What's new

Might be better to just haul ass if confronted

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Nope, not law enforcement. I just live in the mountains, know firearms, and deal with reality. I've also known the Melo family for about 25 years, so perhaps that has a bearing on my thoughts. Even without that, I have never thought that the rights of a perpetrator outweighed the rights of his victims.

By perpetrator / predator you mean the government correct?

By victim you mean the citizen denied his rights by gestapo thugs who shot first and asked questions later?

:joint:

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
By perpetrator / predator you mean the government correct?

By victim you mean the citizen denied his rights by gestapo thugs who shot first and asked questions later?

Oh yeah, that's exactly what I meant Hydro. (< This would be sarcasm). Do you even have the slightest idea of what happened or are you just getting ready for the usual rant on fascism?

qupee

Nope, not law enforcement. I just live in the mountains, know firearms, and deal with reality. I've also known the Melo family for about 25 years, so perhaps that has a bearing on my thoughts. Even without that, I have never thought that the rights of a perpetrator outweighed the rights of his victims.

I can understand how your personal knowledge of this affects your view point.

On the other hand, as stories like this (seem to) become more and more frequent, I am less and less able give any justification to the government.

The pendulum has swung much too far in their direction, to the detriment of us all.

It is far, far, far too easy for justification for this killing extending to a killing like, say, this one (in the eyes of LEO - i.e., "The law allows us to shoot a suspected felon, etc, etc"):

[YOUTUBEIF]WV6Bq8xeQrU[/YOUTUBEIF]

And beyond that, would he have killed anyone if he wasn't facing prison time for discovery of him growing marijuana and poppy? Of course we can't say, and maybe being a little nutso he would have.

But I'll be taking hardline attitude FOR the people for the foreseeable future.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
But I'll be taking hardline attitude FOR the people for the foreseeable future.

I agree completely and applaud your attitude. There has been a very scary direction taken by LE in the last few years. However, in this case, Bassler shot and killed a defenseless 69 year old man in front of an eyewitness. The eyewitness got away unharmed, but another person later apparently wasn't as fortunate. They were all long term residents of a very small community, so identification wasn't an issue. Even Bassler's father was unsurprised, he just condemned the lack of mental health care that had been available for his son. Bassler then disappeared for 5 weeks into terrain that would have been challenging for a special forces team, much less LEO. I don't see that there were many viable options for dealing with him.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Oh yeah, that's exactly what I meant Hydro. (< This would be sarcasm). Do you even have the slightest idea of what happened or are you just getting ready for the usual rant on fascism?

No I don't have the slightest idea what happened, because instead of having a trial paid killers set a 400 mile death zone and then executed the accused.

Now is when you tell me you were a personal eye witness and the government is really just a bunch of angles of mercy (<This would be sarcasm).

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
no one was justifying what he was accused of. it was known he was sick, but to put him down because they couldn't keep him on his meds?
yes he may have been a danger, but it was an execution...in this country!

these EOs, proficient themselves with weaponry, ambushed...a sick animal.

how brave...

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
no one was justifying what he was accused of. it was known he was sick, but to put him down because they couldn't keep him on his meds?
yes he may have been a danger, but it was an execution...in this country!

these EOs, proficient themselves with weaponry, ambushed...a sick animal.

how brave...

I didn't say that anyone was justifying his actions - I asked what other options were available to avoid this "execution". He had already killed two and tried for a third, and been running loose in some of the roughest terrain in the country for 5 weeks.....how could this have been handled without endangering a bunch more people? I'm not sure exactly when deer season starts in that zone, but it is in effect here right now. He had already shown himself to be willing to kill people that he encountered.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
i just don't know man.
not sure it could have been any different.
it's such stupid shit like this that brings Ruby Ridge, Waco and countless other encounters with LEO to mind. this is old and getting older.

travesties cannot be shrugged off so apathetically.

poor soul anyway, even his father had written him off already.

maxmurder

Veteran
I agree completely and applaud your attitude. There has been a very scary direction taken by LE in the last few years. However, in this case, Bassler shot and killed a defenseless 69 year old man in front of an eyewitness. The eyewitness got away unharmed, but another person later apparently wasn't as fortunate. They were all long term residents of a very small community, so identification wasn't an issue. Even Bassler's father was unsurprised, he just condemned the lack of mental health care that had been available for his son. Bassler then disappeared for 5 weeks into terrain that would have been challenging for a special forces team, much less LEO. I don't see that there were many viable options for dealing with him.

plus the sheriff said basslers dna was found at one of the murders. what if you lived in the area that guy was seen in video breaking into homes stealing guns, food and beer? or you were out of town working while your wife and kids were home alone?

B

BrnCow

Here it is...

Huge California manhunt ends with suspect's death
BETH DUFF-BROWN, Associated Press
Updated 11:57 a.m., Sunday, October 2, 2011

5 of 7
View: Larger | Hide

A surveillance photograph from a motion detection camera set up by the Mendocino SWAT team shows a man the Mendocino County Sheriff's Office believes to be Aaron Bassler, who appears to be holding an automatic weapon, breaking into a vacation cabin. The photo was released by the Mendocino County Sheriffs Office during a press conference in Fort Bragg on Monday, Sept. 26, 2011. Mendocino County Sheriff's Capt. Kurt Smallcomb said that authorities encountered 35-year-old Aaron Bassler on Thursday, Sept. 29, 2011. Photo: The Press Democrat, Christopher Chung / AP
A surveillance photograph from a motion detection camera set up by the Mendocino SWAT team shows a man the Mendocino County Sheriff's Office believes to be Aaron Bassler, who appears to be holding an automatic weapon, breaking into a vacation cabin. The photo was released by the Mendocino County Sheriffs Office during a press conference in Fort Bragg on Monday, Sept. 26, 2011. Mendocino County Sheriff's Capt. Kurt Smallcomb said that authorities encountered 35-year-old Aaron Bassler on Thursday, Sept. 29, 2011. Photo: The Press Democrat, Christopher Chung / AP

News
Comments (4)
Larger | Smaller
Printable Version
Email This
Font

FORT BRAGG, Calif. (AP) — The 7,000 residents of Fort Bragg can now relax after spending more than a month on edge while the area's largest manhunt in decades enveloped their coastal community about three hours north of San Francisco.

The massive operation came to a close when authorities shot and killed the subject of the search, a fugitive accused in the deaths of two area officials.

Elizabeth McNeill, who works as a clerk in an appliance store in downtown Fort Bragg, said she is feeling a sense of relief, "It's a sad situation, but now people can relax."

Aaron Bassler, 35, was shot seven times in an area of redwood forest about 6 miles east of Fort Bragg after being sniffed out by a bloodhound, said Mendocino County Sheriff Thomas Allman. Three members of the Sacramento County SWAT team were in the trees about 40 yards from Bassler when he came toward them on a timber trail.

Bassler was suspected of killing a city councilman in late August and a county land trust official several weeks before. Bassler was thought to be hiding out in the redwoods outside of Fort Bragg, breaking into several cabins and businesses to steal food and weapons.

Both of the men authorities say Bassler killed, Fort Bragg City Councilman Jere Melo and Mendocino County Land Trust officer Matthew Coleman, were well-regarded in the community.

"I just hope Jere's wife can get some closure," McNeill said.

The manhunt disrupted life in the area as law enforcement officials restricted forest use and told residents to stay out of their vacation cabins until Bassler was arrested.

Wanted posters offering a $30,000 reward for Bassler hung in the windows of most shops.

Chriss Zaida, who owns a clothing store in the area, heard celebration in the streets when news of Bassler's death spread.

"But I'm not high-fiving people," she said. "I have the utmost sympathy for his victims, but also for the law enforcement agents who had to do what they had to do. And I can't imagine what his family is going through."

Bassler's father, James Bassler, was not immediately available for comment. He has told The Associated Press that Aaron Bassler had undiagnosed mental illness and said he had tried unsuccessfully to get help for his son.

Authorities had been searching for Aaron Bassler since Aug. 27 when they say he shot and killed Melo, who with a co-worker was investigating reports of an illegal marijuana farm in his role as a security consultant for an area lumber company.

Melo's associate escaped and called for help, leading authorities to hundreds of poppy plants and a bunker where they say Aaron Bassler was holed up when he shot Melo, 69.

Officials had been confounded by Aaron Bassler's survival skills and ability to elude them in the 400-square-mile search perimeter. Authorities believe that during his time at-large, he broke into a half-dozen cabins in the woods to restock his food supplies.

"He's very savvy in the woods. He's proven to be very adept," said Sgt. Chad Lewis of the Sacramento County Sheriff's SWAT team.

Dozens of local, state and federal authorities scoured the forests near Fort Bragg, but Bassler eluded them for more than a month. Authorities got close to him Thursday, when they say he exchanged gunfire with Alameda County deputies. Authorities say Bassler was dressed in black and had a high-powered rifle that was seen in a surveillance photo taken last week, the same weapon they say he used to kill Melo, the same one they said he was carrying Saturday.

A break in the search came Friday when a shop owner told authorities his door had been kicked in and that ammunition, beer, food, two compasses and some boots had been stolen. A bloodhound from the Pomona Police Department named Willow and his handler, Pomona Police Officer Joe Hernandez, began tracking the burglar's scent, leading them to Bassler.

"I wish that this incident could have ended without another shot being fired," said Allman, the Mendocino County Sheriff. But, he added, "I fully support the manner in which this ended. There will be no more lives which will be endangered by Aaron Bassler."

Allman initially said Bassler raised his gun before the deputies fired. He later said the fugitive raised his rifle as he was falling from the gunfire. There had been no verbal exchange, but the sheriff said the deputies saw Bassler walking with his finger poised near the trigger before they fired.

The sheriff said Bassler's rifle was loaded with about 30 rounds, its safety off. He also noted that officials believe Bassler had already killed two people with the same weapon he was carrying on the trail and had shot at three sheriff's deputies days earlier.

"Any confrontation or contact with law enforcement agents was going to be lethal and deadly," Allman said, adding that law permits officers to shoot at a suspected felon under such circumstances.

B

BrnCow

Automatic weapon....was it semi automatic? The news media should have been more careful of their wording. There are several implications that were biased against the story. And , to me, that makes me suspect some LE bs going on. But LE can legally lie, have military weapons, steal suspects belongings and get by with it - including money and vehicles. I do not agree with letting crazed murderers run lose myself. I almost think that every murder except self defense and in defense of victims is done by someone crazy. But some LE seem to be getting blood thirsty and wanting bigger and more deadly weapons even if the constitution forbids it. Seems politicians are running things now as if there is no constitution..ever watch the gun show on tv where they make all sorts of custom weapons for LEOs? In the 1920, a person could get a Thompson machine gun delivered to their door for $125. Now they'll jail you almost for asking about one...But my real point was that maybe it would be a smarter decision to run rather than fight over plants.

S

SeaMaiden

I've been following this story since I first read about Melo's murder. Bassler's own parents are saying, and, this is key, have been saying that he's got serious mental health issues. They'd been trying to find a way to help him (when he would show up) but it was incredibly difficult. He just got shuffled through the criminal system. But when things really exploded in his brain, and none of us knows what his reality was, he became dangerous to everyone.

I'm no fan of bully tactics by law enforcement. If anyone here has been following the stuff going on with the city of Oakland's building services department, the grand jury report issued late last June, the thug tactics being used by Oakland CEDA, if anyone's read any of the articles that have been written about it, then you'll be familiar with the life one of my sisters has been living and how the city government, with the help of OPD, has essentially oppressed people and literally put them out of their homes. My sister's dog was shot almost one year ago by CHP. CHP let the clearly agitated dog out of the fenced and gated yard. The dog in question? A 40lb border collie, who was doing her job (herding him away from the house). It took him five shots, but even then he didn't kill her outright, she had to bleed out in the street.

The dog was no threat. Bassler most definitely was.

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Soooo, which one of you were in those woods calling out to warn him, since he deserved a luxury none of his victims got?

What do you suppose would have happened if you'd been wandering around in those woods calling for him? Assuming he heard you through dense trees 100's of yards away, do you think he'd have just come out and said, "Oh, my bad"?

Or do you suppose you'd be the main attraction at the newest crime scene?

He killed in front of an eye witnesses, and fired on officers previously. So they should have made themselves clearer targets?

Would you have sent flowers to that officer's funeral?

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Soooo, which one of you were in those woods calling out to warn him, since he deserved a luxury none of his victims got?

What do you suppose would have happened if you'd been wandering around in those woods calling for him? Assuming he heard you through dense trees 100's of yards away, do you think he'd have just come out and said, "Oh, my bad"?

Or do you suppose you'd be the main attraction at the newest crime scene?

He killed in front of an eye witnesses, and fired on officers previously. So they should have made themselves clearer targets?

Would you have sent flowers to that officer's funeral?

Then cops should open fire on any suspected gang banger hanging on the street corner right? Many of these guys have guns, almost all are dangerous, and almost all are criminals, and almost all of them have committed crimes they haven't been tried for yet. So the pigs can just shoot them from a distance so long as the now dead suspect can be linked to any crime it's all good.

Sounds like a great country to live in.