a great way to give molasses to your girls. You can brew your own starting w/ a gal of that, make 20 more. As DC said ^^^ feed to microbes in your soil all season long. Builds strong roots that take up nutes faster.

could i add it to my tea mix? Im using Boogie Brews 2 part mix. Base +Boost. Along with their Boogie Brix

RoostaPhish

Veteran
As long as it is still good there is no reason that it would hurt. It would be beneficial at any time. Especially if the plant isnt exuding enough sugars for the microherd. I wouldnt add it to your brews because there is probably already a carbohydrate source in the brix part. They were saying that they are MOST beneficial too use at the end of flowering because the plant doesnt exude sugars from its roots at this point. Which the microherd depend on. Supplementing this can keep them happy and digesting.

Drewsif

My fear of using it in veg comes from studies showing that sugars only slow down the absorption of nutes in several test plants (not mj), interfering with osmosis and capillary action, literally clogging the roots.

Molasses IS a sweetener, use it too late and you can taste it. Unless youre growing dank like Douglas C and can't taste that your plant is soaking it up.

Don't care what anyone says. Sugar in late flower is detrimental. Grow some plants with zero terps, use sugar on them the last month: Its in the plants. Budcandy, Sweet, SourDee, Floranectar, Molasses, pancake syrup:all dominant smells of local dispo weed and it leaves a carmalized residue in my vape,and it is the only thing that restricts my breathing.

That added weight, added frost, added stickiness. Its no coincidence. Biggest gimmick in growing. They flush with it for sugar weight and sugar frost!

If your plants and soil are healthy, photosynthesis makes and exudes any sucrose your rootzone can use. The simple sugars are adulterants, straight up. Not saying it can't feed micros, but isn't there something else, like complex carbs instead of simple sugars?

All i know is taste buds/reality trumps salesman science. "Sugars are complex carbs,our carb feed is scientifically formulated to bioactively regulate and trigger specific reactions blah blah..." lol, no.. They've changed the wording on sweetener products so much over the years. They used to flat out admit the plant absorbed the sugars and plant esters in all those stupid flavored carb products. All glorified Brix+. I dont know why people pretend they cant smell it in the plant. It smells just like whatever sugar you used.

They say sucanat is the one that does the least damage to the taste of flowering buds. I like my marijuana to taste sourr, not sweet..

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I run almost exclusively hydro. Sweeteners ruin the real flavors of cannabis and affect how it burns. No thanks. Sweetened cannabis ruins the 'dank factor.'

I'm sure using some in organic soil grows is beneficial. Shouldn't matter whether you're in veg or bloom. You're feeding the microherd, which is assisting the plant with nutrient uptake. Excessive amounts will always negatively affect quality.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Molasses provides calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium, sulfur, b vitamins and a host of micronutrients as well as a source for sugar.

a quick source of energy for plants, improves fruit and bud flavor with the additional sulfur and feeds beneficial microorganisms.

I feed molasses and kelp lightly once a week all through veg and early flower. Kind of a booster to know my plant has everything it could need available.

Ive ran botnicare sweet and molasses in the past lightly all through flower/flush in soil and recirculating hydro on probably 50 strains without noticing any affect on how it burned or making it "too sweet". Skunk/shit smelling strains still come out smelling and tasting of skunk and or shit in my experience.

Honestly too much of anything isnt good, and the sulphur from the molasses really seems to draw out the aroma and flavor.

By lightly i mean like 1/2 teaspoon per gallon water, shit drops ph like crazy. Its recommended to dissolve it in hot water first, very neccesary for hydro.

Last edited:

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
Ive tried to keep everything somewhat organic thus far. Not using PH down at all. My tap water outside is filtered and Ph'd around 7.5-8 or so. I did add some cal mag with a couple waterings... I stopped reading the PH levels, plants are green

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
In soil growing the greatest thing ive found is dolomite lime, has taken all the guess work out of ph and given me peace of mind.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
My plants stay nice and green with zero signs of deficiency without phing my water. However ph isnt the only problem derived from water, high ppm or "hard" tap/well water can still be an issue by causing nutrient lockouts, its good to check and know.

Different nutrients are taken up better at different ph levels and this is where the lime helps alot. When it is present in the soil its trying to bring ph up to 7 if it becomes acidic and takes some time in doing so.

both pelletized and powdered dolomite lime begin buffering ph immediately from what ive read. Pelletized lime simply takes longer to release its available calcium and magnesium.

I took a glass of water and put a tiny shot of my citric acid solution into it .

I measured the pH with my pen and it read 5.1.

I then took a half teaspoon of powdered dolomite lime and stirred it into the acidic water. Here is what happened to the pH:

Original pH before addition of Dolomite = 5.1

1minute - pH had risen to 5.3
5 minutes – pH had risen to 5.8 – so within minutes we have a much more desirable pH plant-wise!
15 minutes – pH was 6.0 – doing its job nicely.
1 hr – pH was 6.3
2 hrs – pH is 6.4
3 hrs - pH is 6.5
4hrs - pH is 6.6
5hrs - pH is 6.7
8hrs - pH is 6.9 - job pretty much done!

considering that the optimum availability pH for most macro and micro nutrients it between 6 and 7, the job that the dolomite is doing is, imo, exactly what we want from it.

jwm

Veteran
I've got plantation molasses. Not the organic version. Looks to be a slight diff in amounts.
Does it have to be the organic or will this do fine?

Thoughts?

Thanks

M

moose eater

I was taught in the not too distant past that if you're already set for K, then no need to dabble in molasses.

jwm

Veteran
Thanks for the responses.
So many opinions. For every one pro there’s a con.