What's new

Mites in Soil

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
Most of the soil in my chamber comes from a home composting system, EWC. Made a topping these days with bone meal and took some fresh compost to mix. There are a huge colony of Oribatidas (Wiki) living there and it went to the plant. Watched some lurking aroung the top, then added pure bone meal and watered three days ago. See no recurrences of it anymore.
Check some pics:

1) Creatures - looks nasty but this is the EWC system, they live in there and help things get done

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-01 at 18.08.05_b5678d1d.jpg

2) Plants looks fine
20231201_180123.jpg
20231201_180221.jpg

First week under 17-7 lightning schedule inside a 0.9x0.75m grow chamber, plus 3 weeks growing at window.
Presumable Superskunk, 120w leds.

My question is: should I worry about these bugs, are they cause of some known problem?
Some tip regarding it or how proceed with your fresh compost will be much appreciated.
:alien:

Asentrouw

Most of the soil in my chamber comes from a home composting system, EWC. Made a topping these days with bone meal and took some fresh compost to mix. There are a huge colony of Oribatidas (Wiki) living there and it went to the plant. Watched some lurking aroung the top, then added pure bone meal and watered three days ago. See no recurrences of it anymore.
Check some pics:

1) Creatures - looks nasty but this is the EWC system, they live in there and help things get done

View attachment 18926408

2) Plants looks fine
View attachment 18926410 View attachment 18926411

First week under 17-7 lightning schedule inside a 0.9x0.75m grow chamber, plus 3 weeks growing at window.

My question is: should I worry about these bugs, are they cause of some known problem?
Some tip regarding it or how proceed with your fresh compost will be much appreciated.

I tried no-till for a while and came across a shitload of creepy crawlers and jumpers. Hardly any of them caused any harm.

I think as long as the biosphere sorts itself out and it doesn't turn into a pest, you don't need to worry.

I did get the well known pests like fungus gnats once in a while. If you want to get rid of them it helps to use a layer of "diatomaceous earth", which will kill off most crawlers (also the good ones). Peroxide might also do the trick.

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
I tried no-till for a while and came across a shitload of creepy crawlers and jumpers. Hardly any of them caused any harm.

I think as long as the biosphere sorts itself out and it doesn't turn into a pest, you don't need to worry.

I did get the well known pests like fungus gnats once in a while. If you want to get rid of them it helps to use a layer of "diatomaceous earth", which will kill off most crawlers (also the good ones). Peroxide might also do the trick.
I wouldn't worry about them. Mites are part of a healthy living soil.
Thank you guys for cooling inputs.
Mites are different from spider mites, think I was confused. Had an issue with spider mites years ago, nasty bugs.
For what I could learn mites don't eat living things, just dead matter. It provides food for roots without eating them.
Good tips @Asentrouw
Gnats just bore me but no problem 😊
Must keep it as living as possible..

Yeah, this is a real living soil, found a couple of earthworms between plates and pot bottoms last time I watered it.

There is a huge learning experience ahead ✨☺️

Timj

Most likely what you are seeing are Phytoseiulus persimilis. They are a predatory mite. Fast moving mites are usually the good guys. The jumper mentioned above, the "white ones" are called spring tails. They help break down organic matter. They usually will not present any problems in an organic medium.

KIS

Check some pics:

View attachment 18926408

2) Plants looks fine
View attachment 18926410 View attachment 18926411

I would suggest popping the plant out of the pot and seeing if it needs a transplant.

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
Most likely what you are seeing are Phytoseiulus persimilis. They are a predatory mite. Fast moving mites are usually the good guys. The jumper mentioned above, the "white ones" are called spring tails. They help break down organic matter. They usually will not present any problems in an organic medium.
They live in a compost bin, couldn't establish relation between both mites (Phytoseiulus, Oribatida), but for sure they are beneficial ones. Glad to see them around.

Latest posts

Latest posts