What's new

Micro Grow Hydro vs Soil

RileyStylee

I'm looking for some thoughts on planning a microgrow, specifically one that is very similar to the famous Dr. Budgreengenes.

I'm basically trying to figure out if hydro is worth pursuing in a very small, clone heavy grow style. By worth it, I mean to determine if the pros and cons of hydro are worth the hassle compared to soil.

I see soil as straight forward, a bit easier for a beginner, while hydro might lead to more yield, but also is more in depth and likely to fail imo.

I just don't know if chasing the hydro yield is worth it basically. Dr. Bud did great in soil, and while I will take a bit to get to that level of dialed in, I imagine it would serve me well. However, this grow would be for medical usage, not just for fun, and the amount of flower gotten is very important, so it is worth pursuing.

I just need some insight into if hydro would be appropriate for a micro grow similar to Dr.budgreen genese.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I'm looking for some thoughts on planning a microgrow, specifically one that is very similar to the famous Dr. Budgreengenes.

I'm basically trying to figure out if hydro is worth pursuing in a very small, clone heavy grow style. By worth it, I mean to determine if the pros and cons of hydro are worth the hassle compared to soil.

I see soil as straight forward, a bit easier for a beginner, while hydro might lead to more yield, but also is more in depth and likely to fail imo.

I just don't know if chasing the hydro yield is worth it basically. Dr. Bud did great in soil, and while I will take a bit to get to that level of dialed in, I imagine it would serve me well. However, this grow would be for medical usage, not just for fun, and the amount of flower gotten is very important, so it is worth pursuing.

I just need some insight into if hydro would be appropriate for a micro grow similar to Dr.budgreen genese.
Good question friend. If you are new at growing soil may be the best way to start. However when the soil depletes all its reserves it's time to use a complete fertilizer. If you are new to growing I would recommend you get an inexpensive or cheap EC and pH meter so you can learn what is in the soil.

IF starting with hydro you really need an EC and pH meter because without these you can have problems.

Ca++

I don't know this famous guy, but if he uses soil, and he impresses you, then trying to beat him with hydro, might be asking a lot of a newbie.

The yield difference between the two, is not that great. Maybe 10% in most peoples hands. Some hydro systems just won't be better at all. It's not a silver bullet

limegreenlimey

How about passive hydro? A soilless mix like perlite/vermiculite or Coco/pumice. A wick system. A reservoir beneath your pot with a few litres of water and (or not, as you prefer) nutrients. I agree with CreeperPark that investing in meters, especially a pH meter, is the best money you can spend. Personally, I found hydro much easier than organic and much more productive but "small" is quite a broad description. What are the dimensions of the grow area?

albertgriffiths

I would say soil or coco.
Hydro might yield more... but you might as well totally screw it up and get nothing.

With a good super soil, or basic organic liquid nutrients (biobizz etc...), you won't worry as much about PH, salts and nutrition, and you'll have more time to focus on your environment (which might be the challenging part in a micro grow)

Your strain selection could make your first try easier too - some are known to be bulletproof for beginners, good smokes, and not too stretchy. Northern lights comes to mind.

Reactions: X15

jokerman

Premium user
I use soil and amend it with craft blend from builda soil.
If you are looking for quantity thats one thing.
Quality is easier with organics IMHO
your milage may vary

Ca++

Good question friend. If you are new at growing soil may be the best way to start. However when the soil depletes all its reserves it's time to use a complete fertilizer. If you are new to growing I would recommend you get an inexpensive or cheap EC and pH meter so you can learn what is in the soil.

IF starting with hydro you really need an EC and pH meter because without these you can have problems.
Meters are a good call. With this build not yet started, their is time to order some from China. We have seen them from under a dollar, to as much as 10 dollars a pair. The same things might cost $35 on Amazon. While a dollar might get you them in 6 weeks, that $10 will have them in 5 days.
I wouldn't start a grow without them. Plus the calibrations solutions, of course.

RileyStylee

I appreciate everyone's input. It seems to be the group consensus that hydro is more risky, yields a little more but might be too risky for a beginner.

I'm leaning toward soil due to your input and reading, but still keeping an open mind.

Yield matters a lot, as the medicine is sorely, sorely needed, but I have to succeed first.

I'm going to attach the link to the thread of Dr. Budgreengenes.

Do you guys think this is a realistic goal, eventually? He claims 7 to 21 grams from one clone with cfls, seems high.

I was strongly considering using Mars hydro ts 1000 instead of cfls, but would also appreciate thoughts on these lights. Seems to be a decent light from my reading.

Brother Nature

Personally I'd jump straight into the hydro if that is what you want to try. There is no better teacher than experience, but it would all be very dependent on the size space you are using. A hydro system would take up more space than soil and you can still get great yields in soil with a good light like you're thinking of using. Could always do a soil run then move to coco, then to hydro, to test what works best for you.

albertgriffiths

10g / 3l pot, SOG style, soil, with a ts1000, seems a fair estimate to me.

I'm always throwing one or two plants like that in a normal, long-veg run (freebies, testers, bagseeds...), and I've never gotten less than 4g nor more than 22g. That's very strain-dependent in my experience.

Ca++

I looked at that thread, and saw a line of twiglets worth 3.5 - 7g. A page later I saw some 14g plants, which was basically a couple of 7g branches. I also got the idea there wouldn't be over 100w per foot being used. I didn't look much though.

Some plants respond better, and just a few days veg can make a difference. My 8 week plants did eighths n quarters though. I have the results around somewhere, but don't remember doing 21g

I Care

Grow whatever media is readily available to you. Remember that your meds are going to be up to 90 days out, or more, from when you pot your rooted clones. From what I have gathered, hydro is going to present you with problems in a small space. Unless you live in a very dry place or you’re running an air conditioner to constantly keep the air in your space dry and cool.

The winter conditions I’m dealing with now are totally different from the conditions requiring 24/7 air conditioning I experienced before. I thought soil growing would be easy and I would have zero problems, instead I have been battling rapidly fluctuating conditions all year. Major difference from having a climate controlled space, outside of the grow space, to regulate temperature and humidity inside the grow space. Hydro would only further complicate the issue in my case.

The guy I got my HPS set up from said that he has gone to a no till soil indoor garden after battling the New England weather in his basement growing hydro and aero.

Consider your environmental conditions, if you’re in a constantly dry climate or using A/C to maintain a cool and dry space, hydro will work without trouble.

Ca++

I had a bit of a flash back earlier. I liked hydro in my early days, because you could just rinse everything out with fresh feed. Mistakes in soil need correcting, but in hydro, you just wash them away, with a feed known to be good. This quickly removes a whole area of possible errors, so you can look at other things if there is a problem. The only feed issue, is it's strength and pH

Cuddles

I´ve considered growing in hydro again and again but haven´t tried so far. My mum swears by it but she doesn´t grow weed,lol.
It can´t be worse than my experience with coco. Because that cannot be topped in terms of grow disasters...

Latest posts

Latest posts