What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

micro carbon scrubber

sugabear_II

Veteran
spliffdiddy I set mine up facing out - i.e. pulling air through the filter and pushing out the fan. You can also set it up the other way too - but probably not as efficient depending upon your fan.

Deffinetly will be using this... I think i'll be using two PCI slot fans(if the filters will allow(possibly make smaler ones) and even one for my PSU slot fan.. Will be intersting to see how i can pull that off....

Futher more.. If this hasnt been sticked.. IT NEEDS TO Be!

ReeferDan said:
What is the formula for intake vs. exhaust for a negative pressure system (or whatever system is the best for smell proofing/growing mmj?) isnt it intake is 2x exhaust? if so, i'll need a big intake, i think i'll put a piece of carbon matt filter over the intake part.

What he said... For a negative pressure... Wouldnt it be the Exhuast = 2x the intake??

Ix2=E

Not Ex2=I... Seems to me that would just cause a pressure buildup... well not really..more like static air inside your case??

I plan on using 2x80mm fans with micro scrubbers, a PCI slot fan with a micro scrubber, and only one intake fan... maybe an 80mm or a 120mm, and then IF i use a partition... probably will since im going MICRO hydro :).. I'll have an 80mm W/o the scrubber mounted there on the partition

sugabear_II

Veteran
MushuHappiness said:
What he said... For a negative pressure... Wouldnt it be the Exhuast = 2x the intake??

Ix2=E

Not Ex2=I... Seems to me that would just cause a pressure buildup... well not really..more like static air inside your case??

I plan on using 2x80mm fans with micro scrubbers, a PCI slot fan with a micro scrubber, and only one intake fan... maybe an 80mm or a 120mm, and then IF i use a partition... probably will since im going MICRO hydro :).. I'll have an 80mm W/o the scrubber mounted there on the partition

HMM good question - for negative pressue you do actually want slightly less intake than what would give you a completely free flowing passive intake.

For a single PCI slot fan I used one 2" OD (1.5" ID) PVC dual elbow style light trap. in my veg / micro cab and achieved some negative pressure.

for my bigger cabinets I always had a big fan and negative pressure was neverr an issue.

Connoisseur300

Smoke it if ya got it!!
Veteran
I purchas my carbon from wally-world. it's 5 bucks a pop and it takes two to fill my filter. And the rule of thumb is 2x the exaust. So my fan hase a 4 inch exaust I need 8 inches of hole for my intake. That can be 8 one inch holes or 4 two inch holes.

Not really cos it's the area that matters. 8 inch hole would be 50 sq inch and two 4 inch holes would only be 25 sq inch.

If 2 times the exhaust is accurate you'd want 25 sq inches of hole, so for a 4 inch exhaust you'd want two 4 inch intakes or one ~6inch.

G

Got this little problem...
First I thought it was the coal (active coal from the shop) that needs to be replaced but it' more likely it has sth to do with the thickness of the layer...quess it's not thick enough.

I've made this yesterday hoping it would solve my worries but it's all the same

dsc00512aa3.jpg

It's attached to 120mm fan 12V (75cfm)...the layer itself is almost 1'' thick...
2 plants are now 5 weeks into flower and I would very much like to get rid of the odor. thx
:badday:

Last edited:

sugabear_II

Veteran
Prksy said:
Got this little problem...
First I thought it was the coal (active coal from the shop) that needs to be replaced but it' more likely it has sth to do with the thickness of the layer...quess it's not thick enough.

dsc00512aa3.jpg

It's attached to 120mm fan 12V (75cfm)...the layer itself is almost 1'' thick...
2 plants are now 5 weeks into flower and I would very much like to get rid of the odor. thx
:badday:

gosh I feel for you PrKsy - let me ask some questions to see if I can offer some help;

1. Are you sure it is "activated" carbon? - does it help the smell at all?
2. What is your exhaust fan setup? are you using just computer fans?
3. Do you have negative pressure in your grow space? does the door "suck" shut when you close it?

I'm not sure how to fix the problem because you've tried two setups so far and neither setup seems to be able to control the odor in spite of the thickness of carbon - makes me think the carbon is not working - cause you would at least get some smell reduction from the filter which should increase up until the point your fan can no longer push through the carbon.

I guess if things don't work out I would, if I were you, consider - building a different style of carbon filter such as the SunIsShining one that would have more surface area or go out and buy a professional model at a hydro store - the prices have come down considerably and a can2600 filter can be had for under $50USD which will cover most small grows for 18 months.

Good luck and sorry that this filter has not worked out for you :puppydoge .

Also consider the timed mist odor neutralizing air freshners in the room to help cover things until you get it under control with carbon.

Hey Suga... Is it best to blow through, or pull through a filter... I've got some that i've made with screens(window screen) and put it on the back of my PC case blowing through it... Doesnt seem very efficient right now, just wanted to make sure what was best to better adapt my strategy for it.

Prksy said:

dsc00512aa3.jpg

Prksy - What did you use to make that(For the supporting material, not the mesh)? That looks pretty sweet and kind of what I want to try and go for. Also, what are the dimension of it? Any details you could share would be amazing as I want to try that sort of filter in my PC case, having a hard time figuring out what to mount to 2 80mm fans and that right there looks like it would work amazing.

Connoisseur300

Smoke it if ya got it!!
Veteran
Prksy-that is a sweet little filter. I do agree with sugabear 2 that maby you have the wrong carbon(or something). because your design seem pretty good.

G

Thanks for the feedback guys :)

@sugabear...
1. It's active coal for aquarium filters, friend of mine used it on a bigger filter and it worked for him (at least that's what he said :bashhead: )
Personally I also think that's the problem.
2. Yep, just the computer fans...this one is set so it blows the air from the filter and not at him. There is one (also 120mm) getting the fresh air in. Temp is normal...
3. I have a few tinny leaks...but i don't think they're the problem.

I'm not from US and don't have "easy" acces to hydro shops :D and have to work with materials at hand...

@MushuHappiness
Supporting material are just wood battens and plywood, nothing special.
Dimension is 6,3 x 6,3'' ;-)
Try to figure out the rest cause I can't explain it to you better than that :p sorry....if I've made it...sure you will too :headbange

@Connoisseur300 ... thanks :rasta:

I'll push it till the end and then find some solution to this situation...

Peace yall :wave:

sugabear_II

Veteran
hey Prksy,

I would not use a second fan for "getting the fresh air in" as you say. It's always best in micro grow conditions to have only active exhaust with passive intake - by that I mean fans only blowing out of the space (plus one for circulation) but no fans blowing in.

This means all air is getting pulled through the filter and out. You want all open gaps and intake to be pulling air in passively.

What you have now is creating a positive air pressure in your space and air is trying to find it's way out with least resistence and that may be through the cracks instead of the filter. And hence the smell.

I would turn off the active intake fan. If temps are a problem then make both fans active exhaust fans each with their own filter.

hope this helps.

-suga