What's new

Michigan Question

WorldIsanOyster

Can anyone give any good sources in Michigan for bulk:

Perlite
Worm Castings
Canadian sphagnum peat moss
Compost

And does anyone know if michigan Peat moss the same as Canadian sphagnum peat moss?

http://www.statecrushing.com/pricing/ - These guys seem super cheap for the compost and Michigan peat

Thanks for any help!!

growingcrazy

Since I see the link you posted is from OC, I can help a little.

DMF bait in waterford is a source of EWC. Might be called Earthworms unlimited or something now. They will do bulk truckloads.

Remember that most all of the compost you are going to find in OC is simply municipal yard waste. Most of the bulk companies get it for free locally or are a drop off site for tree companies. Mostly wood chips and one year old leaf mulch. Not an optimum compost.

As much as I would like to say to buy peat from State crushing, you still aren't going to get as consistent of a product as found in a bale of Premier SM. A 50/50 mix has worked well in the past. All depends on how much soil we are talking here..

Any of the nurseries in the area are good for perlite/vermiculite. It is fairly difficult to find a pumice source locally. Most will need to be purchase and further broken down for our use. I can recommend Bordines or tellys for either. As well as indoorganics in Auburn hills if you need a shop. Good dude runs the place.

Uncle lukes feed store is the best source in the area for bulk soil amendments if you are in need. They have large and small amounts depending on what you want.

I lived in the area for a number of years growing organically. It has gotten easier to find things over the years but not everything is available outside the grow store.

Peace
GC