What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Modern pot dosen't taste as good.

swedishwiking

Todays most herb are crosses off sativas / indicas-afghani....
A pure sativa will taste better...
Why ? Because sativas have much lesser chlorophyll then indicas/afghani...
And chlorophyll tastes like crap...

onegreenday

Veteran
beauty (taste/smell/ look) is in the eye of the beholder.
i knew an old smoker/dealer (30+ year) who said the best
tasting grass
he ever had came from Mexico (60's) and was like candy;
so go figure ...........

Rose56

Hi, I think part of the change in taste has to do with the fact that a lot of the stuff in clubs are grown with hydroponics unlike the stuff back in the day that was all grown outside.

theLION

along time ago when grimm was around ,purple and the most wonderful i have ever seen so far and thats saying allot

CLDBD

The weed I grow is rather tasty. I cure properly though. I am too young to know the difference though.

G

grasspass

I thought more about this . I doesn't matter that it doesn't taste as good as the old days, because it's so I potent, I never want more than 2 hits!

F

flat5th

And that also when the "growing addiction" sets in as well :woohoo:

Haha. Truer words have never been spoken.

To the OP - you GOTTA grow your own or have a friend who grows (and grows well). I've only been growing for one year and my stash is now the best smelling, tasting, and most potent stuff i've ever smoked. and i have LOADS of it...for FREE!!! (other than operation costs...obviously)

welcome back to the herb!
Fifth.

Uncle Remus

Abja Roots

As for heads being greedy and herb being expensive. It's just not the case. I forget where I saw the break down, but the price has remained almost the same. Especially when you consider a few things. No seeds or random leaf matter which has always been substantial , and inflation.

WHAT??? Price stayed the same???

Um sorry but no, prices have gone WAY the fuck up...I used to buy 1/4oz of good shit for $20 in the mid 80's...And that 1/4oz was 3 fingers high in the baggie, not micro weighed to the 100/th of a gram

Nowadays these greedy punks try to sell you grams of their so called "dro" for $20...So basically a 1/4oz is gonna run you $140...And the schwag clowns hardly ever have anything "good" for under $85 a 1/4

So if yur saying prices have basically stayed the same then I'd say you'd better go back to math class...Shit was way cheaper, and bigger, way back in the day

Hank Hemp

Veteran
Red Bud Colombian is the best tasting weed I`ve ever come across. Thi, Vetnam. Cambodia, don`t care red bud was the best, spicy I`d call it.

SKAGITMAGIC

hey since were on the subject i live in northern washington and have the states permission to grow 15 plants as does my wife, were growing purple erkle, my first indoor show got busted march 30 1966, i was growing plants from mexican weed and transplanting them all over the SF BAY area, I got turned on to my first indica in 1977 these 2 guys from bellingham washington traded me 10 seeds for some fishing info on baker lake and i started them plants and bought a 1000 watt BUMH from hightimes, before everything got ripped off I did a couple years of growing and the weed tasted way better than anything I've seen in a long time, I smoked some blackberry not to long ago that had the taste I'm after deep in the smoke, but the potency was just okay,I bought 10 feminized seeds of white widow which i'm hopeing will do the trick. when I got the med ticket I got the lumatek 600 duals and a 400 single, I'm really looking for something to play with, I've had this feeling that the commercial bud here in washington just isn't let go that extra week to make it better then theres this BC DUD we call it locally, looks good but strickly maitenence weed, I been smoking since 65 and when i met the mrs in 74 she had a couple of pounds of whoahawin in her closet what else could i do.hehe. theres a rumor i been hearing for about 10 years that this commercial bc bud is tumbled dry,and they collect the good stuff, the cystals are almost non exestent on the Buds, I really don't know if its true but you hear that alot north of seattle

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm toking for over 40 yrs and the weed today tastes better imo than
even the best colombo, panama, or african ganga I got back in the 60s.

One thing the OP here might consider is that your connection has some
issues with perhaps fluhing nutes and/or curing of the weed once done,
both of those conditions can lead to some poor tasting & smoking weed.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
theres a rumor i been hearing for about 10 years that this commercial bc bud is tumbled dry,and they collect the good stuff, the cystals are almost non exestent on the Buds, I really don't know if its true but you hear that alot north of seattle
anything is possible, if your supposedly grade 'A' bud is lacking a huge trichome count then it's likely being processed by tumbler for the trichs before you see it, if not then it's being harvested too early and so you're still getting fucked by greedy growers.

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
I'm back to herb after over 25 years and my view is that the Colombian gold I used to get tasted better and smelled better burning than this modern skunky smelling stuff I am now getting. Weed seems about 2 to 3 times stronger now compared to the old days , but the taste reminds me of some hempy wild low grade I used to pick for free , years ago. Anyone agree? I'm just getting back into it , so this opinion could be way off base.

There's only one 1/8th that I purchased back in 1983 that really stands out. The way I remember it, it was the best pot I ever bought. Now I don't have to worry about it. I now grow the best pot I've ever smoked. If I ever go buy a bag of pot, I should be arrested.

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
Bull feathers and pork pussies! The weed was crap when we were kids. Face it. The stuff that was "Columbian Gold" and "Panama Red" tasted like what it was - imported brick that floated ashore. Even the stuff imported from the Far East was just weed and mostly leaves at that! I grew up thinking you smoked the leaf because buds were not the majority of what was in a full four-finger bag. The work breeders have done in the past 15 years has made all the difference. Did we have blueberry taste back in the day? What about orange, skunk or any of the others? No, we didn't.

We had shitty tasting weed that needed a full joint to catch a buzz. Today, I do one or two hits and set it aside. Taste - other than an issue for dumbass, elitist fucking pot snobs - no longer really enters into the equation because so little product is required in order to get the desired affect.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now that was a quality fucking rant brought to you by the kind folks at Rants, Inc. You're write, we rant. To get your own quality rant P.M. me and I'll give you one rant for $7.99 and a free additional rant (off topic only) for today only.

swishaman

Bull feathers and pork pussies! The weed was crap when we were kids. Face it. The stuff that was "Columbian Gold" and "Panama Red" tasted like what it was - imported brick that floated ashore. Even the stuff imported from the Far East was just weed and mostly leaves at that! I grew up thinking you smoked the leaf because buds were not the majority of what was in a full four-finger bag. The work breeders have done in the past 15 years has made all the difference. Did we have blueberry taste back in the day? What about orange, skunk or any of the others? No, we didn't.

We had shitty tasting weed that needed a full joint to catch a buzz. Today, I do one or two hits and set it aside. Taste - other than an issue for dumbass, elitist fucking pot snobs - no longer really enters into the equation because so little product is required in order to get the desired affect.

Now that was a quality fucking rant brought to you by the kind folks at Rants, Inc. You're write, we rant. To get your own quality rant P.M. me and I'll give you one rant for $7.99 and a free additional rant (off topic only) for today only.

it's all opinion. it also sounds like you just smoked bad shwag when you were younger.

they are talking about pot from the 60-70's...

also, skunk is from the 70's(maybe early 80's?) and blueberry is a line from DJs work which was started in the very early 70's.

personally, having never had the chance to smoke the 'legendary' strains, i would love to try them and i'm sure they would be pretty good tasting. not as tasty as some of todays herb, but their highs would be phenomenal in my opinion. much better than all of the bland dutch crap that floods the market.

G

Gobwats

Guess it all depends upon where you were living and getting your weed. In central FL most of what we smoked fell out of aircraft flying low level over pastures at night. Spent time with my bud on the coast chart tide tables after hearing of CG busts off shore, so I know how shitty the float weed tasted. Made me appreciate that 2 hr drive just to go surfing.

Latest posts

Latest posts