What's new

Miracle Grow Organic Choice

J

JackTheGrower

No one is ignoring you, you just seem not to understand the beginning question. So I'll put it back up for you.

All it asks if you've tried it and your experiences with it. Simple and to the point. If you haven't used it then what are you even doing here? Just so you know it IS 100% organic too. Whether you like it or not chicken litter and feather meal IS organic.

Also, I apologize if I'm coming off to be a d***, but I haven't :joint: yet and I am a little on edge.

No problem... This is a thread where I am being confrontational but I'm really a nice guy so there isn't any malice behind it.

I've worked for a company called Foster Farms and know just what they do to keep the coop healthy. From chemical sprays of the trucks and cars to chemical sprays of the people.
They gas the litter before they remove the litter to kill any pathogens. This stops the spread of pathogens once the material is outside the coop.

Chickens eat chemical laced foods and they spray chemicals to protect the birds as needed in the coop.

It's big money and they don't take chances.

A little about me... I'm a fringe organics person.. I avoid commercial products as much as possible.
So I wouldn't buy that soil mix. I would make my own composted soil and maintain it. That should explain my outlook better.

As far as results go I've read nothing but good things about MG.

My mission is to tell what I know to fellow organic growers.

So peace and love...

Jack

L

LolaGal

Is Miracle Grow Organic really organic? I just thought that meant they threw some compost in there.... I'll go look at a bag and see.

I figured if they added Miracle Grow Ferts to the bag, it was just a name.... ???

Going to check it out right now and see what it says on the bag.

here2learn

I do however, get free fungus gnats with every bag! HAHHAA Gal that should be on the bag!! free gnats with each bag!!

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I never use ANYTHING that says Miracle Grow on it.
That stuff has the post harvest sweepings from commercial chicken houses in it. Like JTG said, lots of chemicals used in commercial chicken farming.
There's nothing better than plain old peat.
Burn1

I

Iron_Lion

Has anyone tried anything from the new (at least I havent seen it before) Organic Choice line by miracle grow? I've seen it at wal-mart as well as a few local garden shops in my area. I was thinkin about giving it a try. If no one has yet I might have to be the guinea pig...

side note. I hate to support such corporate companies, but hey, it's so convienent and cuts back on the large packages coming in the mail, might be worth it just for that. and it's pretty cheap too

That stuff is f*cking garbage, dont use it. I tried it and it gave me gnats, never again, go for the good stuff. Not to mention the bag has a health hazard warning on the bag because of the composted chicken sh!t in it.

J

JackTheGrower

I've wrote Scotts and asked them.

Maybe I will get a reply...

Jack

LAMBS-BREAD

Veteran
what about doing ur own MGOC? Can some one give me a recipe close to this product?

i find this about it :

GUARANTEED MINIMUM ANALYSIS:

Total Nitrogen (N) 0.10%

0.097% total nitrogen is water-insoluble nitrogen

Available Phosphate (P2O5) 0.05%

Soluble potash (K2O) 0.05%

Organic Matter 15%

Maximum Moisture 70%

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
The only Miracle Grow product I will allow in my garden anymore is their perlite. It has a tiny bit of chemical potash in it, but nowhere near toxic levels. It is used up so fast I don't consider it a problem. I'd rather have perlite with nothing in it, but it's all I can get and it works fine.

I wouldn't say to discard something just because it's MG, but rather look at it like a generic product, which it basically is. It sure is a huge step up from Walmart "potting soil", which is a big bag of topsoil with a couple cups of perlite in it.

J

JackTheGrower

I wrote Scotts and this is what they had to say.

--------------------------

Thank you for your interest in Scotts and for the opportunity to help you with your lawn and garden endeavors.

The Organic Choice Garden Soil for Vegetables & Flowers can be used when planting vegetables from seed or transplant, but only after it has been roto-tilled or spaded into the native soil. The product is approved organic by the OMI, but we do not have any information on crops grown for medical use. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Again, thank you for your interest in Scotts. Please feel free to contact our company anytime we may be of assistance.

Karen Rausch
Consumer Response Representative
The Scotts Company and Subsidiaries
14111 Scottslawn Road
Marysville, OH 43041

--------------------------

I take that as a big fat NO!

So forgive my arrogance in razing MG Organic choice but they themselves say don't use it straight out of the bag and not for medical marijuana.

Jack

L

LolaGal

Ick, I'm supposed to roto till it into the soil huh...? Very interesting... thanks for the post.

J

JackTheGrower

Ick, I'm supposed to roto till it into the soil huh...? Very interesting... thanks for the post.

Trust me LolaGal I'm not out to harangue anyone's choice as to organic growing.. Give me ten organic gardeners and we have 10 different points of view and styles.

Glad to be of service..

Jack

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran

I bought some of this for outdoor ornamentals and it says on the back of the back "not for containers". There is also a warning to wear gloves when handling it. It smells kinda yucky. I personally wouldn't use it for an indoor grow, but I have better options.

Pinecone

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran

Grown in Miracle grow-Organic choice! I ended up having to feed them 30 days after transplanting into it (lack of N). So i guess it only feeds cannabis for 1 month!

ddd

I've seen it used in a side by side comparison grow against Ball mix. The plants in the mg organic just wouldn't grow. They seemed stunted.
The plants in the ball mix grew several times faster.
The mg organic preformed so poorly, it will never be used again. I think it ended up in the garbage or the garden.
This grow was with lettuce. I'm not sure if other plants would preform better?

RasJay727

The MG debates continue. i've grown in MG, FoxFarms,Promix,CoCo..... Man plez, just dont over feed and PAY ATTENTION to the plant. Marijuana is a WEED. I remember giving some MG grown buds to some growers i know who have always bashed MG. They all looked and commented about how good the bud was and asked what kind of organic mix i used,i just told them it was an old family recipe like KFC. Truth of the matter it was MG organic and MG moisture control soils mixed with fine coco and medium grade coco, some guano and some dolomite lime. Lol, the buds came out tasting the same as the promix and Fox Farm soil i used in the past. I do admit the gnats thing is true MG products are filled with them, but i had it under control quickly, so if ur low on cash dont sweat it get some MG products, if u have extra bucks to spend get the Fox Farm product, at the end of the day u will be smoking good herb...peace.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, I can't say anything about how well it works for my indoor garden, but I have used it (Miracle Grow Organic Choice Garden Soil) recently for a few planters of gourmet cooking herbs.

Upon first opening the bag, I could tell instantly the soil was a lesser quality. Better than buying simple top soil though. Too me it seemed like a very, very fine mulch, more than it did a soil, and I instantly realized I was going to mix it in with some top soil to give it a better consistency. So the project went something like this...

4 gal Mircle Grow Organic Garden Soil
2 gal local top soil
1 gal perilite
.5 gal of pre-soaked Soil Moist crystals (soaked crystals for three days in a 1/3 gallon of RO water, 3ml Liquid Karma, 5ml PBP Grow, 1 drop of Superthrive...simply poured this over the soil mix and mixed in evenly...) *edit* so no confusion, this was about 5tsp of actual Soil Most crystals....which when fully soaked and expanded, was about .5 gallons of medium

Figure this would NEVER work for my other plants, but for transplanting potted herbs, it isn't too big a conern...I figure it will work just fine...

After I mixed it all up, I was very content with the consistency of the mix....however, Miracle Grow on its own....I wouldn't use it that way just from the looks/texture of it...

dank.Frank

J

JackTheGrower

I don't think I am saying it doesn't work.

I'm saying it has not been proven to be safe to use for Cannabis.

Does anyone have any proof it's safe for cannabis? Scotts doesn't and they make it.

Jack

Latest posts

Latest posts