What's new

Micro Bubble Cloner (easiest thing to do!)

thescissors

heh... i have two clones in a "commuter cup" with two airstones, a dual-channel airpump, and covered with alu foil (clones poked through holes in foil)... i think my temps are too low tho!! ;(

are you supposed to immerse the stems in the bubbling water? or not???? ive got to find a warmer place for this thing! ;)

Last edited:

pieceofmyheart

Veteran
Yes the stems should be in the bubbly water, if you have to remove leaves to do that go ahead, you dont want them in the water.

I have mine in my seedling veg cab which is warm and I think the humidity from the bubbler helps my seedlings. Also if I put the pump in the cab it also helps to warm it up.

When I transplant my seedlings to a bigger container, they get moved to my bigger veg area.

damn.....that avatar......I know now, it is the singer from Nirvana right? he has the sexiest look about him *fans herself madly*

Last edited:
P

PonicalChillin

just a tip.

If you go down the tubing isle at LOWES they have 1/4" airline tubing that is completely black. It is also really bendable unlike the tuff 1/4" dripline you get at the hydro shop.

I prefer it over the clear for the fact that it doesn't grow algae if you get some water on the inside or whatever. Plus it looks damn cool and only runs around $0.08 per ft.

--

Water temps too cold?
Grab a submersible heater.
(titanium or stainless steel would be preferable over glass)

I've rooted in extreme COLD air temps using a heater to keep my water temp right at 78F. It was though the plants didn't even care about their air temps as long as the water was warm.

NOTE: once you get roots...and/or once you add a mild nutrient solution; be sure to get those temps back down to 68F to prevent algae.

__

Later,
PC

Last edited:

pieceofmyheart

Veteran
Thank you Ponical, great tip. I do find that the clear ones grow algea, makes sense huh?

Well I will have to get some from Lowes.

thescissors

pomh: yes, the man who ended the hairbands... (for a while anyway... ;))

my problem with my pump is it is so loud! i need to hide it away in a cold bathroom in order to keep it "under wraps"... i need to either get a new, quieter one, or box it up in a foam-lined box... ;)

Sunset

My bubbler is not working os well for me..

My bubbler is not working os well for me..

Hi :wave: , made one of these bubbler-cloner. Cuts are starting to look like crap. :fsu: :pointlaug Only cut 4,two have brown spots appearing on their leaves,

one the leaves are curling. One looks like it was cut yesterday. I added some tap water to fill most of the tub, then topped off with Olivia's cloning solution.(approx 8oz just to bring water level up to stems) bubbler has been running 24/7 w/20watt cfl plant light above about 12" above. I have been keeping in my veg box at 75-80 degrees.
I have seen some that say leave water till roots appear & plant. Some folks say to change water everyday.

Any & all help would be appreciated! I have never tried to clone before, I just thought this would be clean & easy. Plus all made from stuff I had in the house. Rapid rooters & such I would have to buy.

Last edited:

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
It could be any number of things, but off the bat I personally would first suspect the Olivia's. I use straight tap water, same temps and all is good. The cuts rarely even yellow at all, let alone start looking sickly. You don't need any type of cloning solution. Simplify, simplify, simplify is my mantra when it comes to cloning.

Changing the water daily isn't necessary at all. Maybe weekly, if you have the time. My experience has been that I got the brown slimey stuff on the walls of my cloner from two things:

- using cloning solution
- temps too high. (I try for 70-80 F)

Peace-

Dignan

Last edited:

alphacat

FUCK PETCO.

FUCK PETCO.

For what it's worth don't give money to Petco, for two reasons: 1) they ain't the cheapest by a long shot, and 2) they treat their critters fucking abominably.

Instead, check out www.drsfostersmith.com and their specials/clearance sections for aquarium supplies (pumps, heaters and thermostats, & bubblers). The Whisper 40 pump that Piece used in the orig. post is on sale there for $10 instead of Petco's $17 "sale price". They have decent deals on shipping too.

re: Olivia's - could be mistaken but I thought Olivia's was meant just to dip the whole root system in prior to planting the clone - not as a water additive.

pieceofmyheart

Veteran
Sunset, I am with dignan on this one. Keep it simple. I use tap water, well mine is well water but it is still from my tap. I do not use any additives, I did the first time and it left a nasty film all over the stem and my bubbler, I tossed that stuff.

I dont think the water needs to be changed daily either.

If they still look bad, you could start over. Remove them, cut the stem at an angle, change the water and start over. You also could try cutting the leaves, you don't need them. I cut them about halfway, so there is some plant material but not a lot. Don't have the light too close and then give them some time. Mine do tend to get a bit wilty, but they come back.

You dont want the plant concentrating on leaf growth, you want root growth.

Be patient and good luck.

btw...it can take a couple of weeks for the roots to show much growth

Last edited:

SpacedCWBY

Veteran
Thanks POMH! I just read another thread about using perlite and some wicking material. Hard to come by that stuff here in the winter. I'm going your way! Thanks ma'am.

LizardKing

Man this thread is a lifesaver, I'm starting to build my set up and needed a cheap/easy to use cloner, looks like I will be building one of these come payday.

pieceofmyheart

Veteran
Very cool LizardKing...so glad to help. I got my initial idea from an ICer, mtnjohn, but I made mine a lot smaller to go with my micro stuff. lol

SomeGuy

668, Neighbor of the Beast
I saw one of these in the old overgrow faq and another thread here and built it and its a work of art!

I use plain water ph'd to 6.1 and change it every 2 or 3 days, keep the temps at 79-80 degrees and have had 100% success. I used closed cell foam to hold the cutting about 1/4 to 3/8 inches above the water. I've experimented with using cloning gel but havent really noticed a difference. I built a second box and blacked it out to see if less light speeds it up but havent run it long enough to comment either way. I do like the clear boxes as peeking to see if you have roots is easier.

Some of the little buggers took up to 14 days to show roots where others have been ready for dirt in as little as 7 days.

I'm sold!

G

i'm receiving my first cuts this weekend and just went out to purchase the supplies! can't wait to get 'er started!

EDIT: How long do you have to wait after they initially root to transplant them?
i take it you would need to wait until they had at least 1-2" of tap root?

Last edited:

JWP

tap water + bubbles = roots :headbange

Edit: No ph adjustment. Just water + bubbles + fluro's. walk away and 7 days later you'll have nice rootage ready for plantage. I do flowering clones cut at 21 days flower. excellent for scrog!

Last edited:
G

guest5703

I set my bubbler on a heat mat, my room gets cold as hell and the mat seems to be working enough.....I left the water in for two weeks, I read somewhere else you can do this no problem and I did rooting clones all the way til two weeks. Also I let the light in and there is no problem at all. No algae, no root rot, they don't have time to rot and I even let them sit and root for at least 3-4 days until side shoots then transplant like the man said ;)

This is way easier and better on the clones imo than domes, plugs, gel, etc. but I still have both

JWP-
I do flowering clones cut at 21 days flower. excellent for scrog!

Maybe a little longer to wait for the re-veg but that would be my only complaint. Other than that I think this is a very cool concept and I agree it would be super efficient for lst or scrog. PEACE

Last edited:

GlassGrow

I was just wondering, instead of using Pool Noodles and such why dont you just use Aluminium foil and poke the clone thru it?