What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mobile Phone Censorship

VenerableHippie

I was messaging on my Korean smartphone the other day and typed the word: 'ecstacy'. (Also called m.d.m.a. or 'molly'.)

Now I know that no one on site here would ever take this pharmaceutical, but I know you would be interested in the censorship hidden inside my phone and maybe yours.

You see every time I tried to type the above word the phone changed 'ecstacy' to 'eustace'. Goodness knows what else is inside there as I haven't long owned a smart phone.

Anyway ... there's the Man again, the Establishment, interfering with our Freedom.

Last edited:

sneezydog

yes its nice to be able to make tyops sithout repercussion or percussion. but the rest of the pgone is watching still....
nice to be able to spell a word. instead of just throwing letters and hoping they come together or worse yet talk to text.

VenerableHippie

The new fangled communication devices try to force people to have no idea about spelling punctuation. I strongly advise turning off predictive text and spell check functions. This way your typois will be normal and undrstindable. ;) lol

Who's Molly, and why is she coming with us again?? lolololol
There's thread on-site titled Mary Jane meets Molly Roll ... in case yr intertested.

Ca++

eustace is a name, without a capital. This has been taught the phone through continued input. Though a used phone is usually wiped by the seller and buyer, so maybe somebody else uses your phone?

My phone is 5yo. I'm waiting for someone to make a replacement with the same functionality. However, the situation just worsens.

Ca++

I just remembered. After factory reset, my auto-fill still remembered. I have poked about trying to specifically make it forget, with no joy. It remembers things like my email and subtle variations of it, that I no longer use. Generally variations that are off the edge of the screen when I get the suggestion list. Thus, I can't choose the one I want, and must type in the whole thing. Which is about the only time I would rather not.

Edit: I just hit me. I don't have auto-fill. I have suggestions. Auto-fill was making changes. I honestly hated it. I have it set for suggestions. It says what I tell it, but offers suggestions along an upper tool-bar that I can tap on to use them.