What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mexican Red Hair

Keif Cake

Veteran
Anyone know what I'm talking about? I remember back in the brick days, "it's some red hair" was a solid selling point and i cant ever remember getting some boof red hair.

I wonder what the genetics to it were, and is the red hair just a product of the sun like Panama showing pink.

I haven't seen anything in forums, seed form, or anything referring to it, and have been thinking about it more and more lately as I've gotten better at the pure sativas.

OntologicalTurn

Anyone know what I'm talking about? I remember back in the brick days, "it's some red hair" was a solid selling point and i cant ever remember getting some boof red hair.

I wonder what the genetics to it were, and is the red hair just a product of the sun like Panama showing pink.

I haven't seen anything in forums, seed form, or anything referring to it, and have been thinking about it more and more lately as I've gotten better at the pure sativas.
In Mexico we called "pelirroja" basically to any plant that had many red pistils. There must be dozens of different regional landraces that go by that name.

But likewise, as I have said in other posts, the names they use in the US market do not correspond to the names by which Mexican farmers knew them.

Keif Cake

Veteran
In Mexico we called "pelirroja" basically to any plant that had many red pistils. There must be dozens of different regional landraces that go by that name.

But likewise, as I have said in other posts, the names they use in the US market do not correspond to the names by which Mexican farmers knew them.
Ive never heard of any named varieties, i figure that had to have been at least a few different ones.

Im kind of surprised there hasnt been someone working with one of them

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi @Keif Cake I also experienced a few very hairy red Mexicans in my youth. As @OntologicalTurn correctly pointed out, the red pistil is a trait that is not rare to find in American sativas due to influx of Punto Rojo genetics in big part of the old sativa gene pool of the continent.

The closest we currently offer to Mexican red hair in look, effects and terpenes would be the Mexican pheno of our pure Honduras that you are familiarized with.

Keif Cake

Veteran
Hi @Keif Cake I also experienced a few very hairy red Mexicans in my youth. As @OntologicalTurn correctly pointed out, the red pistil is a trait that is not rare to find in American sativas due to influx of Punto Rojo genetics in big part of the old sativa gene pool of the continent.

The closest we currently offer to Mexican red hair in look, effects and terpenes would be the Mexican pheno of our pure Honduras that you are familiarized with.
Sweet! I need make room to sort through the Mexican line in the breeders pack then, glad to know i already some of the genetics on hand

Rgd

Veteran

in 1986 I met some people in Progresso
they spoke of Mexican Red Hair they had bought joints in Oaxaca because the guy wanted to take all the seeds out..’[hmm sounds like boss genetics]
the guy I met said they had to take cold showers to try to come down..they got so ripped..

[of course I was jealous]

speaking of Mexican

CBF gave me some mex seed that Tom hill had done an open pollenation of years ago

I only had 4 seeds..I got two males and females and repro'd them few years ago..
I just regrew some and am in the process of smoke testing them
I have 6 plants they are all different..
sampled one yesterday
it was very pleasant dank tasting happy ,up weed..
of course I need to try that one again but I liked it

soon to try another plant in a few minutes
fun times..

Last edited:

Rgd

Veteran
tried 4 of 6..two I like...the tight ones not so much
its not exceptional weed unless maybe you grew out a pile..but the two I like ,
I could smoke everyday,,because its happy stuff
and easy to grow..the two I liked look similar and could yield well,
..may try them outdoors next year
sorry it’s not Mex Redhair.,had to get this review out of my system

Keif Cake

Veteran
love those woody tasting old school Mexicans of happy giggly effects 🥰
Looks like 6-8 weeks i will be experiencing some woody fresh smelling Mexicans.
The next time the Honduras cut is run will be with the Oaxcan 79 run coming up, so i can hit with a male or two
tried 4 of 6..two I like...the tight ones not so much
its not exceptional weed unless maybe you grew out a pile..but the two I like ,
I could smoke everyday,,because its happy stuff
and easy to grow..the two I liked look similar and could yield well,
..may try them outdoors next year
sorry it’s not Mex Redhair.,had to get this review out of my system
Ive recently started bricking up some of the less desirable, less potent, very airy bud to ferment it. Fit 3 or 4 times the amount in the same joint should help a lot, especially since many of the sativas have a very high ceiling
Some people call the orange hair ones red hair, i personally would love to find one with the flame red, but that was very rare.

rolandomota

Veteran
Yes thats the problem most of the time its orange hairs I haven't seen anything with red pistil in a long time. I did see some last year n a plant i grew i don't know what it was it died on me it might have been mexico seed I planted or Mr nice seeds I just don't know

Here's a picture of some of the latest real mexico seed not wannabe stuff lol 😂

I always remember that I offered a couple of seed companies my constantly growing collection of Mexican genetics (ace included said he was too busy)but they just don't want these seeds wether it's because i dont know where they come from so no fancy names, or that they are from 2015 until now and probably for the rest of my life i will keep collecting 😕 .....their loss man this pic is just the tip of the iceberg ❄
Not red hair in the weed picture it's orange im currently smoking and collecting it It's #12 it's way more than 12 different types I have though I just started numbering them 😉

Attachments

• 1691266383983655959621413902021.jpg
    1691266383983655959621413902021.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 121
  • 20230728_154920.jpg
    20230728_154920.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 134
Last edited:

Keif Cake

Veteran
Nice!
My basket of brick fermentations. Probably about a pound in there, theres 4 or 5 oz of the A Gold. I'm starting to ferment a portion of everything now, have some Super Panama Haze and Zenith in there.
20230805_201634.jpg

Here's the only pure Mexican genetics ive finished so far. Mass Medical/Bodhi Acapulco Gold.
20230805_202300.jpg
20230805_202254.jpg
20230805_202011.jpg
20230805_202005.jpg

This A Gold looks miles better bricked.
Each one is 70 grams or more

I traded some beans with someone recently, and got a Snowhigh Acapulco Gold reproduction that someone made on Overgrow, his appears to be a much better smoke than the Bodhi stock, and ill be popping those around the 1st of the year. I havent really smoked any of it, its especially undesirable in extra.fluffy bud form, but bricked up, im interested in trying it after it ferments a while.

Some half Mexican, Honduras from Colombian pack. This one smells incredibly delicious.

20230805_203122.jpg
20230805_203127.jpg

Last edited:

jmoneygrip

We still talk about that tasty, resinous bright green Central American red hair from high school, likely Mexico. Sunshine in a bag. I snagged some of the Panamanian hybrid to try to capture that nostalgia, I’m thinking the green pheno might be close!

Also keeping an eye out for the Honduran, maybe it’s also similar. Would love a Mexican Sativa tho.

Keif Cake

Veteran
We still talk about that tasty, resinous bright green Central American red hair from high school, likely Mexico. Sunshine in a bag. I snagged some of the Panamanian hybrid to try to capture that nostalgia, I’m thinking the green pheno might be close!

Also keeping an eye out for the Honduran, maybe it’s also similar. Would love a Mexican Sativa tho.
Ill take some pics of the Mexican Honduras tonight when lights come on.
Its got that lite lime green color to it, it's not dark like the Colombian. The smell is very aromatic woody, cant quite place it yet, but it smells very nice. The buds are nice dense spears also, really nice bud structure, ready to see how it breaks up and smokes.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
The Bodhi AG was jungle vine weed with very little trichome coverage and dreadful flavor when I grew it...Keif, is the overgrow stuff from ClassicGenetix? I have some seeds from him that is supposed to be two Snow High AGs crossed.

Keif Cake

Veteran
The Bodhi AG was jungle vine weed with very little trichome coverage and dreadful flavor when I grew it...Keif, is the overgrow stuff from ClassicGenetix? I have some seeds from him that is supposed to be two Snow High AGs crossed.
Idk, i traded with someone on RIU for them. I think its the 68 and 72 crossed, i think one was purple. Im at work now, but i think i have an image on RIU of the seeds. Let me go. Check.

Same experience i had, although it smells much better bricked, haven't sampled it yet, hope the fermentation helps the flavor a lot.

I know the AG thread i was reading before accepting the trade, looked quite nice! Certainly not the same stoc
Screenshot_20230810_084607_Firefox.jpg