What's new

MMAR article in the province

MoeBudz^420

Veteran
" page not found

We’re sorry, the page you requested is not available.

If you typed in a URL, please check the address and spelling."

Peace

MoeBudz^420

Veteran
Didn't for me, direct C+P. Got the skinny from the DG thread anyhow.

Contents instead of a link should be posted anyhow - I'd have done it if I didn't get the error...

Peace

Green Supreme

Veteran
Did not notice you put the whole thing in the DG thread. Peace GS

Price of medical marijuana to hit new high under new sales system

THE CANADIAN PRESS December 14, 2012

Story
Photos ( 1 )

Price of medical marijuana to hit new high under new sales system

FILE - In this Oct. 10, 2012 file photo, marijuana is weighed and packaged for sale at the Northwest Patient Resource Center medical marijuana dispensary in Seattle. Health Canada has proposed a new system which would create licensed grow-ops that people could shop at, provided they have a prescription from their doctor.

OTTAWA — The cost of medical marijuana in Canada is set to hit a new high as the government seeks to get out of the business.

Regulations posted Friday by Health Canada propose medical marijuana should be treated more like any other medicine.

Essentially, the new system would create licensed grow-ops that people could shop at, provided they have a prescription from their doctor.

Currently, those who wish to use medical marijuana must apply for a permit from the government in order to either grow it themselves or buy it from a single government grower.

There has been demand for years for the system to change because of health and safety concerns and also issues surrounding access and quality.

But the changes will come at a cost for users.

"The main economic cost associated with the proposed (Marijuana for Medical Purposes Regulations) would arise from the loss to consumers who may have to pay a higher price for dried marijuana," the regulations say.

Currently, the price of medical marijuana in Canada ranges from $1.80 to $5.00 a gram.

It will rise to $8.80 under the new system, which would see consumers forfeit about $166 million a year for 10 years, the regulations say.

That's in part because the government will stop subsidizing the marijuana it sells.

Canadians have had access to marijuana for medical purposes since 1999 and the system has been tweaked several times since thanks mostly to court cases.

The posted regulations say the growth of the program has placed a strain on Health Canada's resources.

In 2002, 477 individuals were authorized to possess marijuana for medical purposes. As of August, that number had grown to 21,986.

The majority grow their own marijuana or buy from a supplier, not the government.

That's created concerns for Health Canada, which pegs the cost of running the program between 2010 and 2013 at $16.8 million, not including tax. An additional year would cost $9.7 million.

Law enforcement authorities have had their own worries.

"Police have also raised concerns that residential production activities leave the program vulnerable to abuse, including criminal involvement and diversion to the illicit market, particularly given the attractive street value of marijuana," the regulations say.

Meanwhile, 70 per cent of people in the program who grow their own marijuana produce 25 plants or more, and many production sites aren't properly set up to handle that, the regulations say.

The risk of mould, toxic exposure and electrical hazards is widespread.

In January, inspectors in Calgary examined an operation licensed by Health Canada and found several infractions, including building code violations and compromised air intake.

Toxins, pesticides, herbicides, fertilizer and potentially contaminated drinking water were also found.

"Such issues may not only have an impact on individual producers, but also potentially on those living at the same address, adjacent residential units, and/or in the surrounding community, who may not even suspect the existence of these risks," the regulations say.

For its role in the production and sale of marijuana, the government collected $1,686,600 in 2011-2012.

Health Canada would not regulate the price of marijuana under the new system, leaving it up to licensed producers who would have to agree to a set of conditions before being able to produce the drug.

"The new regulatory scheme returns Health Canada to its traditional role of regulator rather than producer and service provider, while striking a better balance between access and risks to public health and safety," the regulations say.

Health Minister Leona Aglukkaq announced last year that she intended to get the government out of the business of growing medical marijuana.

A series of consultations were held across the country on the new program before the regulations were unveiled.

The government is inviting public comment on the new system for the next 75 days.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/health/P...sales+system/7702099/story.html#ixzz2F96QPU6w

MoeBudz^420

Veteran
I did not say anything about posting the whole thing in the DG thread..

I said, to quote - I "GOT THE SKINNY" from the DG thread, you posted the link to the Gazette there.

I read it and responded. The :no: price :no: is EXACTLY my issue, after all it was that which began my gardening a couple decades ago - well before mmar, in the days of OG.

Many did it to make money - i always did it to SAVE money, was never part of the problem and will not be extorted by anyone...

BTW, thanx for posting it up, k+

Edit: Gotta go and tell a couple local licensees that may not be aware yet - Spread the word...

Peace

Last edited:
This is going to be interesting on several points

Before the new mandatory sentences came into effect in Nov 2012 a lot of people would never get charged for growing. Usually cops would come in and cut the plants and destroy the equipment. I've known people with up to 20 lights wonder WTF when the cops left and they didn't get charged or eventually the charges would get dropped.

Now about three years ago there was a gold rush to score a license and grow "legally" with minimal risk and not a chance of jail time unless you're a retard who insisted going over your limit, steal hydro or have guns on the property.

No seems HC want to get out of the MJ business all together and phase out licenses which will be interesting.

There's gonna be a lot of broke growers who set up grow in the last 6months/1year.

Lots of them will not take the chance with the mandatory sentences so this will leave the hardcore growers to go wild as prices will probably raise.

There's gonna be a LOT of used equipment available which I think will hurt the hydro stores in a short term but most are not well of like they were back in the early 2000's

Green Supreme

Veteran
?Contents instead of a link should be posted anyhow - I'd have done it if I didn't get the error..."

I was pointing out that you got the skinny on it on the DG thread, but did not put the text there. Contrary to what your post was stating. Peace GS

pho

Fuck Health Canada... does anyone want to buy some growing equipment? This is just BS. Took me forever to get legal, now this.

I can't smoke at work, can't grow, what's the point of even being legal? Everyone persecutes us MMAR holders anyway! Makes me feel like a damn pariah.

Fuck Health Canada... does anyone want to buy some growing equipment? This is just BS. Took me forever to get legal, now this.

I can't smoke at work, can't grow, what's the point of even being legal? Everyone persecutes us MMAR holders anyway! Makes me feel like a damn pariah.

Well this is a case of a LOT of bad apples soiling a small bunch. Look at it this way if the doctor prescribed it to you you're golden to smoke it at work providing being high doesn't put you and others in danger.

Green Supreme

Veteran
HC, they designed the program to fail. Gangsters and Doc's like Kamerman's ,are just an inevitable products of the program they designed. It has been made pit all sides against each other, rather than helping each other. The Conservatives have their own evil agenda, but I believe they have little to do with MMAR issues. Peace GS

mango420

This is the conservatives and the rcmp working together on this. The consoltation process is a joke, they didnt listen to a thing users of the program said, they only listen to the feds. I cant believe they think they can put a program like this in place and not have repercusions. They expect people to pay more than street prices for meds when people can grow it for very little?? I feel the worst for people with PPL who will have no chance of buying it from a commercial producer. If I were in that position I would just continue to grow and if I got busted I would just challenge the law. Also if I had set up in the last few years with a PPL I would be looking for a lawyer to file a class action lawsuit against the govnt for recovering the cost of equipment and setup.

pho

Well this is a case of a LOT of bad apples soiling a small bunch. Look at it this way if the doctor prescribed it to you you're golden to smoke it at work providing being high doesn't put you and others in danger.

Actually no, you're unfortunately wrong.

I've contacted Health Canada, Kirk Tousaw and a ton of other employment lawyers and they all seemed to say that employers still have a right to terminate me even though I'm legal through the Federal government.

I was shocked, stunned and outraged. I've been offered methadone as a long term chronic pain solution - can you fucking believe it! I've been fighting with corporate HR and in their cross hairs for years at my place of employment, and I had to sign a modified contract to be able to eat brownies. They slid and said I can vaporize off site too, but if I smell like it, have red eyes (seriously...) or even so much as smile too much so other employees become suspicious it is grounds for termination. I had to sign. I had no choice. The contract expired and I haven't talked to HR since, but I can't risk losing employment.

The lawyers never checked into anything with too much depth though unless I wanted to pay a huge retaining fee. I was HOPING they'd just say that because it's prescribed, it's okay. But for some stupid reason the employment laws will protect them if they fire me. If they fire me with cause, I won't be eligible for unemployment insurance (something I've never used and don't plan on using, but pay thousands for...). My wife's in school full time as well, so it'd be playing things way too dangerously.

If you can prove me wrong though, I'd love to hear it, my man. Brownies just get me fucking stoned. Tried making tons of different kinds of budders but even a low dose just gets me more fucked up than it does for relieving my migraines. Smoking KILLS my nausea too. And I work on a computer for more than 8 hours a day, sitting under blaring fluorescent lights in an environment with fucking slob employees that smell like shit, body odour and dirty laundry mixed with cigarette smoke. If I were able to take a couple of quick puffs it'd help immensely. No way I can afford a vape either. I'm sitting on a ton of growing equipment I can't use in my new home, so maybe if I can sell it back to a grow store I could entertain buying a vape. Ugh...

monkeybrains420

Canadian courts have determined that, under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, individuals who have demonstrated a medical need for marihuana have a right to reasonable access to a legal source of marihuana for medical purposes.

Most People that are licenced are on low income and the new cost would cost more than they make a month .

"Reasonable Access" this will be a easy win for the sick people of Canada. So if your sick keep on growing .

TURBD

Don't worry. They have pills in jail to take care of your medical needs.
Then they make $ off the pills and you being in jail.
That will sure show them.

O

OneTokeOver

I'm prepared to go to jail in defense of my rights.

How about you?

Latest posts

Latest posts