What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Minimum amount of light to keep mother plant in veg until its naturally time to flower.

grod31

Veteran
I my experience this will hermie them, a low light for 6hrs of the dark will do, it doesn't need to be 600w, a 20w bulb will do.
What part will hermie them the fact thatits 20 mins?
would 45 mins do it? an hour?

For years I have run my lights from 4 am to 12 at night. I am trying to avoid the lights on when people are going to bed.
This year I am running my light from 6-8:30 than an hour 3-4 AM.

plants went out last night on the above schedule. wish me luck
1713269486603.png

1713269455654.png

mudballs

Screenshot_20240416-073848_Chrome.jpg

Just remember cannabis flowering system is localized, meaning a branch that does not receive enough light will begin to flower while other parts of the plant will stay in veg.

mudballs

why we can induce flowering on a branch in the veg room by covering it with a brown paper bag

for 12/12 :)

all the best and be safe

Dequilo
Another reason i don't get involved in hermi fights...never pics included, just text "shit hermi'd on me"...pick your battles they say...some minds i don't give a shit if they stay stupid

Dequilo

Plant Abuser
ICMag Donor
Veteran
420club
.some minds i don't give a shit if they stay stupid
a very sad fact of today's world :( I have grown bench crops for the Florist trade (flowers in pots) and we

would light and darken greenhouses as need to flower plants out of season

light a greenhouse for one hour at midnight you have a long day

darken a greenhouse for hour at noon you have along night

it is that easy
Another reason i don't get involved in hermi fights...
I agree with you on that :) if your plants Hermis most of the time it is their genetic predisposition

I will take photo period plants and will change their light cycle all over the place

they flower and reveg

I could be just a very luck grower :) but I think not....

all the best my friend and grow well

Dequilo

grod31

Veteran
that was just a shot at the end of long day of moving shit around.
The light is better situated now and the clones and shit are in other tents

Dequilo

Plant Abuser
ICMag Donor
Veteran
420club
so what about and hour from 3-4?
I have a small greenhouse of sort and have put plants out in with lights, what I did was add

light at the beginning and end of the day for them

the hour of light or darkness must be in the middle of the their day or night

I drop my plants in the ground May 4th here at 42.8 N in New York they will flower a bit

and reveg as the days gets longer

makes for a bigger bush for me :) I do it how I do it because that is what I have found works

for me

all the best and here is to a great 2024 Season

Dequilo

Dime

I think there are more factors at play than light cycle duration that provoke them to flower ex: if the natural light is increasing(the season beginning) they will sense that and vice versa ,the latter would need supplemental light the former may not once they adjust. It can also be strain dependent, I had c99 flower continuously after I put them out running 24/0 in the house and ak47 went back to veg

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
I want to put mother plants outside in a greenhouse that stays above 50. Whats the minimum I can run the lights to keep them from flowering? Is one hour in the middle of the night good enough? 20 mins? i would prefer to not run an 18+ hour light cycle while they are outside.
Honestly strain dependant. But 16 plus hours is a safe bet for most plants. Very sativa plants will always start preflowering about 5 weeks from rooted clone in my experience. Just like they started from seed. They don't fully flower but if you're trying to get branches you will want to keep topping and or transplanting. Otherwise will just grow up no branching.

Dime

I think a lot of people are ina hurry and flower their plants too early instead of waiting for them to mature and this increases the incidence of hermaphrodism.

Dime

I didn't mean you, I just meant in general, people have hermie issues because they put plants on a flower cycle before they are ready