What's new

mini split not cooling like it use to??

the gnome

Veteran
Hello everyone!

gnome - I would not recommend spraying your evaporator coil with H2O2. The fins are aluminum and you could risk oxidizing/rotting them away. If you make a habit of it I can promise you they will deteriorate quickly. If you do I would also wash it afterwards thoroughly with plain H2O, which is often a PITA with the wall mounted evaporator... I would suggest the evaporator cleaner that foams and therefore pushes debris OUT. Its also a good idea to hit it with a shop vac if its SUPER caked. This is what you want...
http://www.grainger.com/product/2RZW3?cm_mmc=PPC:GooglePLAC-_-HVAC%20and%20Refrigeration-_-A/C%20Refrigeration-_-2RZW3&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=2RZW3&gclid=CKu90e7Bw8ECFahr7AodU1EA_g
When it comes to sealed rooms, standard split systems are preferable. The reason being airflow over the squirrel cage and limited available pre evaporator coil filtration options. The very problem you are experiencing...
When build up occurs obvious CFM loss occurs. But most growers don't realize how MUCH that effects the performance and efficiency of an A/C system. The evaporator coil will almost always end up freezing which will drastically limit or completely stop all cooling.
Usually a flood occurs (if your condensate drain pan is not clear) after the unit shuts off and the ice melts. This can also result in compressor short cycling which could lead to burnout. Bad news.

IMVHO a standard ducted split system you will not have that problem. The pipe penetration for refrigeration is the same size as a ductless split. Indoor cooling section of unit can be hung from ceiling. Ducting is still optional. And air filtration options are endless...

4 inch thick HEPA rated replaceable...
http://www.pricechef.com/product.asp?itemid=41&gclid=CNeymu6_w8ECFUMV7Aod1jQAwQ

UV mold spore control...
http://www.supplyhouse.com/Honeywel...l-12578000-p?gclid=CKWIyvy8w8ECFcNQ7AodBW4ALA

Also. Cost of equipment for a standard split A/C system is significantly less than ductless splits. Dehumidification ability is slightly higher with the standard split system and can additional dehumidification can be easily added...

http://www.zoro.com/i/G4475721/?utm...hopping_Feed&gclid=CPak296mw8ECFQ8R7AodXmoAQg

Don't be afraid of ductwork. It is easy and a valuable tool. It gives us precise control over movement of air, which is very NICE...

I agree and wouldn't advocate using an oxidizer like H2o2 on alum either for the same reason,
but its fine on the tube blower which is some kind of composite material.

I'd have to differ on std. split systems being preferable.
and it's a very subjective blanket statement on your part i don't see how you can back up.
many variables can figure into deciding which to use.
the larger the room the more desirable the std sys. becomes.

pros-n-cons on both sides of what to pick tho.
as said above regular cleaning of the blower and filters isn't a big deal and my specific prob was an exception not the rule as you can see by the lack of people posting mold growing to the point of stopping airflow or as you said effecting efficiency which in the case of mini splits I see a much high seer rating and the inverter compressor technology make them very cheap to run.

also another **prime reason** if not the most important mini splits are preferrable to the smaller-mid sized residential grows is the extremely low noise factor... having your AC condenser unit running near constant year round gives neighbors a big reason to be thinking too much.
a standard sys. cannot even begin to compare in this dept.
of course I can't pull stats out on how many use mini splits or std split sys. but I'll wager very few std. sys. are used compared to mini split systems in use by member that frequent gro sites
like IC RIU etc etc
a quick search in this forum will tell this by looking at the number of people installing mini's and how few are doing otherwise.

personally a std. split ac is the only way to go for larger grows.

btw...living in the very hot-n-humid deep south and doing repair work for a living all my life i can say condensate lines and drain pans can and will plug up on a std. ac as well as a mini split.

theother

I agree that minis are gonna meet the needs of most gardens. The high seer low noise really is all you need to know lol. One of my biggest problems with them is the lack of a programable thermostat, going mitsu from now on so I can add one.

Gnome how steady does your mitsu hold temps when it's operating correctly? I have an off brand air con type unit and it does it's job amazingly well but it absolutely lets the room walks around a few degrees here and there for short periods of time. I'm learning to deal with it though, if I have it set at 77 it will spend 95+% of it's time there but will occasionally be as low as 75 for a minute or as high as 81 for a minute, then back to 77. It's not bad but it's not perfect, I would really love to never waiver. I think mine walks around though because the lamps are air cooled and the heat load changes slightly as the air temp changes through the lamps.

the gnome

Veteran
my room is 20ft long x 14' wide
my mini is set on the 14'wall.
it's warmer at the back wall by 4deg.
but now, i'm running 6--> 4ft parabolics so they run interference with the airflow but i have 6--> 16" eco plus fans so they really help keeping airflow circulating.
your going to have hot spots regardless in places like corners, directly under the head unit.
setting your vert and lateral vanes in occillation mode help.

I'm learning to deal with it though, if I have it set at 77 it will spend 95+% of it's time there but will occasionally be as low as 75 for a minute or as high as 81 for a minute, then back to 77. It's not bad but it's not perfect, I would really love to never waiver.

also getting a good fan or two and placing it in the right place will get rid of a lot of probs.
but realistically running thousands of watts your will have hot spots, but it's very manageable ime

Ive dropped the para's 2ft off the floor, lites on and it's around 2deg from set temp at the back of the room.
since Ive installed my backup unit temps are on the money but i still have warm
spots in the corners, but I'm not growing close to the corners soooo....
all in all I'm happy

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Well it looks like I'll be trying out this handheld steam cleaner to keep my split clean.

RE-VS-PRON-175.jpg

http://www.reliablecorporation.com/...rs/Pronto-100CH-Steam-Cleaner-Garment-Steamer

ceosam

any news on this? my mini has mold in it, I clean it often but it always comes back... I cannot clone in the room now, they always rot..

BIGfarmer

I agree there is no one system good for or above all.

Each application has its most efficient way to skin a cat...

I think the planning of a 12KW room that day and deciding to use a standard split had me listing all of the pros for my application.

Good conversation to have though...