What's new

"MMJ as it currently stands is simply legalized drug dealing."

hippie_lettuce

Garden Nymph
Veteran
Well when big pharma gives you drugs, that's also legalized drug dealing. LOL

I never can understand the rationality, or should I say irrationality, of some people. They will say anything and everything to keep cannabis (and its supporters) down!!

Molson

... it's pretty vague... "legalized drug dealing" has a pejorative ring to it... Sounds like something the head of the DEA would say.

Neo 420

Veteran
I think that statement as is, is damaging to the MMJ movement. I worked for a pot club in the bay for about 9 months (they got closed by the DEA 2 week after I got fired) and just to see the some of the patients conditions sobered me and strengthened my cause for advocating prop 215. (On a side note one day at work this lady walks up to me and said are you XXXXX son? I said yes and she proceeded to tell me she worked with my mom and loved the work we did for the community.)
The reason I think the statement is damaging is MMJ already has a certain stigma attached and some do compare it to drug dealing with no medical value. Hippie provided a great comment on big pharma and he is essentially right. Big pharma is a super huge mega profitable drug dealer. They are looked upon as lifesaving and medically sound resources and until MMJ is viewed as the same, there will be issue surrounding the movement.

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
that's only if you consider it a drug. Just cuz the prices did not come down does not make it criminal, it is still the same suppliers and now a business has to make money as well.
I hate it when somebody who is not taking the risk to grow, starts running their mouth off. When you start growing and i don't mean 400watts, come talk to me. Talking in general terms here not finger pointing.
What does it cost for:
Hydro $1200 or 345/mo
RENT $4500 or 1750/mo
soil $100
fertilizers $500
co2 $300 from a burner x3 if pure co2
babies/seed $300 for clones, but from seed F!@$ that's expensive, plus the time to find a mother, i mean a real keeper, rez genetics have fun even getting them.lol
clippers $1000
security $??? fences, dogs, cameras, sleepless nights
equipment $12,000 - $20,000
& setup
EXPERINECE = PRICELESS or a life time of learning.
Total costs with startup and equipment = $8000 in crop expenses every crop plus whatever your setup is. Plus 3 to 4 monts of your time, risk and acheivement.
What is the real profit against the odds and RISKS.
Plus how you now have to alter your life and living to accomodate.
pharmasuticals make some of the highest profits, everybody complains and pays. Hell americans come across the line to get canadian medical drugs cheaper.

C

Classyathome

"MMJ as it currently stands is simply legalized drug dealing."

So is bartending...

IWanaGetHiSoHi

Medical MariJuana (MMJ) as it stands is the dried flowers of or concentrates made from a cannabis plant used in a medicinal fashion. I'm smoking a Bubbler of some fine MMJ right now ... Did I deal "drugs" to myself?

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
haha legalized drug dealing??

what about oxy, vicodin, tylenol, aspirin, hydrocodone, and the thousands and thousands of other pharma drugs that are peddled onto the people with known adverse health effects as extreme as DYING!

but oh my god, this plant that grows in the ground and makes people laugh and lazy, oh my god lets ban this substance!!

people

are

fucking

stupid..

I agree with it. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Just a thing.
Well when big pharma gives you drugs, that's also legalized drug dealing.
Can't disagree with this either!
Weed is, and has always been, primarily a recreational drug. Although people are now enjoying the medical benefits of this herb due to the abundance of real information available (compared to when I started smoking weed) and the improved legal climate in some areas, weed is still a fun thing for the largest majority of users. When the term "legalized drug dealing" is bandied in a disparaging manner what the speaker may be attempting to say is, legalized recreational drug dealing.

Terms like "legalized drug dealing" may have negative connotations to some, especially the straight-laced conservative types. But let's look at this. there has always been and always will be, "legalized drug dealing" legalized tobacco, and alcohol are "legalized recreational drug dealing" on a whole other level without any socially redeeming values what-so-ever!

That this budding industry is still, by and large, a cottage industry makes this branch of "legalized drug dealing" a very good thing IMO.

The worst things about any illicit drug dealing; violence, poor dosage control, adulterated, even poisoned drugs are actually fostered by the very fact that are illegal. The illicit drug trade is a money maker on both sides of the law. The bulk of criminal cases on the dockets are drug or drug related cases. How many men and women today are employed by various drug interdiction organizations and how many other people are indirectly employed due to the fact that drugs are illegal?

When I hear people using "Legal Drug dealing" (or similar terms) to communicate a negative opinion, I gotta doubt their critical thinking skills. How in the hell can this be a bad thing?

hippie_lettuce

Garden Nymph
Veteran
I agree with it. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Just a thing.

Can't disagree with this either!
Weed is, and has always been, primarily a recreational drug. Although people are now enjoying the medical benefits of this herb due to the abundance of real information available (compared to when I started smoking weed) and the improved legal climate in some areas, weed is still a fun thing for the largest majority of users. When the term "legalized drug dealing" is bandied in a disparaging manner what the speaker may be attempting to say is, legalized recreational drug dealing.

Terms like "legalized drug dealing" may have negative connotations to some, especially the straight-laced conservative types. But let's look at this. there has always been and always will be, "legalized drug dealing" legalized tobacco, and alcohol are "legalized recreational drug dealing" on a whole other level without any socially redeeming values what-so-ever!

That this budding industry is still, by and large, a cottage industry makes this branch of "legalized drug dealing" a very good thing IMO.

The worst things about any illicit drug dealing; violence, poor dosage control, adulterated, even poisoned drugs are actually fostered by the very fact that are illegal. The illicit drug trade is a money maker on both sides of the law. The bulk of criminal cases on the dockets are drug or drug related cases. How many men and women today are employed by various drug interdiction organizations and how many other people are indirectly employed due to the fact that drugs are illegal?

When I hear people using "Legal Drug dealing" (or similar terms) to communicate a negative opinion, I gotta doubt their critical thinking skills. How in the hell can this be a bad thing?

Well you are right, in that there are bad connotations attached to the phrase "drug dealing." Think about it, when people hear this phrase, they are not necessarily going to think of positive things right away. That is exactly why we do not want to associate this plant with those terms. We do not want to say that this is drug dealing, that me growing for personal use, to help alleviate some of my aches and pains, is drug dealing. We don't want to discount any of the good people who are behind the movement and pushing it forward, and say that they are drug dealers.

Who do we want to call drug dealers, and rightly deserve the name? Big Pharma. They are one of the biggest drug dealers in the world. They probably don't want to be associated with that phrase either, because they know "dealing" drugs is a "bad" look.

Molson

Taken literally, it doesn't sound bad. However, in the cultural context of the US "drug dealing" has a negative connotation attached to it. So whenever you use that term, people frown. That's just the way it is.

Nobody wants to be seen as a bad guy. It's bad for business. It's hard to use the term "drug dealing" in a positive light, even if you say "legalized drug dealing," which is kind of an oxymoron anyway since drug dealers usually dabble exclusively in illegal drugs.

Associating MMJ w/ the term "legalized drug dealing" doesn't paint a good picture for the average Joe.

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
Nobody wants to be seen as a bad guy. It's bad for business. It's hard to use the term "drug dealing" in a positive light, even if you say "legalized drug dealing," which is kind of an oxymoron anyway since drug dealers usually dabble exclusively in illegal drugs.

Tell that to Big Pharm--:tiphat:

I agree with the statement.
Most people with medical recs just get them so they can smoke weed.
Maybe 10% actually have a serious medical need.
Nothing wrong with smokin' to get high though!
Drugs are drugs, no matter how they are labeled.

daydreamer

you think alcohol are tobacco are not drugs? People drink alcohol to self medicate. so what's wrong with self medicating with cannabis?

Neo 420

Veteran
that's only if you consider it a drug. Just cuz the prices did not come down does not make it criminal, it is still the same suppliers and now a business has to make money as well.
I hate it when somebody who is not taking the risk to grow, starts running their mouth off. When you start growing and i don't mean 400watts, come talk to me.

I do not get your point. Could explain a little more?