What's new

mini split cooling, but not 100%

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not something I'm accustom to doing but Hey this is different. It's not a good idea to pass along how to charge an 410a system over the net to someone that is not a tech and doesn't understand how these things work. But maybe I can keep you from harm by helping you out :smoke: evilme2 is pretty sharp on these things and has not given you bad advice. :D
That IS great advice. Now I don't need to rely on the gauge that came with the coolant tank, since I have my yellow jacket 410a gauge set. I'll check this tomorrow. Thanks

edit - my 2nd coolant refill tank is on the way, it should get here by mid/late week.

CannaBunkerMan

Enormous Member
Veteran
This thread would have cut a month off of my install time, if it were out there for me to study. I think that it's too bad that certain professions require the "secret handshake" in order to get any information. Everyone in this thread has been great, though. That's why I gave everyone who helped positive feedback.

If it weren't for the fucked up legal situation of MJ, I would call in a tech. Prohibition has forced be to become a jack of all trades. After spending close to $1000 on specialty HVAC tools, I WISH I could throw up my hands and call in a tech. Unfortunately, my only options are either to slumble along, or cut my losses and recover what costs I can.

I know I'm not alone out there, as the OP proved to me. Maybe this thread will keep a future DIY knucklehead from hurting himself. Information is power. If we are upfront with the difficulties, it might also help someone without the wherewithall to complete this job to understand that this AC install might be over their DIY head.

I'm bitching, but the information in this thread is saving my sanity. Thank you!

dankohzee

I just went through 2 ideal air mini split systems in as many weeks. I'm not sure what brand of DIY ac you got, but the one that ideal air is selling is known industry wide as total junk and the technique they use to make it a DIY doesn't seem very good. I had the same problem as you on the first one. The second one, the circuit board burned out in a few hours.

I was in the same position as you. Except for me, I knew I had to get out from under the shitty machine before doing anything. My hydro store gave me a refund and I went back to school on ACs.

You want a reliable AC system that can be repaired by any technician without him ever coming to your house? Don't get a mini split. Dont get a portable AC. Get a portable industrial spot cooler. Theyre designed to work under very extreme conditions of super high heat. True, they need to be ducted, but the ducting is to cool the machine only. It (fresh air) goes in and out and never enters your room or pulls from your room. They're fucking awesome.

Can't afford one? Oh yes you can. If you're lucky enough to find this site:http://www.etopp.com/used-cooling.html

No, I am not a salesman, just super impressed with these machines. They don't break down--ever. Its what the government and military uses to handle their portable cooling needs.

Mia

Just threw down a lot of money on a mr. slim today.
Seems pretty straight forward-hook up line set,hook up electrical, pull vacuum on line set, make sure there's no leaks, open valves let refrigerant go.
Only thing that worried me was when I was talking to sales guy he says "sometimes they dump freon at factory out of unit...it's hit and miss...I've had customers call up and tell me there was no refrigerant..etc.etc."
Called back to ask another question and asked different guy he says 95% of time they have the refrigerant.
Seemed kind of shoddy as far as quality control goes especially considering they advertise the units as coming with the refrigerant. Don't know if sales dudes were just dumb or whatever but didn't seem that way.
Guess I'll find out soon enough.....
Anyways, good thread.

dankohzee

At least the mr slim is a good, quality product.

My ac guy told me the same thing. depending on whether the unit was manufactured on a monday or friday (sarcasm) they may or may not have enough refrigerant in them. The guy making them assumes they will be hooked up by e tech who has a tank of refrigerant, so who cares if theres as much as there should be, right?

The refrigerant isn't hermetically sealed, like in a spot cooler. It can come out, obviously.

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Another thing I forgot to mention is that helium is better to use than nitrogen for leak checking. It has a smaller molecule structure and will leak out faster. If you use vacuum to leak check you must be absolute sure you pull a good vacuum after you are absolutely sure you have no leaks. Pulling a vacuum in a system that has the smallest leak will introduce moisture to the system creating an acid in the freon and destroying your system over time.
Part of the secret hand shake is this type of field takes "years" to learn, and not much of it can be read anywhere. The lab is an ideal place to write text books and manuals.
But I'm here to help none the less :smoke:

P.S.
No sarcasm intended :D

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
I just went through 2 ideal air mini split systems in as many weeks. I'm not sure what brand of DIY ac you got, but the one that ideal air is selling is known industry wide as total junk and the technique they use to make it a DIY doesn't seem very good. I had the same problem as you on the first one. The second one, the circuit board burned out in a few hours.

I was in the same position as you. Except for me, I knew I had to get out from under the shitty machine before doing anything. My hydro store gave me a refund and I went back to school on ACs.

You want a reliable AC system that can be repaired by any technician without him ever coming to your house? Don't get a mini split. Dont get a portable AC. Get a portable industrial spot cooler. Theyre designed to work under very extreme conditions of super high heat. True, they need to be ducted, but the ducting is to cool the machine only. It (fresh air) goes in and out and never enters your room or pulls from your room. They're fucking awesome.

Can't afford one? Oh yes you can. If you're lucky enough to find this site:http://www.etopp.com/used-cooling.html

No, I am not a salesman, just super impressed with these machines. They don't break down--ever. Its what the government and military uses to handle their portable cooling needs.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe in order for these units not to suck out grow room air/smell/co2 they not only need their 14" output ducted out, but they also need a large 14" intake duct IN as well. They are some pretty large holes required to allow these units to work properly. Maybe not all units are like this but I saw a video detailing one of these "spot" coolers before and the guy brought up the intake flange/adapter later in the video to prevent the unit from pulling room air.

dankohzee

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe in order for these units not to suck out grow room air/smell/co2 they not only need their 14" output ducted out, but they also need a large 14" intake duct IN as well. They are some pretty large holes required to allow these units to work properly. Maybe not all units are like this but I saw a video detailing one of these "spot" coolers before and the guy brought up the intake flange/adapter later in the video to prevent the unit from pulling room air.

You're almost exactly right, good buddy. The brand I use requires 12 in and 12 out if it is placed inside the room. It can also be place outside the room and pipe the cool in. They're machinery--not for everyone, but they don't have the same issues as these mini splits. Sorry to get off topic.