What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Microgrow Questions

RileyStylee

To start off, I've been inspired by the classic Dr. Bud thread to start planning my own microgrow.

I know there are better ways to evaluate lighting for plants, but I feel in this case it is at least tolerable.

In Dr. Bud's grow, he uses 42 watt cfl that give off 2800 lumens, iirc. I have found 22 watt LED bulbs (2700k) that emit 2500 lumens. Is this enough of a significant difference that the same number of bulbs, five in this case, is going to make a drastic difference in the theoretical yield? The energy savings would be satisfying, even with the relatively low cost as it stands.

I ask because this would be a grow for a variety if cannabinoids for medical usage, particularly cbd/cbdv, cbg, and thc/thcv. The yield is important as the person who needs it has lots of medical issues and would very likely use lots. Even if not, I'd rather be able to have more, not less.

Another question I have is regarding a small wick system, passive hydroponics, for plants and containers which are the same size as Dr. Bud's. I feel like the amount of water is so small the risk of any pathogens and/or cooties getting in there is small. If deemed a bad idea, I can always use soil.

I think that does it for an off the top post, I'll add more questions if I think of any.

Thank you!

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Good question friend. It's important to watch the plant's growth under any lighting system. If the plants are lanky then add more light. If the plant stays too short and squatty raise or reduce the light wattage. You will need to dial in to find the right setup. Every new garden has to be worked with until you find the sweet spot.

As far as what substrate to use it's better to start with soil if you are new to gardening. After you master the soil then you can work with soil-less. However either will work fine if you watch the ec and pH. Keep us posted on your micro grow and good luck and happy gardening.