What's new

Minions of the Dark

SG1

Goblin Master
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm sure it was just luck that I picked #9 :biggrin:

No I don't have any left, ran all that I got to pop. I got two nice plants from them but they didn't make the cut after the cure on them. Was good smoke but not the stand outs that I thought they were going to be. They had great taste but not much smell and the high was just middle of the road so to speak.

They can't all be winners but wish I had got one that is for sure.
Looks like I will have to wait for PDP 2.0 to find my keeper.:biggrin:

My soils were out of balance while running most of the GDP's
I added a pure amended peat mix and mixed into my old soil.
Kicking ass now.

BUT! Good growers learn from every mistake, search for causes, fix um as best as you can, move on.

We keep moving forward, though most new breeders would have stopped with the original Dark breedings and quit from the embarrassment :wtf:

Shit is getting better, utilizing labs instead of my opinions.
Trashing the crap, keeping the best.
Only the seeds from the best female, whether GDP or purps will be kept.
PDP 2.0 will be done right, and with better stock.
I'm on a mission :hotbounce

SG1

Goblin Master
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If the first run of testing is any indication.... I cant wait for the PDP 2.0's

We gotta have stable reg seeds to continue the line.
Need swinging Johnson's to rape the girls properly.

I really wanna work this project, good potential for something special.

The fems where quite good, keeps the carrot in front of my dunkey face. :biggrin:

HillBilly1

Veteran
What do you guys know about Dead mans foot? The Boss
is telling me its the same shit thats in mycorrhizae and i should
see if it works. She found a huge one today as big as a basketball

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
the ole dog turd fungus.... lol its an ecto, not an endo like we're lookin for... commonly used in trees...

3Deez

Hey Sea, I have a stupid question....Doesn't your Venus Fly Trap EAT your good bugs too??? LOL I used to have a couple of those back in the 70's & hand fed the li'l buggers...it was quite interesting...what is the benefit to having them in your garden? Or are they there just for fun....

~Sun~ HIGH Dummy! Again I thought of you while I was at the River!!! But was sooooooo busy moving my Mom's Life to Colorado, I had no time for anything else....I did get to jump into My River each evening after a day of packing/moving...felt wonderful & not a jet ski in sight...you must have warned them, didn't you....LMAO!

Hey Sunny!
Glad to see that you got some time on the water. Things have been super busy on my also. Been taking advantage of the cooler weather though. High 80s low 90s feels great for this area. Even my vegetables are coming to life!

3Deez

Ravnus day 50 (60 days from the flip). This girl is no where near done. She gets more and more chunky too!

Attachments

• 20141019_212722.jpg
    20141019_212722.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20141019_212818.jpg
    20141019_212818.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20141019_212714.jpg
    20141019_212714.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20141019_212651.jpg
    20141019_212651.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20141019_212623.jpg
    20141019_212623.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 6
I'm lovin' the color of your Ravnus, Triple D!! Bee-U-Tif-Full....speaking of colors...I was able to snap a few picks of the 8000 ft Experiment plant while harvesting...not a good yield (wasn't looking for one!!), but now I know it can be done from seed to harvest...All I have to do is "tweak" how it's done for my area & at this altitude...Have a plan already forming for the spring & looking forward to giving it another shot!! Look at the purty colors....LOL

~:whee:~ Good Morning!

Attachments

• BB purple leaves #1 (800x600).jpg
    BB purple leaves #1 (800x600).jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 8000ft BBaby Bud (800x600).jpg
    8000ft BBaby Bud (800x600).jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 8

3Deez

That's a very pretty bud Sunny! I'm glad it worked out for you. Pretty cool to know that you can grow these gals at those temps! I hope she smokes nice for ya. Certainly looks like she will. Btw, those fan leaves look nice enough to be part of a fall table arrangement!

MrTea

some guy
Veteran
What Sea said....lovely autumn colors on those. Miso happy everyone could finish their harvests on time this year. Frost came wayyyy too early last year. Still waiting on our tomatoes to finish up...meanwhile we were gifted 59lbs of romas......medicated pasta sauce anyone?

Last edited:

MrTea

some guy
Veteran
Making cinnamon nutmeg maple bacon caramel with Halo2x trim and popcorn nugs. Smells out of this world....about to get blitzed.

EDIT: Blitzed was an understatement. 1/4 oz of trim and nugs went into 15 pieces of caramel…..Most of the caramel is already gone and so am i.

:dance:

Last edited:

SG1

Goblin Master
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great read
Saved it to my library.
Scientists are gonna have fun with legal cannabis researching.
The medicinal uses will be countless.

MrTea

some guy
Veteran
That's some heavy reading sea lol. This is for you...
Ashratu1 is a male. Awesome lateral branching structure and vigor.
Ashratu2 &3...2 is the same age as 3 but is on it's 5th node while 3 is only on it's 3rd.....god it better be a fem.

Ashratu4 &5...not a whole lot of vigor or any lateral branching. Much differently structuredthan #1.

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
Further edited and updated...

The Major Terpenes of Cannabis Resin and Their Effects

THC activates the CB2 receptor, which regulates immune function and the peripheral nervous system. But this is not the reason people feel stoned when they smoke marijuana; instead, what causes the high is THC binding to the CB1 receptor, which is concentrated in the brain and the central nervous system.

Stimulating the CB2 receptor doesn’t have a psychoactive effect because CB2 receptors are localized predominantly outside the brain and central nervous system. CB2 receptors are present in the gut, spleen, liver, heart, kidneys, bones, blood vessels, lymph cells, endocrine glands, and reproductive organs. Marijuana is such a versatile medicinal substance because it acts everywhere, not just in the brain.

In 2008, the Swiss scientist Jürg Gertsch documented beta-caryophyllene’s binding affinity for the CB2 receptor and described it as “a dietary cannabinoid.” It is the only terpenoid known to directly activate a cannabinoid receptor (which is one of the reasons why green, leafy vegetables are very healthy for people to eat). The dual status of beta-caryophyllene as a terpenoid and a CB2 activator underscores the synergistic interplay between various components of the cannabis plant. There are over 400 chemical compounds in marijuana, including cannabinoids, terpenoids and flavonoids (which give fruit skin its color). Each has specific medicinal attributes, which combine to create a holistic “entourage effect,” so that the therapeutic impact of the whole plant is greater than the sum of its parts.

Certain terpenoids dilate capillaries in the lungs, enabling smoked or vaporized THC to enter the bloodstream more easily. Nerolidol, a sedative terpenoid, is a skin penetrant that increases permeability and potentially facilitates cannabinoid absorption when applied topically for pain or skin conditions. Terpenoids and cannabinoids both increase blood flow, enhance cortical activity and kill respiratory pathogens – including MSRA, the antibiotic-resistant bacteria that in recent years has claimed the lives of tens of thousands of Americans. Dr. Russo’s article reports that cannabinoid-terpenoid interactions “could produce synergy with respect to treatment of pain, inflammation, depression, anxiety, addiction, epilepsy, cancer, fungal, and bacterial infections.”

Marijuana’s bouquet of terpenes – that “riot of perfumes,” as the poet (and hashish eater) Arthur Rimbaud once said – plays another important role: Terpenes buffer THC’s tricky psychoactivity. Cannabinoid terpenoid interactions can amplify the beneficial effects of cannabis while reducing THC-induced anxiety.

Some people can’t handle THC dominant marijuana, while others enjoy the relaxed intensity of the cannabis high. But few would willingly choose Marinol, the pure synthetic-THC pill, rather than organically grown backyard bud with its tangy, antioxidant-rich mixture of cannabinoids, terpenoids and flavonoids.

Marinol, legally available as a Schedule III substance, comes on like gangbusters and can make even the most seasoned stoner feel a bit too loopy. For nearly everyone who has tried both, the experience of THC alone compares poorly to that of THC combined with terpenes and other components of the cannabis plant.

It's not just about THC.

Marijuana is a mix of many different compounds. Most of them fall into three categories: cannabinoids, terpenoids, and flavanoids. Each of these compounds can significantly modify the therapeutic benefits of the plant. There are hundreds of different chemical combinations each producing a different effect. This is a general breakdown of a few of the more common ones...

Limonene is a precursor to the synthesis of other cannabinoids. It is found in cannabis resin as well as tropical fruit rinds and many other fruits and flowers. It is the second, third or fourth most prevalent terpene in almost all cannabis resins. Everyone is familiar with the odor of citrus resins. They explode into the air when a fruit is peeled. The exact order is determined by the structure of the terpene. Plants use Limonene to repulse predators. For instance, flies have a group of receptors similar in function to the taste buds on our tongues. One of them detects noxious chemicals, and responds to Limonene as if it were toxic. This is hard wired into the flies brain.
Limonene is an anti-bacterial, anti fungal and anti cancer agent. It inhibits the ras cancer gene cascade, which promotes tumor growth. It is used to synergistically promote the absorbtion of other terpenes by penetrating cell membranes. Limonene sprays are also used to treat depression. Since Limonene is such a potent anti-fungal and anti-cancer agent. The presence of this anti fungal agent may be helpful in protecting against Aspergillus infection in those with compromised immunity when using spoiled or poorly cured marijuana and any carcinogens that might be found in the cannabis smoke from chemicals used during growth. Limonene has been used clinically to dissolve gallstones, improve mood and relieve heartburn and gastrointestinal reflux. Limonene has been shown to destroy breast-cancer cells in lab experiments, and its powerful antimicrobial action can kill pathogenic bacteria.
In humans, Limonene's design facilitates a direct response by quickly permeating the blood-brain barrier. The result is increased systolic blood pressure. One test, reported subjective alertness and restlessness. Various Limonene analogs can cue the brain to sexuality, buoyancy, or focused attention. Since Limonene is known to affect the permeability of the cell membranes, it allows more THC to reach brain cells and increases the absorption of other terpenes.

Myrcene is the most prevalent terpene found in most varieties of marijuana but it is not found in hemp. Myrcene is present in significant concentrations in cannabis resin itself. It is also found in mango, hops, lemon grass, East Indian bay tree, and verbena. Because of its appealing fragrance, myrcene is used extensively in the perfume industry. Myrcene appears in small amounts in the essential oils of many other plants. Its odor is variously described as clove like, earthy, green-vegatative, citrus, fruity with tropical mango and minty nuances (In fact, myrcene is found in large qauntities in cavalo, rosa, espada, and paulista mangos). The various odors are the result of slight differences in the overall makeup. All of these flavors and odors are commonly used to describe Cannabis.
Myrcene has a modulating effect on the binding of Cannabinoid agonist drugs as Cannabidiol, possibly reducing effects of Cannabis resin that are found to be unpleasant for some medical users. It has anti microbial, anti septic, analgesic, anti oxidant, anti carcinogen (It blocks the actions of cytochrome, aflatoxin B and other pro-mutagens that are implicated in carcinogenesis.) and anti-inflammatory properties. It has shown some promise when used as an anti depressant, or as an additive to other anti depressant drugs and is also used in massage therapy as a muscle relaxer.
Myrcene is a synergist of THC: A combination of the two molecules creates a stronger experience than THC alone. Myrcene affects the permeability of the cell membranes, thus it may allow more THC to reach brain cells and increase the absorption of other terpenes. This musky terpene contributes mightily to the infamous “couch-lock” experience.

Linalool is a terpenoid prominent in lavender as well as in some cannabis strains. It has a floral scent reminiscent of spring flowers such as lily of the valley, but with spicy overtones. It is refined from lavender, neroli, and other essential oils. Humans can detect its odor at rates as low as one part per million in the air.
Linalool is being tested now for treatment of several types of cancer. It is also a component of several sedating essential oils including lavender oil which is believed to possess anti anxiety and sedative properties. In tests on humans who inhaled it, it caused severe sedation. In tests on lab rats it reduced there activity by almost 75%. In addition to being an anxiolytic compound that counters anxiety and mediates stress, linalool is a strong anticonvulsant, and it also amplifies serotonin-receptor transmission, conferring an antidepressant effect. Applied topically, linalool can heal acne and skin burns without scarring.
Strains that are high in linalool may be particularly beneficial for patients who experience insomnia due to their sedating effects.

Caryophylene is a major terpene found in black pepper, clove and cotton. It is found in smaller %'s in many other green, leafy vegetables, herbs, and spices. It has a sweet, woody and dry clove odor and tastes pepper spicy with camphor and astringent citrus backgrounds. Caryophylene contributes to black pepper's spiciness. Caryophylene oil is also used industrially to enhance tobacco flavor.
Caryophylene, given in high amounts, is a calcium and potassium ion channel blocker. As a result, it impedes the pressure excerted by heart muscles. As a topical it is analgesic and is one of the active constituents that makes clove oil, a preferred treatment for toothache.
It does not seam to be involved in mood change, however caryophyllene shows great promise in a salve or lotion as a therapeutic compound for inflammatory conditions and autoimmune disorders because of its ability to bind directly to the peripheral cannabinoid receptor known as CB2.
Drug dogs are trained to specifically sniff out caryophylene epoxide, a similar compound to that produced only by cannabis.

Pinene is the familiar odor associated with pine trees and their resins. It is the major component in turpentine and is found in many other plant essential oils in noticeable amounts including rosemary, sage, and eucalyptus. Many additional plant oils contain pinene.
Pinene is used medically as an expectorant, and topical antiseptic. It easily crosses the blood-brain barrier where it acts as a acetylcholinesterase inhibitor; that is, it inhibits activity of a chemical that destroys an information transfer molecule. This results in better memory. Pinene also promotes alertness and memory retention. Largely due to the presence of pinene, rosemary and sage are both considered "memory plants." Concoctions made from their leaves have been used for thousands of years in traditional medicine to retain and restore memory.
Pinene is thought to enhance butyl seleno-mercaptan in true skunk varieties, the ones that stink like the animal. It is also a bronchodilator. The smoke seems to expand in your lungs and the high comes on very quickly since a high percentage of the substance will pass into the bloodstream and brain. It also increases focus, self satisfaction and energy, which generally counteracts with the presence of terpineol.

Terpineol is a minor component of Cannabis resin, used extensively in the perfume industry. Terpineol has a lilac, citrus or apple blossom/lime odor. However, Terpineol is often found in cannabis with high pinene levels. Its odor is very often masked by the pungent woodsy aromas of pinene.
It is a minor constituent of many plant essential oils. It is also used in soaps for fragrance.
Terpineol is obtained commercially from processing other turpines. It reduces motillity- the capability for movement- by 45% in lab rat tests. This may account for the couchlock effects of some cannabis although it is not usually associated with body highs.

Cineole is the main ingredient in oil of eucalyptus. Eucalyptus oil is considered centering, balancing and stimulating. Cineole has a camphor-minty odor. It is also found in other fragrant plants and in minor amounts in marijuana. It is used to increase circulation, and reduce pain and swelling when applied topically. Cineole readily crosses the blood/brain barrier, possibly helping other cannabinoids to cross more readily as well. The effects of cineole, when combined with oral or smoked Cannabis, are reported as being very uplifting, noticeably increasing mental and physical energy. This terpene, or others like it, may be responsible for the reported difference in effect between indica and sativa strains with a similar cannabinoid profile. Cineole is most likely the stimulating and thought provoking part of the cannabis smoke.

Borneol is a major component of cannabis resin that can also be found in cinnamon and wormwood (Artemesia spp). In Chinese medicine herbs containing borneol are recommended for fatigue and overstress. Borneal is considered a "calming sedative" in chinese medicine. It is directed for fatigue, recovery from illness and stress.
Borneol smells much like the menthol aroma of camphor and is easily converted into it. It is found in small quantities in many essential oils. Comercially it is derived from artemisia plants such as wormwood and some species of cinnamon.

Delta-3-Carene has a sweet pungent odor. It is a constituent of pine and cedar resin but is found in many other plants including rosemary. In aroma therapy, cypress oil, high in D-3-carene, is used to dry excess fluids, tears, running noses, excess menstrual flow and perspiration. It is thought to be at least partially responsible for the dry mouth and eye problems that are common side effects experienced by some marijuana users.

Pulegone has a minty-camphor odor and flavor that is used in the candy industry. It is implicated in liver damage in very high dosages. It is found in tiny quantities in marijuana. Pulegone is an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor. Thus, it stops the action of the protein that destroys acetylcholine, which is used by the brain to store memories. It may counteract THC's activity, which leads to low acetylcholine levels. The result is that you would forget more on THC alone than you would on THC accompanied by pulegone.

The main differences between terpene profiles of evaluated strains belonging to the two principal biotypes are:

‘mostly indica’ strains were characterized by dominancy of β-myrcene, present in high relative contents, with limonene or α-pinene as second most abundant terpenoid

‘mostly sativa’ strains were characterized by more complex terpene profiles, with some strains having α-terpinolene or α-pinene as dominant terpenoid, and some strains having β-myrcene as dominant terpenoid with α-terpinolene or trans-β-ocimene as second most abundant terpenoid.

Breeding for specific terpenoids in plants is a fascinating research topic; in fact, the various biological activities of these compounds make the analysis of terpenoids a valuable tool for improving a considerable number of traits in cultivars of Cannabis.
Testing for these terpines is like making a recipe-book for a Chef de Cusine.
They tell you what are the ingredients in the preparation, and in which quantities those ingredients are employed.
Every Chef will create a slightly different dish, based on many variables because this is both a mathematical science as well as an art.

The “Entourage effect” of Cannabis.
The clinical contribution of cannabinoids different than THC, terpenoids and flavonoids to clinical cannabis effects has been espoused as an “entourage effect” (Mechoulam and Ben-Shabat 1999). While THC remains the most psychoactive compound found in Cannabis, all other substances present in the plant (in particular cannabinoids, terpenoids and flavonoids) also have unique properties that will ultimately influence the effects that Cannabis has on us.

Many times patients using Cannabis as medicine have reported that a specific plant genetic seems to have better therapeutic properties on them than other ones available. When compared, those Cannabis varieties had similar cannabinoid profile (content of cannabinoids such as THC and CBD). So if the difference is not in the cannabinoid content, we’ll need to investigate the “entourage” of other substances present in the plant to explain the difference perceived by patients. Definitely a long road ahead, especially because the “cocktail” of substances present in Cannabis is so varied and complex.

Taming THC: Potential Cannabis Synergy and Phytocannabinoid-Terpenoid Entourage Effects
Ethan Russo MD
British Journal of Pharmacology
http://cannabisclinicians.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Russo-Entourage-Effect-2011.pdf

The inheritance of chemical phenotype in Cannabis sativa L. (IV): cannabinoid-free plants
E. P. M. de Meijer K. M. Hammond
A. Sutton
http://www.csatc.org/linksofinterest/deMeijer20092.pdf

Terpenoids for medicine
Justin Fischedick
Leiden University
https://openaccess.leidenuniv.nl/bitstream/handle/1887/20608/04.pdf?sequence=23

http://cannabisclinicians.org/complete-archives/

Does anyone have anything to add about specific terpenes and their effects? this is not a comprehensive list....

MrTea

some guy
Veteran
Took 5 cuts from Ashratu #1 6 days ago….scraped the stalks with my never-been-cleaned pruning scissors, put them in rapid rooters with bathtub water and potassium silicate……and Viola!

Nice job, Sea.

Going to flower one of these clones before i flower the "papa" -- i hope i'm wrong about that. Fingers crossed, everyone send me good juju.

Latest posts

Latest posts