What's new

Miracle Gro: Moisture control....Anyone tried this?

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
So far its been working good for my SC re-veg so I got some more for my new clones.
Here it is:
PICT0075-3.jpg

Anyone tried this? its mixed with coco and peet....

G

It stays evenly moist, which is cool, but the top moisture attracts fungus gnats like a bug light. I used to mix it 50/50 with regular potting soil, then cap that with about 1/2 inch of play sand. The sand keeps the fungus gnats mostly under control.

I use it because it's the best the local home store carries (tried the super cheap organic garden soil once, steer manure means bug city, whoops!), and it is about 1/2 the cost of the fancier stuff the local plant store has.

Some plants I grow don't like it at all, but it works well with pot, in my experience.

NorCalFor20

Smokes, lets go
Veteran
i wouldn't use it. mg has slow release ferts in it. it will interfere with your feeding, try roots organic or foxfarm ocean forest.

i admit at the time i started my grow I had to make due with wal marts "premium potting soil" but even that would probably be better than miracle grow.

if you do use the miracle grow mix it at about 35 percent perlite 65 percent potting soil

Trying it now

Trying it now

I have a grow using it. It is doing OK so far. Also using Alaska fish emulsion during veg, and now Miracle Grow Flowering food during flowering. 3 plants I started with seedling mix and then went to the Miracle Grow after about 3 weeks, 2 lowryder 2 plants started from day 1 in Miracle Grow Moister and had no problems.

I am at 8 weeks, 3 little lowryder 2's are just ready for harvest, did great (not so great yield, but to be expected). My other 2 plants (White Widow, Himalayan Gold) in 5 Gallon buckets are also doing fine. Given the soil has ferts I didn't fert for around a month.

The gnat thing is true, but I put a no pest strip in my cab and that took care of it. Also some ants wandered in, and for good measure I put diatamacious earth on the soil and around the pots.

Also, I have had to travel on business and pleasure twice, and left them alone for 5 days or more. I watered them good, and used "Plant Sitters" (find them on Amazon). Worked great. They even did better when I just left the alone :) In fact, I think I am going back to plant sitters for slow watering, with an occasional fert feeding.

The lowryder 2's did just fine just starting to yellow at tips but they are about done. So far the others are having no trouble, but I still have over 8 weeks to go in flowering so much can still go wrong. I am using 200W of T5s, just switched from the veg bulbs to the flower bulbs. FIMmed them once, and LST like crazy (paperclips, rubber bands, push pins), and I have a beautiful flat canopy.

I am not kidding, my plants seem to do best when I just slow drip water them and mostly leave them alone. I think people here love their plants to death in an attempt to get the biggest possible yield, oh, and or course are probably baked whenever working on the plants :muahaha:

Last edited:

chubbynugs

Registered Pothead
Veteran
MG moisture control is the bomb soil. Anyone who talks trash on it doesnt know whats up. Works great especially for outdoor plants. You must mix in perlite though.

Dont feed heavy the first couple feedings and then you can start hitting them up with food. I only feed with a solution around 1000 ppms. Good luck and have fun with the mg.

NorCalFor20

Smokes, lets go
Veteran
chubbynugs said:
MG moisture control is the bomb soil. Anyone who talks trash on it doesnt know whats up. Works great especially for outdoor plants. You must mix in perlite though.

Dont feed heavy the first couple feedings and then you can start hitting them up with food. I only feed with a solution around 1000 ppms. Good luck and have fun with the mg.

i wouldn't call mg "bomb soil" but it looks like its working for you, i would definatly use MG outdoors here anything is better than soild clay....

even though those plants look good they would be even better in some quality soil...

these are mine grown in the wal mart premimum soil called perfect mix then when i repotted I used wal mart soil for flowering plants, they are thriving but im sure they would look even better in some ocean forest or roots organic. i say from now on for me the weed is worth the extra 15 dollars on a bag of soil to grow the best weed possible.

Last edited:

chubbynugs

Registered Pothead
Veteran
Yeah you can mess your plants up using MG if you dont keep an eye on them. I use ffof though for my indoor. How much is ffof in your area for it to be 15 bucks more a bag norcal?

NorCalFor20

Smokes, lets go
Veteran
well wal mart soil is 5 $ for 1.5 cu foot and fox farm is 20 per 1.5 cu foot so i figure thats 15 more? or is it different in your area?

chubbynugs

Registered Pothead
Veteran
It costs 13.00 plus tax a bag down here. I thought it would be cheaper in norcal for some reason. I know you all can get black gold up there too and we cant get it down here.

Ulysses

If you are into Miracle Grow, the company makes a product called Miracle Grow Master Nursery soil- an organic blend of peat and coco amended with land bird guano...

$9/1cu bag if you can find it... I might run a few plants in this mix or cut it into recycled soil...

chubbynugs

Registered Pothead
Veteran
Ulysses said:
If you are into Miracle Grow, the company makes a product called Miracle Grow Master Nursery soil- an organic blend of peat and coco amended with land bird guano...

$9/1cu bag if you can find it... I might run a few plants in this mix or cut it into recycled soil...
Yeah i saw some of that at the store. I think i will get it for some more seedlings i got outside right now.

G

My first grow was with this stuff. It's quality for sure. I didn't add anything to it. It worked perfectly, straight out of the bag. You shouldn't have any problems with it.

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
I bought the MG Moisture Control Soil a while ago because my regular Promix was no where to be found at the time. I found it almost impossible to water as the water beaded on the top of the soil like a finely waxed car does when it rains. Other than the problem of first watering, it seemed to work okay after the soil was finally moist. I think it was because the soil was bone dry when I opened it and had no moisture left in it at all. Probably all soil would have this problem if bone dry. If I were to use it again I would mix lots of Perlite with it. Other than those two problems I encountered I would think it would be okay stuff to use.

TGT

Last edited:

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
personally i think MG soil is Crap so are the MG ferts thier missing micro/macro nutrients
home depot supersoil is better. i only use fox farm ocean forrest organic soil and organic ferts not FF line

FFOF soil bag is 15$ where i live and well worth the money spent

ive been usen FFOF soil 3 yrs now love it :rasta:

i grow some crazy chit in 1 gal bags

Last edited:

chubbynugs

Registered Pothead
Veteran
TGT said:
I bought the MG Moisture Control Soil a while ago because my regular Promix was no where to be found at the time. I found it almost impossible to water as the water beaded on the top of the soil like a finely waxed car does when it rains. Other than the problem of first watering, it seemed to work okay after the soil was finally moist. I think it was because the soil was bone dry when I opened it and had no moisture left in it at all. Probably all soil would have this problem if bone dry. If I were to use it again I would mix lots of Perlite with it. Other than those two problems I encountered I would think it would be okay stuff to use.

TGT
Yeah it tends to bead up. I splash them all real quick and wait like ten minutes to water them. They soak up the water after that. FFOF is the best though hands down. But MG works if you gotta use it.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Yeah I usually go with ffof too, for dumbass reason the local grow store stopped carryin it and replaced it with some bullshit Agnatural they sell for 15 bucks a bag and its bullshit, so I had ta try somethin new..

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
So far this shit workin cool..
Heres some clones I put in it:
PICT0105-2.jpg

PICT0106-2.jpg

And this Strawberry cough is the fastest re-veg I ever seen, Done in this soil..
PICT0107-2.jpg

Not too bad for some cheap MG soil heh?

Skrappie

I use it outdoors with my corn. I got 18 stalks in a 30 gallon container. Watering is never an issue, does not bead up. Stays moist in the black container with 90 degree Midwest temps beating down on it daily.

The only issue I've had with it is not being able to absolutely control the feedings for the corn. Got a little burn issue with the first few leaves, but it works just fine.

I'm sure you can use it on MJ just fine if you are light with feeding. All almost any plant wants in a medium is a loose place to spread some roots thats not a PH battleground.

chubbynugs

Registered Pothead
Veteran
Just make sure you dont feed with high ppms for a couple weeks man and that shit should work great for ya.

Latest posts

Latest posts