What's new

Mk IV A Phoenix Terpenator

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mk IVC Medizin Maker

Mk IVC Medizin Maker

Mk IVC Medizin Maker SN-00013 as certified in OR, WA, CO, NV, and MD, but scheduled for NV!

NEMA 7 Class 1 Div 1, with heat supplied by hot water from outside the room, and cooling supplied by a Temco Fisher Scientific process chiller outside the room.

Jacketed columns for cooling and heating.

Liquid N2 Counterflow heat exchanger for subzero butane injection.

Haskel EXT-420 recovery pump. Vaccon HP 300 venturi vacuum pump.

Primary piping and valves Swagelok.

Cart stainless and white HDPE for ease of cleaning.

Placarded ASME Collection vessel.

Attachments

• Mk IVC Medizin Maker-1-1.jpg
    Mk IVC Medizin Maker-1-1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
More dirty peeeectures!

Here is the custom built food grade ASME Section VIII US of A built, certified and placarded collection pot, as well as the cyclonic filter drier used for certification.

The sight glass is a Metalglas insert, rated at about 230 psi.

The cyclonic filter drier uses dual replaceable #48 filter/drier inserts available from Sporlan or Emerson. It also uses 430 psi clamps, so meets the 350 psi requirement for ASME piping.

Either could be used stand alone to create your own system, or to upgrade an existing sytem.

Attachments

• Collection pot-1-1.jpg
    Collection pot-1-1.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Cyclonic filter-drier-1-1.jpg
    Cyclonic filter-drier-1-1.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GW, What are the in out fittings on the cyclonic filter and why a side port?

The inlet fitting is 1/2" MNPT, and the outlet is 3/8" FNPT.

The side port brings the stream in on a tangent, so shots of liquid are thrown to the outside wall rather than directly on the filter medium.

maxinum

Mk IVC

heat and cooling supplied by a Temco Fisher Scientific process chiller outside the room.

GW your using Liquid N2 for subzero butane injection. and a Scientific process chiller for column cooling and heating.dose a Scientific process chiller not have enough cooling power for subzero butane injection. say a -50 c process chiller

Thanks for all your help past and present

HG23

What size is that collection pot you have pictured there GW?

One thing that jumps into my mind when looking at that pic of the Mk IVC is the amount of height added by the two lower manifolds and the two curved pieces that move the collection pot over to make room for the nitrogen tank. Doing away with the curved pieces and getting some shorter manifolds made up looks like it would save a good 8-12" of height wouldn't it? Or did the operator want the ball valve placed at that height specifically?

I like that you stayed with the open water bath for the collection pot. The jacketed collection vessels look nice but seem like they would be a real pain when it came to handling them and collecting the oil. Toweling the pots off before collecting isn't really that bad at all IMO.

I like the idea of a chiller/heater for the column jacket. I like to have my columns frozen overnight but this would negate the need for that. How long does it take the unit to chill the column?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mk IVC

heat and cooling supplied by a Temco Fisher Scientific process chiller outside the room.

GW your using Liquid N2 for subzero butane injection. and a Scientific process chiller for column cooling and heating.dose a Scientific process chiller not have enough cooling power for subzero butane injection. say a -50 c process chiller

Thanks for all your help past and present

You can certainly get one that does. The liquid N2 is just a less expensive solution for initial setup, that is fast and can take you as low as you can stands.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What size is that collection pot you have pictured there GW?

One thing that jumps into my mind when looking at that pic of the Mk IVC is the amount of height added by the two lower manifolds and the two curved pieces that move the collection pot over to make room for the nitrogen tank. Doing away with the curved pieces and getting some shorter manifolds made up looks like it would save a good 8-12" of height wouldn't it? Or did the operator want the ball valve placed at that height specifically?

I like that you stayed with the open water bath for the collection pot. The jacketed collection vessels look nice but seem like they would be a real pain when it came to handling them and collecting the oil. Toweling the pots off before collecting isn't really that bad at all IMO.

I like the idea of a chiller/heater for the column jacket. I like to have my columns frozen overnight but this would negate the need for that. How long does it take the unit to chill the column?

That is a 12" X 12" food grade collection pot, with a ASME placard.

The two elbows allow you to break a horizontal sanitary union, which you can slide to one side. Breaking a vertical sanitary union, leaves no room to insert the gasket before clamping.

The 34 lb jacketed columns are more to handle, but the silicone heat pads don't meet NEMA 7 Class 1 Div 1, which the Mk IVC does have to meet in some locations.

How fast they can be chilled, depends on the chiller temperature and capacity. With liquid N2, a few moments.

The Temco Fisher Scientific we use has a capacity of around 2000 btu at 0C.

Just dropping a 34 lb column from ambient of 70F to -40C/F, is around 110 degrees delta, so with a specific heat of the column at 11.9 btu/lb/F, will require around 44,506 BTU to accomplish it in one hour.

Last edited:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pharmgold Mk IVC Medizin Maker as installed in Las Vegas.

Both the Haskel recovery pump and the Vaccon vacuum pump are air driven.

It has no electrical inside the extraction booth beyond thermocouples, generating their own non sparking low mili-volt/amp current.

It meets NEMA 7, Class 1, Div 1 explosion proof and is certified by peer review in OR, WA, CO, NV, and MD.

Column and pot heat are from PID controlled hot water systems outside the extraction room.

Cooling is from a -15C Thermo Fisher Scientific chiller outside the room, so no ice or dry ice are required.

Subzero butane injection is accomplished via a counter flow heat exchanger and liquid N2.

It can recover in either passive or active mode.

Attachments

• Medizin Maker Mk IVC installation-1-1.jpg
    Medizin Maker Mk IVC installation-1-1.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Medizin Maker Mk IVC installation-2-1-1.jpg
    Medizin Maker Mk IVC installation-2-1-1.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 32

Old Gold

Pharmgold Mk IVC Medizin Maker as installed in Las Vegas.

Both the Haskel recovery pump and the Vaccon vacuum pump are air driven.

It has no electrical inside the extraction booth beyond thermocouples, generating their own non sparking low mili-volt/amp current.

It meets NEMA 7, Class 1, Div 1 explosion proof and is certified by peer review in OR, WA, CO, NV, and MD.

Column and pot heat are from PID controlled hot water systems outside the extraction room.

Cooling is from a -15C Thermo Fisher Scientific chiller outside the room, so no ice or dry ice are required.

Subzero butane injection is accomplished via a counter flow heat exchanger and liquid N2.

It can recover in either passive or active mode.

Is the N2 cooling doable [or efficient] if storing a dewar at room temp? Or is the Thermo Fisher Sci doing work on the Nitrogen?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is the N2 cooling doable [or efficient] if storing a dewar at room temp? Or is the Thermo Fisher Sci doing work on the Nitrogen?

The Dewar is a vacuum insulated vessel and is made to store at room temperature like a thermos.

You could get to -40C with a -40C chiller, with a large heat exchanger and long residence time, but not easily in our application. Duck soup with liquid N2.

You can get -80C chillers, which would make it easier, but be spendy.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wowza. once again for sharing all the knowledge. curious as to how you implement the ln2 without getting too cold. directed vapor?

Connect Dewar via coiled stainless tubing, vis a vis hose. Polymers lose ductility at liquid N2 temperatures.

Meter the liquid N2 through a valve or orifice at the intake of the counter flow heat exchanger and vent the vapor discharge from the other end to atmosphere.

PS: Already 78% of atmosphere and not a greenhouse, ozone depleting, or smog producing gas.

Last edited:
apologies for my ignorance, for I am but a lowly hobbiest.

If I understand right, after the valve or orifice, it is vapor. Or is it liquid until it reaches
the discharge? I am wondering if this can be adapted for column chilling. Many thanks

Old Gold

It's a constantly boiling liquid (offgassing) anytime it's in conditions warmer than -320°F. Yes, it can certainly be adapted to columns as well, and wouldn't create the same pressures as a CO2 jacket would need to uphold.

I haven't set mine up yet, but what seems ideal would be setting up perhaps a pressure relief at the vent (dunno what to set it at exactly) and install a thermocouple to read internal temperatures (though you could def get away with reading jacket temperature only).

I think the pressure relief would allow you to more evenly fill something as vertically standing as a column.
Fill from top, vent from bottom?
Seems like the other way around would use much more N2 to evenly chill.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
apologies for my ignorance, for I am but a lowly hobbiest.

If I understand right, after the valve or orifice, it is vapor. Or is it liquid until it reaches
the discharge? I am wondering if this can be adapted for column chilling. Many thanks

It vaporizes in the heat exchanger and is vapor, with some spitting of liquid, at the discharge.

Yes, it can also be used for column cooling.

Latest posts

Latest posts